• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 roamrs

roamrs

• Validated Members
  • 29 posts
  • SKP#:111126

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

The LP Gas detector gives a single beep about every 2 to 3 minutes. The yellow light does not change to red when it does this. I've hit the reset button a couple of times but that does not fix it. I've also wiped the detector off with a damp cloth. We do not have any appliances running on propane. We've opened all the windows and doors, but this hasn't helped either. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#2 AFChap

AFChap

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3289 posts
  • SKP#:83500

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Bad battery ...or low voltage for a hard-wired unit? And how old is it? I think 7 years is the recommended replacement time. They do wear out, and some do have a "I'm dead, replace me" alarm mode...
Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E
'05 Honda Odyssey
Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART
http://www.pjrider.com

#3 roamrs

roamrs

• Validated Members
  • 29 posts
  • SKP#:111126

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

The device is a "Safe Alert RV Propane Gas Detector", and it is less than 1 year old.

#4 Barncats

Barncats

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

The LP Gas detector gives a single beep about every 2 to 3 minutes. The yellow light does not change to red when it does this. I've hit the reset button a couple of times but that does not fix it. I've also wiped the detector off with a damp cloth. We do not have any appliances running on propane. We've opened all the windows and doors, but this hasn't helped either. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ours did that once and it turned out to be (at least this is what I attributed it to) our neighbor had just dumped their black tank.
We had a window open on the same side that he dumped.
H2S gas will form in raw sewage when agitated and will sit in low lying spots.
We turned on the fans to suck out and clear the air and shut the window on said side.

Seemed to have solved the problem.

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber
71e23357-ed11-4a51-aa6d-65e10c8253b1_zps

#5 Big Greg

Big Greg

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 660 posts
  • SKP#:96353

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

I believe the most common cause of your problem is either low 12v voltage or a bad detector. Check to see you have 12.5v to 13.2v at the detector. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

#6 David & Lorna Schinske

David & Lorna Schinske

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2590 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

The LP Gas detector gives a single beep about every 2 to 3 minutes... We do not have any appliances running on propane...

I'm confused. Why do you have an LP Gas Detector if you don't have any LP gas appliances? Or did I read that wrong?

#7 Jim n Sue

Jim n Sue

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1091 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Instructions should be on the back of the detector... I bought a GPS in 2010 that had a 2008 battery in itPosted Image..The constant beep would have me replacing battery or throwing it out.Posted Image
Jim Spence
2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB
BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans
34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

#8 Ran D. St. Clair

Ran D. St. Clair

• Validated Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

I recently had the same problem. Replaced the battery and it fixed it. I don't know why it would complain about the low battery when it has steady 12V from the house batteries, but it did.

#9 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20290 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I completely agree with Greg's view of the problem, and I spent 40 years working on similar types of equipment.

I'm confused. Why do you have an LP Gas Detector if you don't have any LP gas appliances? Or did I read that wrong?

I think that what he means is that he is not operating anything on propane at present.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#10 Budd

Budd

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2905 posts
  • SKP#:88936

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Newer detectors like this that have a limited lifetime sensor in them "expire" and begin beeping at long intervals. Yes, they will also let you know if the backup battery needs replacing but replacing a battery in an expired unit will only stop it for a short time. The problem is that it has been "used up" according to the design specs and may now be unreliable.

I have had this happen on a Carbon Monoxide detector made in 2006 and expired in 5 years and on a Smoke detector that was built in 2001 and expired in 10 years. It just started going off like this last week with 1 beep every minute or three. I had only installed it new at Thanksgiving 2011. I did not check the date of manufacture when I bought it. It really Irked me but it is cheap insurance to insure that you always have a working detector.

Unfortunately, I checked the expiration on the CO detector I bought and replaced, also at Thanksgiving 2011. It was made in 2010 so it will not last me the 5 years before it has to be replaced again But the date of manufacture is not visible without busting open the blister pack so be sure you check it before you buy the replacements.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Emery & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

#11 bobsallyh

bobsallyh

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1081 posts
  • SKP#:78750

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Emery brings up an excellent point. Sometime when you are in a RV parts house look at the date on an LP detector. Many grow "old" just sitting on the shelf.

#12 Billieg

Billieg

• Validated Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Newer detectors like this that have a limited lifetime sensor in them "expire" and begin beeping at long intervals. Yes, they will also let you know if the backup battery needs replacing but replacing a battery in an expired unit will only stop it for a short time. The problem is that it has been "used up" according to the design specs and may now be unreliable.

I have had this happen on a Carbon Monoxide detector made in 2006 and expired in 5 years and on a Smoke detector that was built in 2001 and expired in 10 years. It just started going off like this last week with 1 beep every minute or three. I had only installed it new at Thanksgiving 2011. I did not check the date of manufacture when I bought it. It really Irked me but it is cheap insurance to insure that you always have a working detector.

Unfortunately, I checked the expiration on the CO detector I bought and replaced, also at Thanksgiving 2011. It was made in 2010 so it will not last me the 5 years before it has to be replaced again But the date of manufacture is not visible without busting open the blister pack so be sure you check it before you buy the replacements.

How does the detector know when it was made? I should think it has some type of part in it that after so many years just wears out and alerts the battery. Since it has no power in the packaging it has no way to know how long it has been in there and only knows when it first gets power so it doesn't matter when you buy it just when you install it.
2007 F-350 dually/diesel & 2007 Sunnybrook 391' 5th wheel & custom built Harley. Pine Island Fl.

#13 Budd

Budd

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2905 posts
  • SKP#:88936

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

According to Kidd, it remembers the first time it is powered up and counts from there.:

Unit Malfunction
In the rare event that your alarm malfunctions,
it will alert you with a short “chirp” and the red
LED will flash once every 30 seconds. The
digital model will display “Err” as shown in
Fig. 6.
Seven years after initial power up, this unit will "chirp" every
30 seconds to indicate that it is time to replace the alarm.
The unit will not detect CO in this condition. Please replace
immediately.
Note: Your Kidde CO Alarm will NOT monitor CO levels while an
error warning is being displayed.
Figure 6

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Emery & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise