• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4503 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Just curious if any of you have done a "Report of Sale" form online when getting rid of a SD registered vehicle... lately?

We traded in our Jetta TDI wagon on a new (to us) Toyota Sienna and we're supposed to send in the Report of Sale within 15 days.

I did go online to the appropriate sdcars.org website and filled in the appropriate info. When I had done that, I hit the "Save" button, which was pretty much the only option available.

Returning to the page a couple of days later, the same information is still there but I cannot do anything to change or resubmit or anything of the like. So I'm really not sure if I've reported the sale or not.

Anyway, I was just curious as to whether any of you have already been around this bend in the road and have it long since figured out. Whatcha think?

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. Really like the new minivan. Gets horrible gas mileage compared to the Jetta but it's soooooo much more comfortable. And we had 6 full sized adults traveling in it within days of getting it, and we all fit COMFORTABLY!! aaahhhhhhh..... Fuel economy is great when you can get it. But there comes a point where one has to be comfortable or it's just not worth the trip. Maybe it's just another sign that we're getting old. ? LOL!!

#2 rmader

rmader

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 633 posts
  • SKP#:97675

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

I sold a car with SD plates on it to an out of state person and was told not to worry about it .?????
No PM e-mail me

Rich Mader #97675 Lifetime Member
2002 Americana Cardinal 38 ft. 5th wheel 17000 lb
1995 Volvo Detroit series 60 super 10 speed Chevy Cobalt toad 78 ft long

rich@rmader.com

#3 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20254 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I did the same here in Texas but printed the form and mailed it in. But the result is about the same as thus far I have no idea if the thing has gone through? How long has ti been for you? Mine has now been two weeks. :huh:

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#4 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5860 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

We did it a few times when we were domiciled in South Dakota, but I printed out the form, completed it, and mailed it in. I don't know what they do when they get the form, but they DON'T send you anything or, in any other way, get in touch with you (at least we never got anything from the State after sending in the form).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#5 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17906 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Kirk, I've done that a couple of times in TX. Never heard anything, so I would not expect that you will.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2012 New Horizons 42.5' Custom 5er (SOLD); New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#6 Jim2

Jim2

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 898 posts
  • SKP#:89477

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I've always mailed in the form, with delivery confirmation. You get no response from the state. This form is mostly for your protection, to assure that the state knows you are no longer responsible for this vehicle; in case the buyer gets a ticket, a hit & run, or other potential liability, before officially registering the VIN in their name.
Jim

#7 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4503 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Thanks,

Doesn't sound like I could expect any kind of response.

Wasn't sure if the list of registered vehicles that I see online would reflect that entry as being deleted at some point or not.

The form is just a little tear-off section of the title and says on it that it must be returned to a county treasurer's (?) office within 15 days of the sale of the vehicle. I have the paper. Probably should go ahead and send it in just to be sure.

Kirk, it's only been a couple of days. But I only have 15 days, and I'm already about half way there. And I wanna be a good little citizen. ;)

Guess I'll mail it in... just to be sure.

Thanks for the thoughts. Much appreciated.

Brian

#8 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16430 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Scan a copy just in case the original goes missing.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#9 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 5785 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Is this just for private sales? If we sell through a dealer do we need to follow up? PPL just sold our motorhome which was registered in South Dakota but we are no longer domiciled there so don't want to confuse things if we don't need to do this.

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#10 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16430 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

We sold an RV to a dealer, didn't worry about the form and got an expensive traffic ticket in the mail when the dealer put the RV on a side-street overnight to make some room in their lot. Mailing the form in would have saved a lot of hassle since the DMV would not have given our names and address to the police department as the registered owners.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#11 Nolan

Nolan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Motorcycles. One was sold privately. The other to a motorcycle dealership. Filled out the form and sent them in. Never heard a thing. However when the registration bill came in the mail the motorcycle's registration wasn't on it.

Nolan and JoAnn
2000 Kenworth T600.
2004 NuWa Hitchhiker
Champagne 33 LKTG
2009 Toyota Matrix
http://2-on-the-road.blogspot.com/

Have two tkloader motorcycle

loaders for sale.

#12 Don S.

Don S.

• Validated Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

We sold an RV to a dealer, didn't worry about the form and got an expensive traffic ticket in the mail when the dealer put the RV on a side-street overnight to make some room in their lot. Mailing the form in would have saved a lot of hassle since the DMV would not have given our names and address to the police department as the registered owners.

This is the reason it important to not "forget about it". It could have been worse for Stan. The vehicle could have been in a serious wreck and it was still Stan's vehicle, his responsibility.

#13 Ron and Laine

Ron and Laine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

I've always mailed in the form, with delivery confirmation. You get no response from the state. This form is mostly for your protection, to assure that the state knows you are no longer responsible for this vehicle; in case the buyer gets a ticket, a hit & run, or other potential liability, before officially registering the VIN in their name.

This is the same for Florida. In Florida you are required to remove the plates and you can turn them in (which you will receive a receipt) or you can keep the plate in case you buy another vehicle, where you want have to buy another plate. Just went through this when I sold my motorcycle.

Ron
US Army retired
Leo, Shitzu/Lhasa Apso
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

#14 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 5785 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

I looked up the form. It wants the buyer's name and address. Since we sold our RV through PPL we have no idea who bought it. Looks like we may need to make a phone call to see if they'll tell us. We did keep the license plates but, of course, the VIN is still there. :)

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#15 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4503 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

I'm not sure how a consignment would work. I would assume that would be like a private sale if PPL never took title to the vehicle.

I did just discover that the SDcars website does say that if you're trading a vehicle at a dealer, the dealer is the one responsible for sending in the Report of Sale. In my case, I wondered whether that would actually happen in the time SD requires so I made it happen myself.

:)

Brian

#16 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

We just traded in our Jeep for a new car and the dealer handled the paperwork. We transferred our plates so SD is well aware that the Jeep is no longer SD plated.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#17 Chuck & Elva

Chuck & Elva

• Validated Members
  • 131 posts
  • SKP#:090667

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

"I've always mailed in the form, with delivery confirmation." That is good. Certified with signed return receipt is better. It is a legal document that can be used in court and elsewhere. I know from experience it does make a difference when dealing with state agencies. And some states like South Dakota are easy to work with, compared with California where it's a bureaucratic nightmare made worse by the economic downturn.

"We transferred our plates so SD is well aware that the Jeep is no longer SD plated." That is true in SD. Maybe not in other states. Each state has it's own motor vehicle laws, ie: In California the plates stay with the vehicle for it's life, whereas South Dakota the plates stay with the owner as long as they are domiciled in SD or unless they get special/custom plates.

Brian, wait a couple more weeks. If the form went through the vehicle will be dripped from the list of vehicles you have registered in SD. If it still is on the site I would mail them the form.
Chuck & Elva, Wheel Estate Travelers
Safari Serengeti, 3126B, VMSpc | Ford Van, M&G Braking System | Scooter
See Us Here