• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Croft

Croft

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

My 2005 Tioga has one battery compartment in which I have two six volt golf cart batteries.

My control panel has test buttons labeled "Main Battery" and "Aux battery". They both read full charge when pressed. There is a toggle switch labeled "Aux Battery" that can be turned on or off. No matter what I do with this switch, both battery test indicators keep showing full and the RV lights do not go off. When I operate the switch, I can hear a relay operate.

What and where is this "Aux Battery".

Edited by Croft, 27 February 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#2 DX75

DX75

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

My 2005 Tioga has one battery compartment in which I have two six volt golf cart batteries.

My control panel has test buttons labeled "Main Battery" and "Aux battery". They both read full charge when pressed. There is a toggle switch labeled "Aux Battery" that can be turned on or off. No matter what I do with this switch, both battery test indicators keep showing full and the RV lights do not go off. When I operate the switch, I can hear a relay operate.

What and where is this "Aux Battery".

The Aux or house batteries should be under the main door step inside the rv. They only operate the house porrtion of the rv. Your golf cart batteries are the house/ aux batts. I'm not sure if you are referring to a battery test panel or a battery disconnect panel. The relay you hear may be the disconnect switch and the interior lights should go off as long as you are not plugged into 120v cord, no solar panels or generator running. If both battery sets are always reading the same there is wiring problem with the panel. Rarely will both sets read exactly the same...

#3 Croft

Croft

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

So the "Main" designation refers to the truck battery and the "Aux" refers to the coach batteries under the stairs? I have been doing my testing with the RV plugged in to AC so may not be doing it properly. I also have solar power feeding the coach batteries. The panel is on the wall inside the main entrance and is a test panel with buttons for fresh water, gray, black, propane, main bat, aux bat. There are 5 lights to show the various levels (E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F). This panel also holds the water pump and water heater switches and generator start switch.

The Main / Aux battery selection switch is also on this panel. I have been leaving this switch in the "Main" position and have boondocked for 1 - 2 nights many times with it like this. I will have to unplug the rig and do some more testing.

#4 geysergazers

geysergazers

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1627 posts
  • SKP#:100106

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Croft, I’m not sure but I believe that “aux” switch may be to connect your Coach batteries to the engine starting battery in the event the starting battery is dead.

There is a toggle switch labeled "Aux Battery" that can be turned on or off.

The Main / Aux battery selection switch is also on this panel. I have been leaving this switch in the "Main” position

Are these, indeed, two separate toggle switches?

http://traveldolphin.blogspot.com/
Marco&Scape, a 2009 17Ft 3000Lb fully self contained CNW TT and a Turbocharged, Intercooled, Direct Injected Ford Escape TV

Growing older is so much more Fun than the only Alternative

#5 Croft

Croft

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Same switch but poorly described. In running some tests, I think I have answered my own question.

It is a horizontally mounted "switch" with "Aux Battery" engraved above it. The switch is labeled "On" to the left side and "Off" to the right. The switch does not stay in the position it is pushed but rather returns to a neutral position. When I am plugged in to an RV park. the indicator light is on no matter which position the switch is in but when I unplug from the RV park and push it to the "Off" side, the indicator light goes off, the battery is disconnected and all lights and accessories go off in the RV.

What this is, is a battery cutoff switch. A previous poster gave me the idea of doing some tests with the RV unplugged and that did it. I have previously tested it only when I was plugged in and it did nothing. It could certainly be labeled a little better.

The start assist switch that Lew mentioned is located on the dash, under the steering wheel. I had to use this last winter when my truck battery went bad.

I did not want to get too deep into anything as we are parked on the Caribbean Sea near the Mexico - Belize border and there are no RV repair shops here. Or anywhere near here! Thanks everyone!

Sorry but I am not my mother's brightest child.

Edited by Croft, 02 March 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#6 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20270 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Croft

Some battery isolator devices are wired to reconnect the battery when the converter gets power and so if you are plugged into shore power it will click, but not turn of the batteries. The one in our 98 Cruise Master is that way and it is by Intelitec. It sounds like yours is the same.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg