"Straight Talk" phone from Walmart w/Verizon Service

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 datilpepper

datilpepper

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Anyone out there have Straight Talk cell phone from Walmart using Verizon? Wonder if you get same reception traveling as with contract Verizon cell phone. Can't find out much from customer service. We have several friends that love it but they do not travel as we do.

#2 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4509 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

We have Straight Talk on the Verizon network.

I can't speak to all over the country. But on the travels we've taken, it worked most places we've been.

The notable exception was around the Hagerstown, MD area where it did NOT work. We were traveling up I-81. It worked in West Virginia before we got to Maryland. And it worked once we crossed over into Pennsylvania. But in Hagerstown, we got the "No Signal" icon.

I have contemplated moving my phone to the AT&T network (still with Straight Talk) and keeping hers on the Verizon network just to see if there may be some places where one would work where the other wouldn't. But I haven't explored that to the extent I'd want to in order to have a reasonable answer.

I just didn't want another contract. And so far, I've been pretty happy with Straight Talk. At least on the Verizon network, the "smart phones" are along the lines of "Forest Gump specials". I've heard that there are somewhat "smarter" phones available for the AT&T network. But for the occasional checking of basic email and very limited 1XRTT web stuff, it does what we need it to do. Our old Verizon phones on the Verizon contract didn't exactly give us stellar performance anyway and so far, we haven't given up much... other than half the monthly payment and the contract obligation.

Good luck, perhaps others will chime in about areas that haven't worked for them.

Brian

#3 Glenn West

Glenn West

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 983 posts
  • SKP#:109607

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

We travel as far as Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina, Arkansas, passing thru a lot of others also. In Franklin, KY we had no service and no service for app 100 miles. Been good everywhere else. Have recently bought a "att" straighttalk phone and will just activate it when in these areas. They aren't costly and gives us options. These phones don't roam. Straight Talk also has phones now for Sprint, Att and Verizon. Currently all smart phones (Andriod) are Sprint service. Models ending in G is att, in C is Verizon. I wanted one of their smart phones but not with Sprint. Hope this helps
2003 Teton Grand Freedom- 2012 Chevy Silverado  CC Dually 4X4-Traveling USA welding pipe.

#4 David & Lorna Schinske

David & Lorna Schinske

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2590 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

My daughter has it. She loves it.

#5 datilpepper

datilpepper

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

We have Straight Talk on the Verizon network.

I can't speak to all over the country. But on the travels we've taken, it worked most places we've been.

The notable exception was around the Hagerstown, MD area where it did NOT work. We were traveling up I-81. It worked in West Virginia before we got to Maryland. And it worked once we crossed over into Pennsylvania. But in Hagerstown, we got the "No Signal" icon.

I have contemplated moving my phone to the AT&T network (still with Straight Talk) and keeping hers on the Verizon network just to see if there may be some places where one would work where the other wouldn't. But I haven't explored that to the extent I'd want to in order to have a reasonable answer.

I just didn't want another contract. And so far, I've been pretty happy with Straight Talk. At least on the Verizon network, the "smart phones" are along the lines of "Forest Gump specials". I've heard that there are somewhat "smarter" phones available for the AT&T network. But for the occasional checking of basic email and very limited 1XRTT web stuff, it does what we need it to do. Our old Verizon phones on the Verizon contract didn't exactly give us stellar performance anyway and so far, we haven't given up much... other than half the monthly payment and the contract obligation.

Good luck, perhaps others will chime in about areas that haven't worked for them.

Brian

#6 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2362 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Having lived and worked in and around Hagerstown, it is one of those Verizon "extended" areas. Not all that long ago it was a roaming area; now it is just a second-rate region. Apparently Straight Talk's contract with Verizon doesn't extend to all (or any?) such areas.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#7 datilpepper

datilpepper

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Having lived and worked in and around Hagerstown, it is one of those Verizon "extended" areas. Not all that long ago it was a roaming area; now it is just a second-rate region. Apparently Straight Talk's contract with Verizon doesn't extend to all (or any?) such areas.

#8 datilpepper

datilpepper

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the info! We have decided to go with an AT&T phone for me and Verizon for my hubby with Straight Talk. I believe when I looked at the coverage area with Straight Talk, AT&T had a greater amount (if you can believe their coverage map with Straight Talk.)

#9 Mr Nifty

Mr Nifty

• Validated Members
  • 98 posts
  • SKP#:106550

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

My brother loves his ST service. He is using a ST phone that the model # ends in C. Those are Verizon. If they end in G that is AT&T. The android phones run on Sprint.

2008 F450 King Ranch.6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
6500 watt 54 AMP Gen Box RV Generator
Keystone Montana 3150RL 5er. Part Timer.
Yes I really am from South Dakota.

#10 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

We are thinking about getting a phone as an emergency phone for when we are in locations that our Virgin Mobile phone doesn't work. Straight Talk sounds like it might be a solution, maybe. I went to the website and it wants a zip code. That poses a problem, we wander the entire country, mostly have problems in the remote areas of the west with phone service and broadband service. I think we would like a Verizon phone but that you can't seem to order a phone by carrier only by zip code. The thread talks about phone xxx is carrier xxx but how do I order by carrier. Also, if we just buy a phone and don't activate it can it be activated without the internet, via the phone?

#11 George Stoltz

George Stoltz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2788 posts
  • SKP#:99899

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the info! We have decided to go with an AT&T phone for me and Verizon for my hubby with Straight Talk. I believe
when I looked at the coverage area with Straight Talk, AT&T had a greater amount (if you can believe their coverage map with Straight Talk.)

.AT&T has poor coverage. You were wise to get phones for two different networks. We had an AT&T phone and at least 50% of the time we could not make calls. We save a LOT of money using the pre-paid plan, because we only pay for the phone when we make or receive calls.

Edited by George Stoltz, 12 March 2012 - 06:54 AM.

George Stoltz

#12 David & Lorna Schinske

David & Lorna Schinske

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2590 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

... I went to the website and it wants a zip code....

They want your zip code so they can give you the phone number and make sure you area able to receive the "extras" that you are asking for. Usually you use the zip code in the area you bought the phone in.

#13 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

I want a cell phone for coverage when we are out west and service is sparse. Verizon generally has the best service and that is why I would like to request a Verizon phone.

#14 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1489 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm not familiar with how Straight Talk's activation process works, but with their parent service, TracFone, you can select a Verizon CDMA phone using a ZIP code for a Verizon only area like Billings, MT, and then select the real ZIP code you want when you activate the phone.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F-53 Chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS

Quadra Bigfoot EZ Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#15 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thank you for the info. I am also researching the Verizon Home Phone Connect option which sounds like it would work also. After having been out west with Sprint we decided we needed a Verizon phone for when we travel in the west. The Home Phone Connect allows us to port our home phone to the HPC system. This essential makes our S&B phone a cell phone and I can take the system with me(kind of like OOMA). The main benefit is I get to keep my DSL and my Directv discount(billed via Verizon).

I had pursued dropping our land line 2 months ago and I would lose all my packaging discounts. After figuring it out the monthly price was higher.

Life is a challenge................

#16 Dwayne and Shara

Dwayne and Shara

• Validated Members
  • 91 posts
  • SKP#:114564

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Thank you for the info. I am also researching the Verizon Home Phone Connect option which sounds like it would work also. After having been out west with Sprint we decided we needed a Verizon phone for when we travel in the west. The Home Phone Connect allows us to port our home phone to the HPC system. This essential makes our S&B phone a cell phone and I can take the system with me(kind of like OOMA). The main benefit is I get to keep my DSL and my Directv discount(billed via Verizon).

I had pursued dropping our land line 2 months ago and I would lose all my packaging discounts. After figuring it out the monthly price was higher.

Life is a challenge................

go to walmart in the west buy a phone ther or go to your walmart and tell them you want a strait talk phone on verizon and they will give you the right one. i have the nokia e71 its there blackberry and i tether it to my pc for the internet. it cost no more and is unlimited but it does get slow some times. hope this helps
TIME is LIFE. Money... is merely a tool. How much of your LIFE... is worth sacrificing for a tool?

#17 Glenn West

Glenn West

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 983 posts
  • SKP#:109607

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

I wouldn't trust anyone in Wall Mart to sell me the right phone. Most don't know.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom- 2012 Chevy Silverado  CC Dually 4X4-Traveling USA welding pipe.

#18 Mike

Mike

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

I have two net 10 phones. The same company, Tracphone, is the real operator of the Straight Talk program, Net10 and Tracphone. Their help desk actually sometimes answers the phone wrong. The trick is to get a phone as stated, with a C at the end for Verizon or a G at the end for AT&T. It may be that you have to buy it when you are in an area that has the right coverage (unless you do it on-line I suppose). I had to buy the AT&T version at a Walmart in Coshocton, OH and the Verizon one I bought at Walmart in Grand Forks, ND. I figured out where using the coverage map for areas not covered by both and coordinating with the phones and model suffixes offered at the local Walmart.

Also, you can get a number in a location that is different from the zip code used. Both of my phones have area codes for North East Ohio, even though neither were bought there. I did have to be a bit forceful to get it though, they wanted to try and give me a number in North Dakota originally for the phone bought up there. Use the non-automated technical service selection on the help desk number.

Finally, if you buy something other than an unlimited minutes plan, note that they do charge for calls to customer service (or the Net10 ones did). But you can call in to customer service on Skype or something to their 800 number and there is no charge. You can also call your voice mail from a different number and get it without using minutes. That doesn't much matter if you use the unlimited plan, but I have found that I don't use enough minutes to make that plan worthwhile.
Mike
Abuelo Loco Blog
He who dies with the most toys is still dead........and may also be subject to Mark 10:25.

#19 Ralph

Ralph

• Validated Members
  • 121 posts
  • SKP#:73985

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

We have had Straight Talk for over two years and last year we went from Washington State to New York, Florida, Texas, Arizona and back to Washington and had service everywhere. Wen also have a Verizon phone and the Straight Talk works as well as the Verizon. As soon as we are off the contract with Verizon we are going to change over to a second Straight Talk phone.

#20 Mobil-2

Mobil-2

• Validated Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

(i have the nokia e71 its there blackberry and i tether it to my pc for the internet.}

Breed, I am very interested about tethering. My Samsung R451C (ST/Verizon - which I have had for 2 years)apparently does not have that capability and it is strictly forbidden in the terms. I'm starting a new topic on this so perhaps you could respond there. How are you cabling? Are you on Verizon?...... Thanks.

We travel all over US as well and get very good coverage. Very spotty around Lake Havasu (Mojave Wireless area so Walmarts there and Parker do not sell ST phones). Keys on this phone are hard to use but the newer revised one looks the same but has raised keys so much better than Samsung R451C. Not sure of the model number. We bought ours in Yuma but used a Central Coast CA area code so friends there could call us without roaming charges to them).

Edited by Mobil-2, 19 March 2012 - 10:29 AM.