• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rick & Karen

Rick & Karen

• Validated Members
  • 419 posts
  • SKP#:98156

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

This is my first post to this thread. We haven't done much boondocking yet but are heading to Alaska this summer and hope to control some of the cash outflow by boondocking occasionally. We do have an Onan 3600 generator. What I am wondering is if anyone has any spots that are along the main routes in BC, Yukon and Alaska. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Safe travels,

Karen & Rick
2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver
2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods
2005 Ranger Bass Boat;
Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

#2 Chief 2

Chief 2

• Validated Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

There are many places along the way that you can pull over and boondock. There are also some really nice Provincial Parks in Canada. We stayed in a couple along the Cassiar Hwy. Get the Milepost book. It is the travel "bible" for going to Alaska. Not many fuel stops along the way, so if you see one get fuel. Enjoy the trip, it is beautiful.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Dually, Edge Attitude Tuner, 4" Exhaust, Airraid Intake, Air Bags, Rancho Shocks, Hellwig Big Wig
2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2001 Bass Tracker 185

#3 Mariner

Mariner

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Wholeheartedly agree to get a copy of the Milepost. You might also want to think about getting "Alaskan Camping" by Mike & Terri Church.

#4 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5863 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Also, if you are an Escapee, get the Day's End listings of free and inexpensive places to stay. There are all sorts of listings for Canada and Alaska. Also, I highly recommend joining the Day's End Yahoo Group to keep up with changes and having access to the new Day's End when it's available (about every two months).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#5 Al Florida

Al Florida

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 916 posts
  • SKP#:86865

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Dido on the Escapees Days End listing. If you are not an Escapees member, it is worth the membership dues to join Escapees to get access to the listing. I think there is a fairly nominal fee for the listing. However once you join the Days End your access is extended by providing updates or new free/low cost camping/boondocking places.

Al & Sharon
2005 Born Free 26RSB 4X4
No Toad
San Antonio, Tx

#6 Al Florida

Al Florida

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

This is my first post to this thread. We haven't done much boondocking yet but are heading to Alaska this summer and hope to control some of the cash outflow by boondocking occasionally. We do have an Onan 3600 generator. What I am wondering is if anyone has any spots that are along the main routes in BC, Yukon and Alaska. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Safe travels,

Karen & Rick

Be sure to practice your boondocking skills before you head north. You mention you have a generator. I assume it is propane powered since you have a 5th wheel. The propane generator uses quite a bit of propane. Be sure to spend some time running it (even if you don't need to run it because you have electric hookups) to get a feel for how much propane it will use. You don't want to run low on propane to heat your rig because you ran the generator a lot.

Al & Sharon
2005 Born Free 26RSB 4X4
No Toad
San Antonio, Tx

#7 brokeboater

brokeboater

• Validated Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

I can't say I remember any true boon docking stops in Canada on the way to Alaska. We were very happy with the Provencal Park system. The parks seem so plentiful you can pretty much just drive until an hour before you want to stop and there will be one before the hours up. Some of my most memorable times during our whole Florida to Alaska and back journey were in the Provencal Parks. One of my big regrets is that I didn't schedule two or three days per park rather than an overnight stay. Summmit Lake Provencal Park in BC would rate as my favorite stop on the whole trip. We spent a night and should have spent a week or two. Provencal Parks are very inexpensive (unlike anything else in Canada). Enjoy the ride.

#8 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Definitely get the Church's book. It covers Canada, the Yukon and Alaska. It's the BEST! Not only do they list campgrounds, but also public parks (Provincial, state parks, forest service) but it also tells about nice "pull-off-the-side-of-the-road" types of places. They used to live in Alaska and travel there often to update their sources. We used it exclusively. You will also find nice spots on your own - no need to travel off the main roads. There are plenty of spots to pull over. You'll see many folks doing just that. It's a great way to travel. We'll second Summit Lake campground. It's a beauty. You might also consider going up via the Alaskan Hwy. and returning by way of the Cassier. Have a great trip!

Full-timers for 16+ Years.; Now Seasonal
2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2004 Jeep Liberty

#9 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4570 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

We found a couple boondocking spots on our way north through Canada in 2007. One was near Munch Lake and one was near Watson Lake. On our way south we found spots near Dawson City and Swift River. There were many, many more places available but sometimes we needed to dump, get water and do laundry. We also used Provincial Parks and private parks as well. Once we were in Alaska we found many more boondocking spots. You should have no trouble finding places to boon dock if that's what you want to do.

Just an example, we found an abandoned gravel pit near Healy, AK where we were out of sight of the road. Wild raspberries were growing everywhere, and we had the most delicious raspberry pie that evening.
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#10 Rick & Karen

Rick & Karen

• Validated Members
  • 419 posts
  • SKP#:98156

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I want to thank everyone for your responses. I do have the Church's books and the Mile Post (which I haven't read yet but will start NOW) and I will get the Days End listings.

Thanks also for the good tip on the generator. Yes, it is propane and we have used it and 'exercised'it but didn't think about trying to figure out exactly how much we used when we ran it. We will do that before we start north.

We were thinking that if we could boondock 2 nights out of 3 we could save a bundle for side trips and all the bakeries we keep hearing about! So keep those tips coming.

Safe travels everyone,
Karen
2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver
2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods
2005 Ranger Bass Boat;
Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

#11 Mariner

Mariner

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

You'll definately need a cinnamon roll budget!! :rolleyes:

#12 StarDreamers.us

StarDreamers.us

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts
  • SKP#:89742

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Please don't forget "Peggy's Pies" a must stop in my opinion. Also, be aware of where you stop and what is around you. Ice Cream shops everywhere.

Safe Travels!

Today in Alaska - 0 degrees and snowing.
SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

#13 JJ Wms

JJ Wms

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts
  • SKP#:44855

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

When we went to Alaska with our fith wheel we did some boondocking but used Canadian provincial parks quite a bit. They are good places to stop. The one we recommend to all Alaska Highway travellers is Laird Hot Springs. Don't stay in the commercial park across the road because there is a great place to take a warm dip in Laird Hot Springs.

We used the Camping Alaska by Mike & Terri Church more than we did the Milepost and we had both with us.

SKP #44855
2013 Winnebago Vista 27N

2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4

#14 brokeboater

brokeboater

• Validated Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

The one we recommend to all Alaska Highway travellers is Laird Hot Springs.

We pulled into Laird and did a drive through. Nice park and wish we could have stayed and enjoyed but, understandably, very dog unfriendly. I don't leave my dog unattended in the RV, or on the lot, at anytime, so it was out for us.

#15 JJ Wms

JJ Wms

• Validated Members
  • 377 posts
  • SKP#:44855

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Sorry you thought it not dog friendly. When we drove that twice we had a black chow that did just fine. when we went to the hot springs she stayed inside. We walked her at least twice a day on a retractable leash and had no problems.

SKP #44855
2013 Winnebago Vista 27N

2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4

#16 carmelo

carmelo

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

We did the Alaska trip last yr. It is about 4,300 miles from Patterson, well by the time we got back, 25 weeks on the road, we had traveled 18,000 miles.
What a trip and as THE WIFE said way easier than it is held out to be, Lots of places to pull off the road and stay for the night. Many on the banks of streams or lakes, and I mean immediately off the road. These are turn outs, some do not allow overnight but those are few. Loved them. On more than a few occasions at turn outs I would look outside and we bears.Can you spell neat!
I second the suggestion to get Churches, a fantastic resource. Very well written.

Prepare yourself for high fuel prices, diesel is a bit cheaper than gas in Canada, but gas was $5-6 per gallon last summer so much more this yr.
Food is likewise expensive, both in grocery stores and restaurants in Canada.

Take your time and go everywhere, the Canadain Rockies are stupendous and all of Alaska. We parked the TT and truck and took a day long ferry ride out of HOmer, to a small town and return.
We traveled every highway in Alaska went almost to the Artic Circle to the end of the paved road at JOY, Alaska. Do go there, the people who have the only store have 21 children, yes that is correct and they are NOT foster children almost all are adopted. Raised all of them there in log cabins.
The Top of the World Highway is worth the trip----the whole trip to Alaska and yes you will see gold mines on the side of the road.

CCC
Pat and Charles C. Culotta, Jr.

Patterson, La.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

charlesculotta.com

EVERGREEN OWNERS GROUP

http://autos.groups....tionalvehicles/

#17 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

You might also consider getting the TourSaver 2/1 book - available online for around $100. One glacial cruise could cover the cost of the book. We really enjoyed the Stan Stephens cruise out of Valdez. Get it before your trip because there are some things that could be used on your way up.

Full-timers for 16+ Years.; Now Seasonal
2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2004 Jeep Liberty

#18 Al Florida

Al Florida

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

We did the Alaska trip last yr. It is about 4,300 miles from Patterson, well by the time we got back, 25 weeks on the road, we had traveled 18,000 miles.

We traveled every highway in Alaska went almost to the Artic Circle to the end of the paved road at JOY, Alaska. Do go there, the people who have the only store have 21 children, yes that is correct and they are NOT foster children almost all are adopted. Raised all of them there in log cabins.

CCC

Where is Joy, AK? I couldn't find it on my Delrome map program.

Al & Sharon
2005 Born Free 26RSB 4X4
No Toad
San Antonio, Tx

#19 carmelo

carmelo

• Validated Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

JOY,Alaska

Follow the highway toward Prudho Bay, and at the end of the pavement is JOY. Ok it must not be incorporated as only one family lives there but that is what they call it!
8 or so log cabins and buildings, and the store.
Buy some cookies and coffee at least.
While we were perusing the store one of the daughters came in and the DAD said this is number 18 with her little boy and the baby here is also hers!!
CCC
Pat and Charles C. Culotta, Jr.

Patterson, La.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

charlesculotta.com

EVERGREEN OWNERS GROUP

http://autos.groups....tionalvehicles/

#20 david3639

david3639

• Validated Members
  • 18 posts
  • SKP#:99483

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

Safe travels,

Karen & Rick

We traveled to Alaska from Oregon for a four month trip along the Cassier Highway two years ago. Spent the first part in Northern B.C. staying in the Provincial Parks, fishing and kayaking.

When we became more accustomed to Alaska and the Yukon we ended up boondocking for the last six weeks. Lots of opportunities along the way as you'll see. Have a great trip!