• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Geopupps

Geopupps

• Validated Members
  • 7 posts
  • SKP#:109787

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Right now, we have a tv that came with the unit and we think its broken. Can we get a regular replacement tv from the store or do we need to get an RV specific tv? I think the tv we have is a 20" flat screen and it is/was not digital ready. Any info would be great! Thank you and have a great and safe week!

Sincerely,
Snow and Anton

#2 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3377 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

No, you will not need a special TV. You will not be able to find a replacement for that TV but then again you would not want to anyway. You are going to be replacing that big bulky TV with a lightweight digital high definition TV. It's going to take some cabinet modifications either in mounting or as simply a way to secure the base to the cabinet.
Take the TV out and get the exact opening measurements and then go find the biggest TV that will fit and fits your budget. Bigger is better and you might even be able to go bigger than the opening by mounting to the outside of the cabinet as the new TV's can be very, very thin.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#3 don&penny

don&penny

• Validated Members
  • 175 posts
  • SKP#:106892

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

I am unaware of televisions specially made for RV's. We installed a 24" flat screen TV in our travel trailer last year. Since flat screens weren't around when my trailer was made, I had to make some minor modifications to install it on a swing arm mount, but it wasn't a big deal.

If your tv powers up and displays movies from a dvd, I would suggest you consider getting a digital converter box for the existing tv, instead of buying a digital ready tv (unless it's an old tube tv and you want to change to a flat screen), it would cost less.

Don

#4 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Just went to Best buy and purchased one that fit the space in the 5th wheel.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#5 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4505 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'll second the "buy as big as you can that will fit in your space". The space for our tv is only about 30" wide and was built for a big clunky cube shape monster.. And since tvs aren't shaped that way anymore, there's a big cavern with a flatscreen sitting in the mouth of the cave, oh, maybe 28" wide. And with the way some things get displayed on the tv screen such as a movie theater format, we might be looking at a picture that's not even a foot tall. In retrospect, I wish we had bought a bigger tv and mounted it in front of the cabinet where we could have gone considerably larger in size. Live & learn...

Just saying...

Looks like you have your new tv, though. :) Enjoy!!

Brian

#6 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16437 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Take a look and see if you can get one with LED illumination, it will be thinner and lighter than a fluorescent lit one.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#7 Billieg

Billieg

• Validated Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

I got 2 Viro's at Wal-Mart and love them. A lot less expensive than anywhere else and the picture is great.
2007 F-350 dually/diesel & 2007 Sunnybrook 391' 5th wheel & custom built Harley. Pine Island Fl.

#8 BillnCheryl

BillnCheryl

• Validated Members
  • 51 posts
  • SKP#:109578

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

We had 24.5 inches width to work with. Was able to find a 26" LED TV to fit the space. Samsung had the only 26" I could find that was just a shade under the 24.5" wide. All the other 26" flatscreens I looked at had so much plastic on the sides they were over 27" inches wide.

Bill

Edited by BillnCheryl, 27 March 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#9 alaska315

alaska315

• Validated Members
  • 484 posts
  • SKP#:110509

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Reported

#10 Photon

Photon

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

Take a look at the rated power consumption if you have any plans to run the new TV off your batteries. They aren't all the same. I was surprised to find the 32" LCD TV I bought a couple months ago draws over 20% more power than the 25" tube TV it replaced.

Edited by Photon, 12 April 2012 - 06:35 AM.

#11 TXiceman

TXiceman

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 664 posts
  • SKP#:108682

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Find a TV that fits your size and budget from Best Buy or Walmart. The ones that are so called "RV suitable" are not worth the money.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2012 Carriage Cameo 37RSQ, 2012 F350 6.7L, <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

#12 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3377 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Is there even such a thing as a TV known as "RV suitable"? I've never heard of such a thing.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#13 rvpainter

rvpainter

• Validated Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

jensen in their ads claims their TV's are special built for the bouncing and jarring while driving. I'm not sure why that is. We have a 32" Vizio
My Blog: rvpainter.blogspot.com

This post is my opinion. It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose. My opinion is based on some research, some experience and common sense.