• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 vmarr

vmarr

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts
  • SKP#:97455

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Has anyone here used them ? I have a trucker friend that swears by them. From what I can read on their sight, they're SUPPOSED to work great for stability, and maybe a little for fuel economy.. Just thought I'd ask before I leaped. Thanks
08 Fleetwood Excursion, me, ex farmer, DW, retired (RN), and Bow, Lilly, and Little Bit the mutts

#2 AFChap

AFChap

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3287 posts
  • SKP#:83500

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have seen extensive discussion on other forums ...appears like fatboy tires/synthetic lubes/etc ...matter of opinion as to whether or not typical RV mileage reaches the break even point.
Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E
'05 Honda Odyssey
Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART
http://www.pjrider.com

#3 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

I've looked at their web site and I'd have to see wind tunnel video both with and without them before I made a decision to buy them. They sound a lot like those spinning things that people were putting under their carbs years ago. Supposed to increase MPG. LOL

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#4 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4527 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

They work. Main reason for commercial truckers is fuel economy. Now lets put it into perspective.

The first area for the Air Tabs is on the cab fairings of a road tractor. The vortex air flow from the Air Tabs keeps the air flow around the cab from crashing into the face of the trailer. Most of the HDTers can't benefit from the action because the trailer is too far from the cab fairing.

The next place is at the end of the trailer. The vortex air flow makes the equivalent of a "boattail" trailer. This would work for an RV trailer, or motorhome. The vortex air flow would eliminate the vacuum action of the normal flat RV end which causes drag and sucks road dirt onto the rear surface.

I looked into these but I had this problem. The raised edge of my rear cap is in such a place that the Air Tabs would have to be mounted behind the cap edge which would have disturbed the vortex ait flow, negating the effects of the Air Tabs. The depth of the cap was too shallow to mount the Air Tabs after the cap edge.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#5 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Okay, so given the number of miles the average RVer puts on their rigs during a year, would the savings be worth cost, time, and effort to install Airtabs?

They work. Main reason for commercial truckers is fuel economy. Now lets put it into perspective.

The first area for the Air Tabs is on the cab fairings of a road tractor. The vortex air flow from the Air Tabs keeps the air flow around the cab from crashing into the face of the trailer. Most of the HDTers can't benefit from the action because the trailer is too far from the cab fairing.

The next place is at the end of the trailer. The vortex air flow makes the equivalent of a "boattail" trailer. This would work for an RV trailer, or motorhome. The vortex air flow would eliminate the vacuum action of the normal flat RV end which causes drag and sucks road dirt onto the rear surface.

I looked into these but I had this problem. The raised edge of my rear cap is in such a place that the Air Tabs would have to be mounted behind the cap edge which would have disturbed the vortex ait flow, negating the effects of the Air Tabs. The depth of the cap was too shallow to mount the Air Tabs after the cap edge.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#6 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4527 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

I would say if you are looking at an economical rational only, then the savings on fuel wouldn't pay for the Air Tabs.

If you look at the cleaner rear end of the RV, that does not have an economic value, that is a quality oif life value. Not everything is a $ issue.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#7 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Okay, so putting them on tow vehicle wouldn't do much good because of the distance between the cab and front of the 5ver. Based on what you said about keeping the back of the 5ver clean, where do they go?

Posted Image

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..

#8 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4527 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

On the outside edges, walls and roof, spaced about every 3"-4". It is hard to tell from the photo, a side shot would be better to see how the end cap edge would affect you.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#9 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Straight on side shot is about the only.pic I don't have. Lol. I will.take one and post it. Thanks for the info on these.

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..

#10 Cheese Queen

Cheese Queen

• Validated Members
  • 69 posts
  • SKP#:102441

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

We installed the air tabs on our 34' MH last summer, and found a dramatic improvement in handling- the "whoosh/suck" from passing semi's was reduced to virtually nothing, and strong headwinds and quartering winds were reduced significantly in effect.

The rear of the MH and the front of the toad stayed cleaner, but spray during heavy rains seemed to fog up the rear-view camera a bit more.

The effect on mileage was not marked.

#11 Don S.

Don S.

• Validated Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

We installed the air tabs on our 34' MH last summer, and found a dramatic improvement in handling- the "whoosh/suck" from passing semi's was reduced to virtually nothing, and strong headwinds and quartering winds were reduced significantly in effect.

The rear of the MH and the front of the toad stayed cleaner, but spray during heavy rains seemed to fog up the rear-view camera a bit more.

The effect on mileage was not marked.

Friends of ours mounted the air tabs and their report is the same as yours.

#12 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Here's the pic as promised.

Posted Image

On the outside edges, walls and roof, spaced about every 3"-4". It is hard to tell from the photo, a side shot would be better to see how the end cap edge would affect you.

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..

#13 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4527 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

It look like you end cap seam is about the same as mine. Measure from the seam to the where the flat surface starts to ccurve. The AirTabs are 4.76" long.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#14 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2180 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

It look like you end cap seam is about the same as mine. Measure from the seam to the where the flat surface starts to ccurve. The AirTabs are 4.76" long.

Mine is only 2 or 3 inches at most. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Brian
USAF Ret

~ Thomas Jefferson..

#15 Trailertoad1

Trailertoad1

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

I have used them for 3 years. On my 38' pusher and on my two-car 26' stacker car trailer.
The difference it made in mileage and handling was OUTSTANDING!

I know my setup is a bit different but the ones on the rear of the coach straightened the air out enough to reduce trailer drag significantly. We used taped on pieces of yearn, before and after, to see the air current change.
The rear of the trailer stays super clean and is a LOT MORE STABLE when a semi comes rolling alongside at 65 mph.

With the addition of my roof spoiler, also equipped with AirTabs I went from a best of 6.9 mpg towing the 17,000 trailer to always getting over 8.0 mpg and sometimes 9.0 in calm weather.

Like I said, my setup was unusual but the Airtabs work. I thjink I have photos you can see them, if so, I will post it.

Jok Nicholson
Trailer Toad LLC
making towing with motor homes, easier.

Attached Files

Jok and Barb Nicholson
On the road with our Trailer Toad.

#16 Mike and Claudia

Mike and Claudia

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 628 posts
  • SKP#:17783

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

I had a gent from B.C. come in the other day. He had them and he said he liked them peachy! Of course he laid out $ 300+ plus for them, so he probably wouldn't say he hated them, especially since his wife was standing there beside him.

mw
Traveling America in "God's Grace"

#17 vmarr

vmarr

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts
  • SKP#:97455

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Brianwl, I called the guy that sells them, and he said that if you had a seam on your rv, put them on ahead of it, because they're about 3/4 in or so high, and the seam isn't that high. I ask because I have the same deal, not enough room behind the seam. Where was you stationed in the AF ? Was you ever in Thailand ?
08 Fleetwood Excursion, me, ex farmer, DW, retired (RN), and Bow, Lilly, and Little Bit the mutts

#18 Trailertoad1

Trailertoad1

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

You can figure 3 Airtabs per foot.
make sure you go across the roof as well.
They usually sell for about $2.95 ea.
We usually have 100 or so in the race trailer if you can't find them anywhere else.

email me at jok@trailertoad.com

Thanks, (Hope that wasn't against the rules??)

Jok
Jok and Barb Nicholson
On the road with our Trailer Toad.

#19 TNMURP

TNMURP

• Validated Members
  • 88 posts
  • SKP#:105242

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

I installed them on my '08 Seneca and they work great at keeping the road grime, grit off your rear cap.

You can duplicate action by spraying with a water hose on to a tab attached to a item of sort.

During a rain shower you can see the water balloning out rather than turning into the rear cap.

As far as fuel savings I don't know whether the tabs helps or not as I had no fuel base line prior to installing the air tabs.

As far as sway control I dont think they help but I do have anti sway attachment and helper springs on the rear installed by Henderson so I really do not know if the tab's help in that situation either.

Regards,
Toney Murphy
SKP105242
ToneyMurp
Fishing /Rock Hound 101
'08 Seneca
'06 GP Wrangler toad
'42&'44 vintage