Anastasia State Park Volunteering

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Joyce and I are scheduled to work at Anastasia SP, Nov 2012 thru Feb 2013. I was somewhat put back about having to buy our own uniforms but since we have family and grand baby's living there, we believe it is worth the cost. Does anyone have any pointers about hosting there?
thanks in advance.

StarlifterFE
Retired USAF C-141 Flight Enginner
Full-Timers
2007 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21126 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Is this the Florida State park by that name? We have never been required to buy uniforms at any park that we have volunteered in or hosted. In some states they do ask for the uniform back when you leave and others just supply a vest or jacket and hat and then you return all but the hat when you leave, but we have never been expected to buy a uniform. We have volunteered in Florida but not in a state park. We did volunteer with Florida Game and Fish at a check station but as I remember we didn't have any uniforms. It was back in 2003 and so is probably different now anyway.

I guess it would depend upon the cost of the uniforms and how badly we wanted to go there. If this is Florida, do they expect all volunteers to buy uniforms? If so, how many must you buy and at what cost?

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 waynehill

waynehill

• Validated Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Joyce and I are scheduled to work at Anastasia SP, Nov 2012 thru Feb 2013. I was somewhat put back about having to buy our own uniforms but since we have family and grand baby's living there, we believe it is worth the cost. Does anyone have any pointers about hosting there?
thanks in advance.

We volunteered here last summer and you will love it! Some Florida state parks provide the tee shirts, some don't. You will need only 2 if you are like us...they provide a hat if you wear one. They ask that you wear black shorts. If you are assigned a loop, you will work 3 days on and 3 days off. You will clean your loop's bathroom once in the morning. The sites are raked or blowned each day and trash picked up. Depending on the day (Sundays are busy), you might work 3 or 4 hours each day. You will be 1/2 mile from the beach and 2 miles from St. Augustine...we return for a 2 month gig Feb-Mar 2013. Hope to see you and if you want to ask for more info let me know
wayne
Wayne and Maureen
Visit My Website
Posted Image

#4 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

We volunteered here last summer and you will love it! Some Florida state parks provide the tee shirts, some don't. You will need only 2 if you are like us...they provide a hat if you wear one. They ask that you wear black shorts. If you are assigned a loop, you will work 3 days on and 3 days off. You will clean your loop's bathroom once in the morning. The sites are raked or blowned each day and trash picked up. Depending on the day (Sundays are busy), you might work 3 or 4 hours each day. You will be 1/2 mile from the beach and 2 miles from St. Augustine...we return for a 2 month gig Feb-Mar 2013. Hope to see you and if you want to ask for more info let me know
wayne

Thanks for the info. Wayne. How is the satellite service in the park? We have a roof mounted dish with Directv. Also, Verizon cell service?

Look forward to meeting you in Feb.

Barry

StarlifterFE
Full-Timers

#5 waynehill

waynehill

• Validated Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info. Wayne. How is the satellite service in the park? We have a roof mounted dish with Directv. Also, Verizon cell service?

Look forward to meeting you in Feb.

Barry

Barry.....

Depends where you are parked...Some Camp Hosts are parked in the loops where you are surrounded by live oaks and palmettos and its beautiful...our verizon wireless internet worked well and the phone had no problems. There is water and electric in the loops but no sewer.
If your site is in the camphost area between the admin office and the Coquina loop, than you will have sewer and more open space for the satellite signal. ALL sites are beautiful and when we were there many rigs were using their satellites....also the OTA signal allowed us to pick up all the network channels and 20 local ones. You will be in one of the most desired state parks in Florida so have a great adventure! I would study the surrounding area because you will have plenty of exploring time. My email is wayne@valueshare.com if you want my phone number
wayne
Wayne and Maureen
Visit My Website
Posted Image

#6 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Barry.....

Depends where you are parked...Some Camp Hosts are parked in the loops where you are surrounded by live oaks and palmettos and its beautiful...our verizon wireless internet worked well and the phone had no problems. There is water and electric in the loops but no sewer.
If your site is in the camphost area between the admin office and the Coquina loop, than you will have sewer and more open space for the satellite signal. ALL sites are beautiful and when we were there many rigs were using their satellites....also the OTA signal allowed us to pick up all the network channels and 20 local ones. You will be in one of the most desired state parks in Florida so have a great adventure! I would study the surrounding area because you will have plenty of exploring time. My email is wayne@valueshare.com if you want my phone number
wayne

Thanks again Wayne. I'll send you an email.

Barry

StarlifterFE
Full-Timers

#7 rambler100697

rambler100697

• Validated Members
  • 7 posts
  • SKP#:101564

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

Barry: We have grown fond of such parks as Little Talbot Island in Jacksonville and Fort Clinch at Fernandina Beach. Check them out when you have time. Volunteers at those parks get a lot of support from park staff and all the T-shirts you need.
Enjoy Anastasia, St. Augustine and your family.
rambler100697
Fleming Island, Fla.

Edited by rambler100697, 25 May 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#8 StarlifterFE

StarlifterFE

• Validated Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the info rambler.

StarlifterFE
Full-Timers

#9 Lostinfl

Lostinfl

• Validated Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Sorry for the late post, just checked this site as the park I am volunteering at is looking for posts as an example to use for their search for volunteers/hosts.
You did not indicate what positions you will be assigned, but if you are buying your uniforms, I would guess that you will be assigned to visitor services and wear what they call Class “A” uniforms and last I checked, they were about $17.50.

While it is true that most Florida Parks offer tee shirts and hats, they may also issue the Class “A”s,if they have them. They may have retired old uniforms or not received them back when volunteers leave, and the budgeting is not there for replacements. Unfortunately, this may be the new norm. Having chosen a second career in Florida Parks supervising several, the budgeting, manpower, and equipment needs are lacking, with the decreased tax revenues. Many politicians in Florida and other States have taken the position that Parks and Recreation are not essential needs and hit the chopping blocks first, before other mandated services.

State, Federal, and County parks in Florida have been hit especially hard in the past several years –budgets cut or held at levels of several years ago, positions frozen and the increasing need for volunteers to continue to operate at levels acceptable to the public. State park personnel have not had a raise in at least 7 years that I recall and now have to contribute 3% to their pension fund, effectively giving them a pay cut of like amount. While the cost may be off setting to some, the costs of uniforms are less then one night of camping.

Sorry for the rambling, but wanted to provide a rational as to why they may be trying to accommodate volunteers and still stay within budget.

Safe travels
Jim