32 replies to this topic

#1 DaveM

DaveM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts
  • SKP#:109123

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

For some reason I am having a hard time with understanding the military cg's verses the private sector as far as savings. Now I am comparing monthly or should I say longer term stays. Most of my research on military cg's give you a daily rate and a daily rate only. Very few give a monthly rate. At any rate if I am paying $15.00 per night in a milatary cg that equals about $450.00 per month. All the private sector parks I stay in are less than $500.00 per mo. and thats with FHU and most times cable if you want it. With the milatary in most cases you go in and have to dry camp, to get a chance at a site that has elec. and water. Then you may be able to work your way up to sewer in the long run.

A lot of people keep telling me I am missing the boat on the military cg's but what I have seen it doesn't add up. Could some with some real experience in this military cg do some explaining on what I am missing. I have to be missing something!!

Dave
Dave & Linda
2011 Bighorn 3670
2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

#2 BobQ

BobQ

• Validated Members
  • 186 posts
  • SKP#:#96210

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

Hi Dave, we use the military campgrounds whenever they are along my general route. We may go out of our way when the food locker is getting low. I guess in answer to your question, we find that Military campgrounds differ from one to the next because they are governed by the Post Command Policies. Some are 14 day stay limits and you must leave. Some have a policy that you will have to go in to overflow for a night after 14 days,and then return to a full service site for another 14 days. We have found several that do allow for long term stays,(unwritten policy). Many do allow for monthly stays and are posted as daily, weekly and monthly. You really have to look at each military campground as an individual(private) campground! http://www.militarycampgrounds.us

Hope this helps!
Bob :D

Edited by BobQ, 18 March 2012 - 08:14 AM.

Bob and Snookie Quinn
2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed
2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3
Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210
30 years Retired USARMY

#3 marvmarcy

marvmarcy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Dave, You are basically correct. You have to compare the military cg with public and private in the area you want to stay. Sometimes the military is much cheaper but not always. Key West is a place it is much cheaper, but you have to dry camp much of peak season, and they only have a daily rate. However, $12/night for dry and $21/night for full beats $100/night for local private cgs. We seldom have to dry camp at any other military cg. We found a private cg in the CO Spgs area that is much cheaper monthly than the USAF Academy cg. Short Stay near Charleston, SC is $12.50/night monthly, $13/night weekly, so is much cheaper and nicer than local cgs. We've never found a local cg as cheap as the military cg for an overnight stay. Military cgs generally discourage long stays to prevent homesteading and provide opportunity for all eligible campers to spend time there.

We like the added security of the military cgs and being with other military people.

Marv
2001 Volvo VNL42T420, ISX450/1650, ET air hitch
2012 Landmark Key Largo fifth wheel
Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT
Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL
USAF Retired

#4 nana25k

nana25k

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3408 posts
  • SKP#:97338

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

We do use military campgrounds but only in specific areas. Va. Beach when our son lived there.Monthly rate at NAS Oceana is $480/m in the summer but the few outside CG will cost you wellover $40 a nite and up.
we will use them in the D.C. area since the son has moved to Chevy Chase, MD. We almost never use them for overnighters as they aren't generally close to our routes and we can use our Passport America CG for less. But if we are staying for a few days then we will consider it. But like anything else in our lifestyle the season counts. Southern areas of the country will find those CG full. You may need to spend one night in overflow.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

#5 Doug Simpson

Doug Simpson

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Here is my average cost over the past 4 years:

Private - 507 days - $20/day
Military - 345 days - $15/day
Escapees - 189 days - $13.50/day
Government - 162 days - $14/day

Private campground rates reflect discounts (Passport America) and monthly rates for long-term stays. Government campgrounds can be anything from National Parks, Army Corps of Engineers, state and county parks. Most of my stays at government campgrounds did not include sewer but I usually didn't stay long enough to need it.

My Rig

#6 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

I use military whenever close, especially when staying for any length of time. Cost can be the same, more, or less, but ALL military bases are secure, clean (usually) and have good facilities.

For example, Key West.
Boyd's starts at about $100 a night during winter season.
Bluewater about the same as Boyd's. Both much more for waterfront sites.
Sigsbee, the NAS Key West campground = $12 a night dry camp, $21 a night for FHU.

Now I don't have a math background, but to me Sigsbee is a bargain!!!

Edited by Doug7155, 07 April 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21396 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

Not being military retired, I only get access when visiting my military son, but there is one other issue that you may want to consider. Since most of the military parks are on the base, staying in one may not be an option for those who choose to carry a firearm in the RV. Just food for thought. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#8 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4332 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

We were here in Mc Dill in Florida with a Military friend. We thought the C.G was a good or better than any private C.G. We were told that the Military rates were about the same as the average surrounding private C.G's as a good neighbot policy.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#9 DaveM

DaveM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Kirk I understand about the firearms and what your saying. Its my understanding though that if you do have a firearm in the RV and want to stay at the military CG then all you have to do is check it in at the Armory while you are staying there. Just what I heard, do not know this for sure. I have not yet purchased that firearm I talked about in the other thread. I will wait to return to home state to do that.

Dave
Dave & Linda
2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

#10 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 874 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

I prefer Fam-camps whenever possible. Clean, safe and the camaraderie of fellow veterans.

I use the military campground website
http://www.militaryc...facilitylisting

I seem to remember reading one or two that have no weapons policies. All the others either didn't mention any or the register at the armory as Dave said.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us 
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

#11 Cheese Queen

Cheese Queen

• Validated Members
  • 69 posts
  • SKP#:102441

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Don't ask/don't tell is the policy on most military bases as regards retirees, RVs and firearms. The few that do prohibit firearms tell you so, and also tell you what is necessary to comply with base rules.

We also prefer FamCamps- if we were strictly after cheap camping, we'd Wallydock a lot more. As it is, we like and are comfortable on military installations and have found some real jewels in the FamCamp system. We're at one now in Cheyenne WY ;)

#12 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21396 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

We're at one now in Cheyenne WY

Hey, you are in our old stomping ground! I made service calls on Warren AFB many times and had numerous friends who were stationed there over the years. I am very familiar with that fam-camp, or was when we left there back in 89! It has probably changed since then.

We lived in Cheyenne for 18 years and our three son's graduated from HS there. It was a great place to live with very good relationships between the AF and the local community. Being a ballistic missile wing, the people there didn't move around a lot and so it was an unusually stable population as military bases go. There were lots of AF retired folks there also.

Enjoy your stay! If you have the time, there is a neat museum at the Frontier Park. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#13 DaveM

DaveM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

Don't ask/don't tell is the policy on most military bases as regards retirees, RVs and firearms. The few that do prohibit firearms tell you so, and also tell you what is necessary to comply with base rules.

We also prefer FamCamps- if we were strictly after cheap camping, we'd Wallydock a lot more. As it is, we like and are comfortable on military installations and have found some real jewels in the FamCamp system. We're at one now in Cheyenne WY ;)

Just curious. Whats the weather like there in Cheyene like at this time of the year?

After reading Kirks post after yours I can also ask Kirk. How about it guys?

Edited by DaveM, 09 April 2012 - 04:10 AM.

Dave & Linda
2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

#14 Ropeshaft

Ropeshaft

• Validated Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

I get to Warren AFB a couple times a year for work. I love that area. Talk about “where the deer and the antelope play.” Frequent stops while driving on base are necessary to allow these protected critters to cross in front of you. I’ve never stayed at the Fam Camp but I did check it out during one of my visits. Neat place. Cheyenne is also a popular stopover place for bikers on their way to Sturgis.

#15 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Be very careful about using a "don't ask/don't tell" policy for firearms when entering military installations. At Nellis AFB we were stopped at the front (not the actual gate) and asked several questions, one of which was did we have a firearm in the rig. We didn't so I told the Security Police no. They then told me to pull into the parking area for inspection and search. If I had a firearm on board and lied to them it wouldn't have been pretty. After the "inspection" that took about 10 minutes, I asked what would have happened if they caught me in a lie. Rig and vehicle confiscation and jail! Not good!

At Camp Roberts in Southern CA, the same thing could have happened. At that time we did have a handgun and had to take it to the armory. Bad news, the armory was closed and we had to wait until someone could be broke loose to open it up. Waited 1.5 hrs.

At White Sands they do not have a storage facility for personal firearms (what I was told by the gate guard) so you will be directed to Holloman AFB before going on the White Sands installation.

StarlifterFE
Retired USAF C-141 Flight Enginner
Full-Timers
2007 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

#16 rexandrose

rexandrose

• Validated Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Rose and I stay at Military campgrounds whenever we can. The low cost is only one of the reasons we take advantage of this excellent benifit.

RexandRose

#17 crazy jimmy

crazy jimmy

• Validated Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

We have stayed at a few Family Camps. We last stayed a Vandenberg AFB, CA. We told the Police person we had a pistol, he wanted to see it. They went by CA law and had to have it in a lock box or separate the weapon and ammo. We did just that and went to our camp site.

Most bases allow you to have a firearm on base. Most have rules of either register it with the post police or if camping longer than a certain amount of days it must be held at the base armory.

Most FamCamp listings have this information. Just be honest.

Edited by crazy jimmy, 12 April 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#18 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 874 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

We have stayed at a few Family Camps. We last stayed a Vandenberg AFB, CA. We told the Police person we had a pistol, he wanted to see it. They went by CA law and had to have it in a lock box or separate the weapon and ammo. We did just that and went to our camp site.

You are allowed to have a firearm on base. Most only have rules of either register it with the post police or if camping longer than a certain amount of days it must be held at the base armory.

Most FamCamp listings have this information. Just be honest.

Sorry, gotta disagree, not ALL bases / post allow weapons on base. If you use the military campgrounds web site you can read weapons and other policies that may affect you. I pulled this example up;

http://www.militaryc...-mwr-campground

http://www.militaryc...and-afb-famcamp

The best thing is to check before you arrive.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us 
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

#19 crazy jimmy

crazy jimmy

• Validated Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

[quote name='Cyberdave' timestamp='1334276681' post='537647']
Sorry, gotta disagree, not ALL bases / post allow weapons on base. If you use the military campgrounds web site you can read weapons and other policies that may affect you. I pulled this example up;

http://www.militaryc...-mwr-campground

http://www.militaryc...and-afb-famcamp

The best thing is to check before you arrive.

Did some changing to my post. I have yet to run across a base not allowing a weapon. Of course that's just my findings.
You are right about checking in advance.

#20 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

NAS Key West DOES NOT allow weapons on base and will only store them for two weeks. Weapons on base are at the discretion of the base commander and can change with a change of command ceremony.
Best to call and ask ahead of time if you carry any firearm in your rig.