32 replies to this topic

#1 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts
  • SKP#:108416

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hello-
I have been reading the tv forum for awhile. I am just as confused as when I started reading the forum.
We plan on being full timers by the summer. Our unit did not come with any satellite receiver. We have cable wiring for 3 tvs. I see this as an advantage since I can now employ the latest tech that 2012 has to offer.

-So, which provider is the best. We would like a somewhat full spectrum of tv programs. I have read (in the forum) that the equipment is not interchangeable between providers. Is this true?
-I have also read the east/west coast choices. How interchangeable are the services based on our location?
-I am thinking of purchasing the equipment, is this a wise choice?
-Is there some place where I can get a cheat sheet on all the tv/satellite acronyms?

Any advice you can give if you were in a position of starting fresh would be a great help so that I don't have to repeat some of your agonies!

Thank you much!

HELP!!

#2 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4507 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I guess one of the things that might be helpful is, what do you want to watch on tv? And how much tv do you want to watch?

This is one of those things I go around and around with in my own mind.

I do kinda like to watch tv. But there aren't that many channels that hold my interest very well. I like to watch some of the cooking shows and the building/remodeling shows. I don't spend a lot of time with movies, news or sports. So for me, a Dish or Direct subscription maybe wouldn't be all that valuable. We have a batwing on top of the rv and that pretty much gets us usable tv most of the places we've been.

Another thing to consider is what may be available at the parks you'll be staying in. If you're staying in fairly high end places, most of them will probably have a free cable tv connection that goes with the site.

(The park we're in right now has cable tv that's free to hook up to right at the site. It's pretty similar to what a lot of hotels have for their standard tv. There are a few things I'll miss when we move on down the road and we don't have that cable tv connection anymore. But not enough to make me want to go buy a satellite subscription.)

For me, I'm far more interested in the internet and spend a LOT more time online than watching tv. To each their own...

Seriously, knowing your likes and dislikes and what you want to watch might make a difference in what would work best for you.

Best of luck,

Brian

#3 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2107 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Snazzy,

Welcome to the Escapees forum!!

You say you have wiring for three tvs. Are there separate external inputs for both satelite and cable? At least on the RV's we have had, satelite signal will not pass through the standard single external input system used for cable and over the air TV from the typical batwing antenna. How many TVs you want to be able to watch satelite TV on different channels at the same time will affect what equipment you will need. We have one Direct TV receiver that we own and can suspend the service for up to a total of six months per year. I think Dish TV has a pay as you go plan if you own your own equipment. I am sure the experts will be along shortly with more information.

Again, welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!!

Edited by TCW, 19 February 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Chevy 2500 Duramax, Aspen Trail 2910

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#4 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2362 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hello and welcome. My wife and I are full-timers and have an automatic Winegard Trav'ler (HD version) mated to a DirecTV DVR. We never bother with local channels or campground cable because the DVR is set to the channels on DirecTV so there is no need to fool with that. Some people say they like local TV in order to get weather forecast; we figure we can get more detailed and accurate information from the internet. The Trav'ler is such a good system that we were able to get reception at all but two locations in the past year. We do have the usual antenna for OTA reception, but I think we used it only once.

We have DNS service with the Eastern feeds since DirecTV considers our SD address to be Eastern since it is in the Central Time Zone. We prefer the Eastern feed since it is always possible to DVR shows and watch them later. With the Western feed, many shows we like to watch would come on too late if we happened to be in the Eastern or Central zones.

We only have one TV in the MH because we never used the bedroom one in our last MH. We don't see the need to watch TV in bed and we can hear (and pretty much see) the one TV from anyplace in the coach. Nor do we see the usefulness of an outside TV since at many locations it would be difficult to watch it without being concerned about bothering other campers.

Without knowing exactly what kind of wiring you have in your coach there is no way of knowing if it will work with a satellite dish. Satellite cables cannot go through the typical distribution boxes found in many RVs. We have such a box which had to be bypassed when our dish antenna was installed.

I'm sure there are other issues I should have discussed, but I'm sure you'll get lots of other responses.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#5 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

-So, which provider is the best. We would like a somewhat full spectrum of tv programs. I have read (in the forum) that the equipment is not interchangeable between providers. Is this true?

You will need to make a choice between DirecTV and Dish Network. Neither is better but both are different in pricing, programming and usage. Find the service you like and sign up. If you think for whatever reason that you want to buy a domed antenna AND you want HDTV in your RV then Dish Network is your only choice. Once you have made a service choice you can buy the appropriate antenna for that service. I recommend the Winegard Trav'ler for either service as long as you don't need to watch TV while driving down the road. Others will have other opinions.

-I have also read the east/west coast choices. How interchangeable are the services based on our location?

Location is not and issue of location. You get the exact same programming no matter where you are and that's the huge advantage of receiving E/W DNS Networks.

With DirecTV, even purchased equipment is leased. DTV owns all of their equipment no matter the source. Dish Network has several programs to choose from.

-Is there some place where I can get a cheat sheet on all the tv/satellite acronyms?

No really.
DNS: Distant Network Services
HD: High Def.
SD: Standard Def

Hit us up with some acronyms and we will help.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#6 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I guess one of the things that might be helpful is, what do you want to watch on tv? And how much tv do you want to watch?

This is one of those things I go around and around with in my own mind.

I do kinda like to watch tv. But there aren't that many channels that hold my interest very well. I like to watch some of the cooking shows and the building/remodeling shows. I don't spend a lot of time with movies, news or sports. So for me, a Dish or Direct subscription maybe wouldn't be all that valuable. We have a batwing on top of the rv and that pretty much gets us usable tv most of the places we've been.

Another thing to consider is what may be available at the parks you'll be staying in. If you're staying in fairly high end places, most of them will probably have a free cable tv connection that goes with the site.

(The park we're in right now has cable tv that's free to hook up to right at the site. It's pretty similar to what a lot of hotels have for their standard tv. There are a few things I'll miss when we move on down the road and we don't have that cable tv connection anymore. But not enough to make me want to go buy a satellite subscription.)

For me, I'm far more interested in the internet and spend a LOT more time online than watching tv. To each their own...

Seriously, knowing your likes and dislikes and what you want to watch might make a difference in what would work best for you.

Best of luck,

Brian

#7 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Brain T-
Thank You for your reply. You have made a good point about many parks having tv service.
Regards-
Ted

#8 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Snazzy,

Welcome to the Escapees forum!!

You say you have wiring for three tvs. Are there separate external inputs for both satelite and cable? At least on the RV's we have had, satelite signal will not pass through the standard single external input system used for cable and over the air TV from the typical batwing antenna. How many TVs you want to be able to watch satelite TV on different channels at the same time will affect what equipment you will need. We have one Direct TV receiver that we own and can suspend the service for up to a total of six months per year. I think Dish TV has a pay as you go plan if you own your own equipment. I am sure the experts will be along shortly with more information.

Again, welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!!

#9 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hello TWC
I am thinking of wiring 2 of the internal tvs for satellite reception. I hadn't considered that as fate would have it, that the cable from the batwing signal will not handle the satellite receiver signal. So, I will need to run an additional cable for the satellite signal to each tv? Our unit has come prewired for a satellite receiver, hopefully they ran the able for me.
Thanx for the imput.
Regards-
Ted

#10 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hello and welcome. My wife and I are full-timers and have an automatic Winegard Trav'ler (HD version) mated to a DirecTV DVR. We never bother with local channels or campground cable because the DVR is set to the channels on DirecTV so there is no need to fool with that. Some people say they like local TV in order to get weather forecast; we figure we can get more detailed and accurate information from the internet. The Trav'ler is such a good system that we were able to get reception at all but two locations in the past year. We do have the usual antenna for OTA reception, but I think we used it only once.

We have DNS service with the Eastern feeds since DirecTV considers our SD address to be Eastern since it is in the Central Time Zone. We prefer the Eastern feed since it is always possible to DVR shows and watch them later. With the Western feed, many shows we like to watch would come on too late if we happened to be in the Eastern or Central zones.

We only have one TV in the MH because we never used the bedroom one in our last MH. We don't see the need to watch TV in bed and we can hear (and pretty much see) the one TV from anyplace in the coach. Nor do we see the usefulness of an outside TV since at many locations it would be difficult to watch it without being concerned about bothering other campers.

Without knowing exactly what kind of wiring you have in your coach there is no way of knowing if it will work with a satellite dish. Satellite cables cannot go through the typical distribution boxes found in many RVs. We have such a box which had to be bypassed when our dish antenna was installed.

I'm sure there are other issues I should have discussed, but I'm sure you'll get lots of other responses.

Joel

#11 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hello DOCJ-
So the Eastern feed will work on the West Coast?
I am not really of thinking of using the outside tv also. I need to start looking at my wiring!
Thanx-
Ted

#12 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

You will need to make a choice between DirecTV and Dish Network. Neither is better but both are different in pricing, programming and usage. Find the service you like and sign up. If you think for whatever reason that you want to buy a domed antenna AND you want HDTV in your RV then Dish Network is your only choice. Once you have made a service choice you can buy the appropriate antenna for that service. I recommend the Winegard Trav'ler for either service as long as you don't need to watch TV while driving down the road. Others will have other opinions.

Location is not and issue of location. You get the exact same programming no matter where you are and that's the huge advantage of receiving E/W DNS Networks.

With DirecTV, even purchased equipment is leased. DTV owns all of their equipment no matter the source. Dish Network has several programs to choose from.

No really.
DNS: Distant Network Services
HD: High Def.
SD: Standard Def

Hit us up with some acronyms and we will help.

#13 SNAZZY

SNAZZY

• Validated Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hello Bill & Janet Adams-
Thank You for your response.
We will look at the different company programming options for service selection.
So, I will need to purchase a satellite plan & then install the equipment? If I were to change providers down the road, I will need to also pull their boxes out & reinstall the new provider's box?
Regards-
Ted

#14 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hello Bill & Janet Adams-
Thank You for your response.
We will look at the different company programming options for service selection.
So, I will need to purchase a satellite plan & then install the equipment? If I were to change providers down the road, I will need to also pull their boxes out & reinstall the new provider's box?
Regards-
Ted

Yes, each service requires that you use their receiver.
Also, from a note above, the same coax cable that sends the Batwing single to each TV can be used to send the satellite TV signal to each TV as long as you are only talking about standard definition satellite TV. You should have a video controller with push buttons where you select Ant, VCR, Aux, etc. If you have the larger version is will also have a Sat. option. In either case you simply plug the satellite receiver output to this controller and you can watch whatever channel is on that receiver on any TV in the coach.
If you would like HD programming at each TV you will either need a separate receiver for each TV or re-wire the entire coach for HDMI.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#15 pairajays

pairajays

• Validated Members
  • 200 posts
  • SKP#:37177

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hello-
I have been reading the tv forum for awhile. I am just as confused as when I started reading the forum.
We plan on being full timers by the summer. Our unit did not come with any satellite receiver. We have cable wiring for 3 tvs. I see this as an advantage since I can now employ the latest tech that 2012 has to offer.

Any advice you can give if you were in a position of starting fresh would be a great help so that I don't have to repeat some of your agonies!

Thank you much!

HELP!!

Contrary to what you may have read, there is a way to get your satellite TV signal on all your TVs via the existing coax, however, it will not be HD. On the back of your satellite receiver there are three jacks, red, white, and yellow. They are labeled "Audio Out", red is right and white is left. The third jack is yellow and labeled "Video". There is a device, don't recall what they are called, that converts these three lines into one coax cable which can be routed to all your TVs via a distribution box. These "converter" devices can be purchased at almost any electronics store including Wal-Mart. They cost about $20.

Jim E

#16 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2362 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hello DOCJ-
So the Eastern feed will work on the West Coast?
I am not really of thinking of using the outside tv also. I need to start looking at my wiring!
Thanx-
Ted

Hi Ted:

Yes, once you get the DNS feed you can use it anywhere in the US (and parts of Canada). We spent some time in WA last year and the network news would come on at 3:30 in the afternoon because it was a NY station. With the DVR we rarely watched it at that hour, but it was fun to be able to watch Jay Leno at 8:30!

With regard to the cabling needed for satellite TV within your coach, most DVRs will necessitate that you have two cables going from the antenna to the DVR so you can watch one channel while recording another. Your pre-wiring may or may not have that extra cable.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#17 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Contrary to what you may have read, there is a way to get your satellite TV signal on all your TVs via the existing coax, however, it will not be HD. On the back of your satellite receiver there are three jacks, red, white, and yellow. They are labeled "Audio Out", red is right and white is left. The third jack is yellow and labeled "Video". There is a device, don't recall what they are called, that converts these three lines into one coax cable which can be routed to all your TVs via a distribution box. These "converter" devices can be purchased at almost any electronics store including Wal-Mart. They cost about $20.

Jim E

All standard definition satellite receivers already have the Out To TV connection and you would hook things up as I describe above. Jim is referring to the output from a HD receiver which does not come with a coax output and his description is accurate. The device he is referring to is called an RF modulator such as this one. http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103095

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#18 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1056 posts
  • SKP#:79313

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

If you would like HD programming at each TV you will either need a separate receiver for each TV or re-wire the entire coach for HDMI.

And there is yet another option, Snazzy, for HDMI -- wireless HDMI.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV / www.rvSeniorMoments.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't necessarily agree with everything that I say.

-- Marshall McLuhan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#19 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3379 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

That would be great! Has anyone ever tried anything like this in a motor home / RV? It would be perfect for my setup. If something like that won't work I would need to run an HDMI cable from the bedroom, across the roof and into the front TV compartment. I know it would work, I just don't feel like doing it!

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#20 DonF

DonF

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1115 posts
  • SKP#:103279

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

And there is yet another option, Snazzy, for HDMI -- wireless HDMI.

Wow,,, and WOW!

I have TWO receivers, one SAT wire to each (from the dome-dish on the roof); we are SD-only, so coax to the TV's is what's in use today. LR unit is HD capable, BR unit is not.

We switched to DirecTV (from DISH) abit over 5 years ago to get all our programming from a single LNB; when parked under the trees (or in the northern latitudes) we use an external dish/reflector that is much easier to point-and-find one satellite (rather than 2 or 3 or 5!).

IF (and when) we re-do our setup, there are pro's and con's to each option. What we wanted is the ability to record a program on the DVR (in the LR) and play it in the BR. I can do that today, but it means the LR tv must also watch the same thing (if using satellite), else can use the OTA antenna for local programs.

As I understand the DISH option, they would put a receiver (or DVR-receiver) in each room where we want recorded programs; but, there's no provision to watch in the BR something that's on the LR DVR. However, there appears to be a way to "extract" programs from a DISH DVR, so one could use an external hard-drive (or thumb-drive?) to move programs from one room to the other. Alternatively, DirecTV DVR's make it difficult to do this; I have a recorder that I can use to pull recording from the DVR, it's just not as convenient as using multi-room DVR option.

JUST recently learned HD signal requires HDMI connection to the tv; so, the news about wireless HDMI (from Skywalker) will probably be a big help -- when/if we wanna watch in HD. Currently, we don't much care, for the type of programs we watch; eventually, we probably will appreciate it, just not now.

So, to get multi-room DVR we gotta go/stay with DirecTV and the HD-DVR --- that's fine with me. AND, as I understand it, the old, external SD reflector could still be used for single-LNB, single satellite reception when parked under the trees.

Gettng DirecTV has another BIG advantage: they can use SWM from the roof-top, so we could use both receiver inputs (ie, record two channels at once, and view any previously recorded program, as well).

So... my remaining "challenge" is to determine what each receiver has for output jacks -- to confirm we can use the multi-room DVR capability when using the newer, roof-top (Trav'ler), but still do what we can today when parked under the trees (to, at least, get SD and DVR capability)... wanna be fully, down-ward compatible (just like with computers).

OTOH, you might want to consider having full HD from a portable, external dish/reflector; I had a neighbor who signed up with DISH, the installer came to the camp site, installed receivers and outside reflector/dish with cement-blocks to hold it in place --- and it uses only THREE satellites (ie, LNB's); I think DirecTV will use 5-LNB solution for (many?) customers, though a 3-LNB unit can work for some.

So... my confusion (and research) continues.

-Don

Edited by DonF, 20 February 2012 - 06:42 PM.

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Smart loader,
ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,
2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),
2005 smart fortwo passion