• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Apparently DISH just released (3-15-2012) the new "Hopper and Joey System" to end users..

Records up to six (6) programs at once - - "2TB of storage for up to 2,000 hours of your favorite TV shows & movies."

Google - "Dish Hopper and Joey HD receiver". there's Info on multiple sites.

Link -

Hopper & Joey/s

DISH "Overview" - YouTube

What I got out of this - when you select the prime time option, it automatically records ALL the Network channels in HD (when available), during prime time hours for 8 days.
You can then pick and choose what programs you want to watch on any "Joey".
And/or you can record something like 1,000 hours of SD programming.

Not a techie, so maybe some of the Satellite TV "Pros" - can add their observations and the "pros and cons" of Hopper & Joey.

Edited by Leadfoot, 18 March 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#2 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4531 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

The main feature of the Hopper 2000 is that is is a Whole Home DVR.The Hopper does all the recording with its three tuners. In the future a second Hopper 2000 can be coupled to have a total of six tuners. A single Hopper can support up to three Joeys

The Joeys are small client devices that get all their data streams from the Hopper using a LAN technology called MOCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) that uses coax cabling only. With the Joey being logically linked to the Hopper, HD data streams can be transmitted from the Hopper to the Joey and still be legal to the DMR (Digital Media Rights). The importance is that with the Dish VIP622/722/722K satellite receivers, the TV2 output could only be SD because it was going out an open coax cable.

So in the classic RV configuration, the bedroom TV can be HD without a second receiver. with the Hopper 2000 We currently have a VIP722K for the living room and a VIP612 for the bedroom. That gives HD for both TVs but if the Boss wants to watch programs recorded on the 722 K in the bedroom, she has to use the SD RV2 feed. And nothing recorded in the bedroom can be viewed in the living room.

With a Hopper 2000, all the recording will be in a common repository and all the TVs can receive HD signals.

Prime Time Any Time (PTAT) is limited to the four major networks only and only when they are all are in HD. One of the important things about PTAT is that is only uses one tuner when it is recording the Network feeds. It starts just before the Prime Time window (8-11 ET, 7-10 CT) and ends upwards on an hour after the window to compensate for network runovers. Sports and special events like CBS Football on Sunday night will add more recording time. The PTAT is recorded in a separate partition of the hard drive and doesn't count against the 1TB of user space out of the 2TB drive. Also, because the entire data stream on all four Network channels are recorded in a stream, the screwed up timing on Network programming (late/early starts/ends) that screws up recording timers is eliminated Anything in the PTAT library can be copied into the user space for retention beyond the 8 day window of PTAT recording retention period.

It has not been determined whether the LA DNS channels will work for PTAT. I am hoping DNS West Coast will be handled by PTAT.

There are many other features like Bluetooth for headsets, compressible EPG (Program Guide), and faster operation.

For the Whole Home DVR function we are having a Hopper 2000 and two Joeys installed next Wednesday.

The main issue I see for most RVers is that the typical satellite dish installation runs one of the coax cable to the living room and one to the bed room. If you have a Winegard Trav'ler, you could use a Dish Separator to use just one cable for a dual tuner receiver like the VIP722K. The way the Hopper system is wired, two coax cable have to be connected to a SOLO bridge that is the MOCA multiplexor for the Hopper system. A Dish Separator cannot be used in this case, only two coax cables from the dish.

Since we installed a VIP622 years ago with a dish that dis not support a Dish Separator, we extended the bedroom satellite coax to the living room.. When we replaced the roof dish with a Winegard Trav'ler, we could use the Dish Separators and we could add the VIP612 in the bedroom when we upgraded to a VIP722K. So we are lucky that we have the additional coax cabling that we need for the Hopper 2000 installation.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#3 Roy & Ann

Roy & Ann

• Validated Members
  • 124 posts
  • SKP#:095017

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Could you update this thread with the outcome of your Hopper 2000 install?

2005 New Horizons 36ft 5th/upgrades-Generator, Disk Brakes, Solar Package, Inverter. and more
2008 Ford F450 crew cab DRW

K3ROY
http://www.roanontheroad.blogspot.com/

#4 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts
  • SKP#:79313

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

. . . we are lucky that we have the additional coax cabling that we need for the Hopper 2000 installation.

I'm just running all new RG6. Tell me this is Hopper 2000 compatible.

Also, X3 on keeping us in the loop on how your install goes.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV / www.rvSeniorMoments.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't necessarily agree with everything that I say.

-- Marshall McLuhan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4531 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

The preferred RG6, especially between the Solo multiplexing module and the Hopper 2000 is rated as being 3GHz sweep. Generally this mean solid copper core wire but some of the copper plated iron (most common) core wire will be rated that high.

The wiring from the Sola that goes to the Joeys can be RG59.

We always purchased solid copper core coax for the runs to the ground dishes, Internet and TV. We bought a 500' roll of dual RGd and cut it into (2) 100', (2) 50' and (2) 25' lengths we carried. The reset was saved for replacement.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#6 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

We always purchased solid copper core coax for the runs to the ground dishes, Internet and TV. We bought a 500' roll of dual RGd and cut it into (2) 100', (2) 50' and (2) 25' lengths we carried. The reset was saved for replacement.

Bingo. Sounds like we bought nearly identical RG6. Also invested in compression fittings as my crimps were crap.

Let us know how it goes. Tx.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV / www.rvSeniorMoments.com

-- Marshall McLuhan

#7 Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Mark - X'lint info - - and pliz come back with your results, observations, etc..:)

#8 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4531 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

A clarification, the user space of the 2TB disk drive in 500 GB for user defined recordings. The rest of the space is assigned to internal Dish functions like PTAT recording, Video On Demand (VOD) downloads, etc.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#9 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4531 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

Update for those with a Trav'ler or Motosat automatic roof dish and do not use a ground tripod. The multiplexor Solo of the Hopper system can be mounted on the roof. The two coax connections from the dish are run to the Solo. Then the living room coax runs from the Solo to the Hopper. The bedroom coax runs from the Solo to the Joey.

But if you are like us and use a ground tripod when the roof dish is blocked, you will need to get both roof coax cables from the roof dish to a common place with the ground tripod coax cables. Then switches or the manual process of disconnecting and connecting coax cable to the Solo can be done.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#10 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:42 AM

Do you have dimensions of the Hopper & its rear connections?

-- Marshall McLuhan

#11 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4531 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

1.7" x 6.5" x 5.8"

Coax - home distribution
RCA Video/Audio - Red/White/Yellow
Digital Optical
HDMI
Ethernet
USB - future implementation

Nope : no coax for old antenna TV connection, nor Component Video

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#12 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

1.7" x 6.5" x 5.8"

Coax - home distribution
RCA Video/Audio - Red/White/Yellow
Digital Optical
HDMI
Ethernet
USB - future implementation

Nope : no coax for old antenna TV connection, nor Component Video

Tx -- a link to Hopper Networking Options (PDF) . . . many, many, many choices.

-- Marshall McLuhan

#13 Vern & Betty Thompson

Vern & Betty Thompson

• Validated Members
  • 92 posts
  • SKP#:54071

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

The product sheet says, that the Hopper is: H/W/D = 2.30/11.4/16 in.

later Vern
fulltiming with a 2010 Mobile Suites fifthwheel and a 1999 F450 Ford

#14 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

The product sheet says, that the Hopper is: H/W/D = 2.30/11.4/16 in.

Yep, think you're correct. The 6.5 x 5.5 x 1.5 are a Joey's dimensions (click on "Tech Specs"). Tx.

Edited by Zulu, 22 March 2012 - 07:38 AM.

-- Marshall McLuhan

#15 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4531 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Sorry misread the Hopper, thought Joey

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#16 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Just got done speaking with DishNetwork. Hopper is a one time fee of $100 plus $17.00 per month if you have 2 TVs. I went with a HD DUO receiver with DVR. Only going to cost me an extra $6.00 per month, instead. Still have to sign a 2 year contract just like anything else.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#17 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

Just got done speaking with DishNetwork. Hopper is a one time fee of $100 plus $17.00 per month if you have 2 TVs. I went with a HD DUO receiver with DVR. Only going to cost me an extra $6.00 per month, instead. Still have to sign a 2 year contract just like anything else.

RV or stick house?

-- Marshall McLuhan

#18 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4531 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Just got done speaking with DishNetwork. Hopper is a one time fee of $100 plus $17.00 per month if you have 2 TVs

Just for the record, it is just Dish now.

The Hopper of for those who want a common repository of recorded shows and all TVs are driven in HD. The is free under the subscription. Add the $6 DVR fee, the $4 Whole Home, and the $7 Joey fee, yes that would be $17. That will drive two TVs in HD.

You are paying the $6 DVR fee and will be driving only one TV in HD and one in SD.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#19 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2181 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Just for the record, it is just Dish now.

The Hopper of for those who want a common repository of recorded shows and all TVs are driven in HD. The is free under the subscription. Add the $6 DVR fee, the $4 Whole Home, and the $7 Joey fee, yes that would be $17. That will drive two TVs in HD.

You are paying the $6 DVR fee and will be driving only one TV in HD and one in SD.

Thanks for the clarification. The person at Dish didn't explain the whole thing to me. I just canceled my install. I don't mind paying the $17 per month but don't want to pay the one time $100 fee for the new Hopper system.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#20 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

The person at Dish didn't explain the whole thing to me.

When I asked Dish about installing a Hopper in a RV, the rep said it wouldn't work because you need a broadband connection.

I said that was an option, not a requirement. Haven't heard back.

Since it's a new system, I think there will be a lot of this for a while.

-- Marshall McLuhan