14 replies to this topic

#1 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Looks like the Senate is getting involved, finally. Its about time someone made the DoD stand up and explain just what "we take care of our own" really means.

Sen Murray on the Hunt

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#2 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8272 posts
  • SKP#:50964

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

Brian, thanks for the article. Glad to see that some representatives get it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

#3 right stuff

right stuff

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm a 2 tour Viet Nam Vet. I was diagnosed with PTSD about 13 years ago. That's a little late for the diagnosis considering that I was discharged in 1970 and showed signs of PTSD back then. My hope is that more politicians take this Senator's lead because the earlier a vet gets diagnosed and treated, the less damage to his or her life. This is a serious issue for all those young guys returning to civilian life because PTSD not only affects the returning vet, it affects everyone around them.
Andy & Carole From the Nature Coast of Florida

#4 Paul Stough

Paul Stough

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 778 posts
  • SKP#:105348

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Kinda of a side note, but how is PTSD treated?

Paul
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure

#5 imadtchmn

imadtchmn

• Validated Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Paul, here is a link for information on PTSD from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

logo.jpg
imadtchmn (I'm a Dutchman)
1998 Chevy Silverado Dually 6.5L TB Diesel w/plenty of power mods
2001 Dutchmen Classic ES33 2 slides
Class of 2016 Come visit our Class

event.png

We're getting there one day at a time. Wishing for a fast forward button.

#6 Paul Stough

Paul Stough

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 778 posts
  • SKP#:105348

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Paul, here is a link for information on PTSD from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Thank you!

Paul
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure

#7 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 769 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

I still remember the instant stigma attached to someone using mental services. Almost like a scarlet letter on your next APR. You gave the mental clinic a wide berth if you were at the hospital. There is a nice new mental clinic here on DM. Away from the hospital in a quiet area of the base.. Parking lot empty except for staff parking spots. Yet, DM has a good number of troops rotating in and out of the sandbox.
Dave & Tish
Beagles Bagle & Snoopy
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

"I went through a door but forget what was on the other side. I would go through it again but I forgot which door it is."

#8 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Mental disorders while on active duty have always been a death bell to your career, sadly. If you had any kind of security clearance or a job which required you to be armed, you step into the mental health clinic and you no longer have the clearance for either. Supposedly the military is changing in that regard but not being active duty and only dealing with Vets on my site, I can't honestly say if the attitude has changed.

PTSD as a diagnosis/term is new since the Viet Nam war. However the malady has been around as long as there has been conflict. Prior the Nam Vets complaining about their problems and being very vocal about it, the disorder was called "shell shock" and various other things. Sadly the military likes to use the term "adjustment disorder" but the reasoning for that can get political rather quickly and I'll not get into that here. If you'd like to know more on that subject, please come to my Veterans board/forum by clicking the link in my sig.

As far as treatment for PTSD goes there are many forms of treatment and the sooner one is treated they better chance they have for a decent quality of life. Some "professionals" say it is curable. In my 30+ years of dealing with it personally, I've never known anyone to actually be "cured" of PTSD. Its more of learning the skills to recognize it when it shows up and how to deal with it so it does not overwhelm your life.

PTSD is NOT only from combat, it is from any form of trauma. Its just that the military/VA is more apt to see it being caused by combat conditions. Civilians get it too. Things like car accidents, house fires, tornadoes, or just anything that devastates your life can cause PTSD.

Nam Vets have always had to show they were in combat in order to get a rating from the VA for PTSD. That is because Nam supposedly had "safe" areas. Whereas the Vets of the current conflicts have no "safe" areas. As a result, many are being diagnosed with PTSD simply by being in country. Personally I think this is a good thing although I'm sure there are some that take advantage of the system. Its human nature to do something like that.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#9 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8272 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'd be cautious about the combat test as PTSD happens every day to police officers, Fire Fighters who witness a death or loses a save attempt on a child and sees it. Getting mugged or wounded in a robbery or being in an airplane crash. Carjackings, home invasions, rapes, you name it. And yes I agree that the mental health clinic is not a place many active duty will go. So it isn't restricted to the military or combat.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

#10 JBT

JBT

• Banned Users
  • 271 posts
  • SKP#:111300

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

Interesting, I was looking thru my MEB/PEB info yesterday, trying to locate some information for the VA, (Again!) noticed that I had been diagnosed with "Anxiety Disorder" when I was discharged at Madigan Army Hospital in 2008. Since I was diagnosed with PTSD shortly after leaving the Army, and am still undergoing treatment, might just give my congressmen a call! There is a phone number to call in one of the articles I have read, also going to call them.
I also want to say thanks, it's rare that I can discuss publicly my diagnosis given all the "shame" that was heaped on the Vietnam Vet generation for their PTSD issues. Every little bit of treatment helps me deal with my issues, and seeing others discuss it publicly helps me.

Thanks
John

#11 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Interesting, I was looking thru my MEB/PEB info yesterday, trying to locate some information for the VA, (Again!) noticed that I had been diagnosed with "Anxiety Disorder" when I was discharged at Madigan Army Hospital in 2008. Since I was diagnosed with PTSD shortly after leaving the Army, and am still undergoing treatment, might just give my congressmen a call! There is a phone number to call in one of the articles I have read, also going to call them.
I also want to say thanks, it's rare that I can discuss publicly my diagnosis given all the "shame" that was heaped on the Vietnam Vet generation for their PTSD issues. Every little bit of treatment helps me deal with my issues, and seeing others discuss it publicly helps me.

Thanks
John

John,

You are a prime example of what this whole thing is about and why I posted it.

Check out the link in my sig, you and all Vets would be welcome there.

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..

#12 JBT

JBT

• Banned Users
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

John,

You are a prime example of what this whole thing is about and why I posted it.

Check out the link in my sig, you and all Vets would be welcome there.

Brian, been to your site several times, really appreciate the info there, and the time and effort you have spent.
John

#13 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8272 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

I don't have PTSD John and I am grateful for Brian's site too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

#14 JBT

JBT

• Banned Users
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

I hope I'm able to attach this article, it's the NEW Army policy on PTSD. I know that "Command Policies" get filtered by local Commanders, be interesting to see how this one holds up. Damn, says file to big to upload, I'll attach a link to the NBC article, there is a link to the policy in about the 20th paragraph, "guidelines"
Thanks
John

http://usnews.msnbc....-diagnosis?lite

#15 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Here's the meat of the part about the Army.

In addition to the review, the Army announced in April new guidelines for diagnosing and treating PTSD, advising clinicians that fraudulent or exaggerated claims are "rare" and "unlikely." The guidelines also cautioned against attributing current symptoms associated with PTSD to certain diagnoses like personality disorder and adjustment disorder.

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..