Photo

Shortwave listening advice for an idiot.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 dontay

dontay

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 804 posts
  • SKP#:57801

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

This forum never ceases to amaze me as I use it for all my info on things from awnings to zoom lenses! At one time I had a cheap radio to listen to while I used my telescope but it only lasted a few months before the buttons quit working. It was fun to listen to different things in the world while trying to track a 30 minute time exposure.
So I need to know what to look for in a good (but hopefully) inexpensive shortwave receiver. I found a couple of Panasonic RF-2200's on ebay for around $100 but think maybe I could get something new for the same money or less.
Can someone clue me in on what frequencies I should be able to cover and what features to look for? I would like to listen to amateurs as well as the english language national broadcasts. Any specific radios?
Thanks for any help.
2006 Allegro Bay 34XB with Freightliner FRED chassis, 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4

#2 R DAVIS

R DAVIS

• Validated Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

This forum never ceases to amaze me as I use it for all my info on things from awnings to zoom lenses! At one time I had a cheap radio to listen to while I used my telescope but it only lasted a few months before the buttons quit working. It was fun to listen to different things in the world while trying to track a 30 minute time exposure.
So I need to know what to look for in a good (but hopefully) inexpensive shortwave receiver. I found a couple of Panasonic RF-2200's on ebay for around $100 but think maybe I could get something new for the same money or less.
Can someone clue me in on what frequencies I should be able to cover and what features to look for? I would like to listen to amateurs as well as the english language national broadcasts. Any specific radios?
Thanks for any help.

Most of the radios with digital readout will work well for you. They all have a SSB (Single Side Band) switch, which is needed for most ham radio voice reception. They all cover the needed frequencies, from regular AM radio (530 Khz), through 30 Mhz, and regular FM broadcast bands.

There are several from different manufactures in the $ 79 to $ 199 price range (new) that are great performers.

Here is the website for Monitoring Times on line magazine which will give you some ideas.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/advertisers.html

One particularly good bargain is this radio for about $ 100.
http://www.grove-ent.com/S450.html

All the similar radios by Panasonic, Sony, Sangean, Eton, are good radios.

A couple retailers on line to check are: Amateur Electronic Supply: http://www.aesham.com/ and Ham Radio Outlet: http://www.hamradio.com/

All you need for very good reception, is to attach a piece of insulated wire about 20 to 25 feet long to an alligator clip, and clip it onto the existing antenna, and run the other end to a tree, post, or anything to stretch it out a bit.

These are all good receivers for domestic and foreign broadcast and ham radio stations.

These are not for Public Service band coverage such as police, fire, ambulance etc however.

Be careful though, if you spend much time listening to ham radio, you might get hooked.

Have fun,
Randy

Edited by R DAVIS, 15 March 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#3 w6pea

w6pea

• Validated Members
  • 133 posts
  • SKP#:108788

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

I have to agree with R.Davis.
I have a Grundig GLOBE TRAVELER G3 A friend of mine gave it to me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I also have a American Red Cross FR-800 Weathertracker
Emergency weather radio both radio's are made by Eaton/ Grndig corporation. I would say that for the money that was paid for both radio's it was a good buy.
You can look at the links that R.Davis gave you or you can look Here

Hope this helps you.
w6pea

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see real the Marines" Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

#4 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2371 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

C Crane carries some good equipment.

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#5 StarDreamers.us

StarDreamers.us

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1058 posts
  • SKP#:89742

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Very good information. Thans for sharing.

Safe Travels!
SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

#6 Mike Council

Mike Council

• Validated Members
  • 376 posts
  • SKP#:99524

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

Have you considered getting your license so then you could talk as well as listen? The test for the first level is not very difficult and doesn't require any morse code. Doesn't cost much either and I think you can find beginning level transceivers fairly reasonable.
73's.
Mike WU0G

Mike & Jo Ann
2006 40 ft Teton Royal Cheyenne,  Honda EU6500is,, Semper Fi, WUØG