Direct TV and RV'ing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#21 RADJAD

RADJAD

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yes, the home receiver will work fine on the road. The same kind of antenna that you have on your house will be necessary while you are on the road if you want to be able to receive the HDTV programming in your RV. If you can get by with SDTV only in the RV then you could go with a simple single LNB antenna that is very easy to point and very inexpensive to buy.
If you travel more than a few hundred miles from home you will lose your local Network programming (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and the little ones). This is likely not an issue if your plans are to take a home receiver as you are not likely going to far anyway. As long as you don't get to far away from a reasonable sized city you may still be able to receive this programming with your OTA crank-up antenna.

#22 racer bob

racer bob

• Validated Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Wondering which way is the most reliable equipment wise. I am setting up a Winegard 3005 on my RV for HD but when at home base need to use an external dish which no doubt will be SWM. I only use one TV and one receiver, most likely an HR24. Seems the easiest and less expensive route is just use BBCs on the input lines from the 3005 and then disconnect them and connect the single line from the home base dish and let the receiver detect the SWM line.

My question is how reliable are the BBCs.

I can get them (2) for around $20-25. I can also get the SWM8 setup kit with power inserter (one more thing to power) for around $45 to 60 and just deal with one line. Maybe even get an a/b switch

What do the experienced folks think

Racer Bob

#23 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3867 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

The BBC's are extremely dependable and should last "forever". Either option will work (SWM or BBC) but if you don't need to buy SWM (the RV is already wired with 2 coax for your DVR) then I would not bother. If this is new, I would install the SWM, run only one coax and move the box seamlessly between the 2 locations.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#24 racer bob

racer bob

• Validated Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks Bill;

Good point. I haven't installed the dish yet. This is assuming I install the SWM on the roof and the 4 short cables to it then just one inside ?

Racer Bob

Edited by racer bob, 16 December 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#25 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3867 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Yep!
http://www.winegard....oad/2452242.pdf

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#26 racer bob

racer bob

• Validated Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Yes I had down loaded that PDF.

I also notice on the Winegard PDF about how to hook up different combination's they show a Dome and 3005 set up where each going through a seperate SWM and then an A/B switch to change which signal goes t the receiver. Do you know if there is such a switch that will work with the SWM signal ?

Racer Bob

#27 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3867 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Yes I had down loaded that PDF.

I also notice on the Winegard PDF about how to hook up different combination's they show a Dome and 3005 set up where each going through a seperate SWM and then an A/B switch to change which signal goes t the receiver. Do you know if there is such a switch that will work with the SWM signal ?

Racer Bob

Be sure you use the setup on page 5-6 and not 7-8, but my suggestion (Winegard has no suggestions) is the Radio Shack High Isolation A/B switch. I see no reason that this would not work.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#28 none

none

• Validated Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

I can vouch for this one:

Amazon

#29 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4645 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

The BBC's are extremely dependable and should last "forever".

"Should" is the operative word. I had one fail a couple years ago. DirecTV sent me two, so I now have a spare.
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#30 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2025 posts
  • SKP#:111554

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm starting to look at Direct TV and Dish so now I don't understand. What is DNS? Obviously not Domain Name Service that's internet. Who prefers what and I see there is a mess of hardware to sort through as well. I thought thius was supposed to be simple. Setup a tripod, antenna and receiver. You guys make it sound like rocket science.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

#31 racer bob

racer bob

• Validated Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Great work guys.

Racer Bob

#32 racer bob

racer bob

• Validated Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ranger and Jin :

From what I have learned if all you want is, like me, one TV to get HD and a tripod mounted dish then that is all you will need. It gets more complicated if you want, like me, to be able to switch between a dish on the MH and one at my home base. Now if you want more than one receiver and TV in the system then it gets more complicated just like if you want the same thing in a house. Keep it simple and it isn't that complicated. You get a receiver and dish that is rated for that system, Directv or dish and go from there.

Hope that helps

Racer Bob

#33 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7513 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

DNS = Distant Network Service. You get either NY or LA (or some of us are grandfathered in and get both) of NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX,CW,PBS. Available only to mobile users such as RVers and truck drivers.
Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#34 w6pea

w6pea

• Validated Members
  • 141 posts
  • SKP#:108788

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am kinda confused.
I have a box that I had at my home when I had Directv in 2004. I dropped them. Then I went back to Directv in 2011, I was going to be out of contract in March. I was told that I would own that equipment now I upgraded an HD box to an HD/DVR I now am in another contract. If I install the box that I have had from 2004 is it now a leased box?(because of a policy change by Directv) Also what do I need to do to make it work in my RV I am thinking of getting a Winegard Carryout for Directv instead of using the tripod set up I got from Directv when I signed up.(yes I have been procrastinating about installing in the RV) I guess I will need to get a new card for the box I own, but if it becomes a lease box I may as well add another receiver. For how long can I deactivate a box in the RV or would it be better or would I be better off to just bring one box from the house to the RV when we are going to be traveling?
Thanks Happy New Year.

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see real the Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

#35 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3867 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Too many questions about too many things all wrapped up in on post.
You have old 2004 equipment.
You appear to have new equipment as of 2011 which appears to have you under contract until 2013.
You may have gotten new, new equipment that would have you under contract for 2 more years (2015?)
You seem to want to activate really old (2004) equipment for some reason rather than using your existing equipment and just moving it between the house and RV.
You can suspend DTV service for up to 6 months or you can suspend service on any one box for just about any length of time you like.
Could you clarify a bit?

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#36 w6pea

w6pea

• Validated Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Too many questions about too many things all wrapped up in on post.
You have old 2004 equipment.
You appear to have new equipment as of 2011 which appears to have you under contract until 2013.
You may have gotten new, new equipment that would have you under contract for 2 more years (2015?)
You seem to want to activate really old (2004) equipment for some reason rather than using your existing equipment and just moving it between the house and RV.
You can suspend DTV service for up to 6 months or you can suspend service on any one box for just about any length of time you like.
Could you clarify a bit?

Yes I did want to use the old equipment so I didn't have to move the box back and forth. But to do that I probably will have to add another receiver. So maybe another receiver fee also.
Yes I do have Equipment that is from 2004 When we had Directv before. I am under the understanding I do not own it if I use it again or am I wrong? (it's now leased equipment) Or is somebody telling me wrong.
Yes I was going to be out of contract in March, I upgraded one of my boxes to an HD/DVR from an SD-Receiver so now I am under contract again until 2014 November.

"Take me to the Brig....I want to see real the Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

#37 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3867 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

So, whether you have a leased box or not (really doesn't matter much since the box from 2004 likely has little or no value anyway) that means that if you want to activate an additional box you will pay the $7/month fee for the additional box on your account. The fee is applied to every active receiver on your account. You may be able to use the existing card as long as that card was originally on this account. Worst case you will have to pay for a new card which should cost around $20.
There are a number of ways you could get service in your RV. The Carryout or the new semi-automatic Carryout Anser are easy choices. You just have to consider how you will get the coax cabling from the antenna to where your receiver will be located. You will not be able to use the existing cable entry connection as it stands and depending on the type of RV you may not be able to use it at all. That can still be a pretty easy issue to deal with, it just may take a bit of thinking and running of new cable(s).
For a few dollars more you could also install a roof mounted automatic antenna (dome or open face) for the additional convenience but this is not practical if you like to camp in the trees. The Carryout type antenna would give you the most flexibility.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#38 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4286 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Your old 2004 receiver will work in the RV. They should still have the card in their system.
You would have to activate it again. And to Directv it would be a lease at $6 month plus any tax.

If you leave it in the RV you will have to call them when you want it shut off and back on.
They usually only allow doing that once a year for up to 6 months on/off.

It is much simpler to take one from the house that doesn't require any call in for it.
I had a new one activated a couple weeks ago. And was on hold for 1 hour and 2 minutes before I got a live person. :angry:
Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB Banks PowerPack
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
"08" LT2 HHR Toad
Posted Image

#39 w6pea

w6pea

• Validated Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

So, whether you have a leased box or not (really doesn't matter much since the box from 2004 likely has little or no value anyway) that means that if you want to activate an additional box you will pay the $7/month fee for the additional box on your account. The fee is applied to every active receiver on your account. You may be able to use the existing card as long as that card was originally on this account. Worst case you will have to pay for a new card which should cost around $20.
There are a number of ways you could get service in your RV. The Carryout or the new semi-automatic Carryout Anser are easy choices. You just have to consider how you will get the coax cabling from the antenna to where your receiver will be located. You will not be able to use the existing cable entry connection as it stands and depending on the type of RV you may not be able to use it at all. That can still be a pretty easy issue to deal with, it just may take a bit of thinking and running of new cable(s).
For a few dollars more you could also install a roof mounted automatic antenna (dome or open face) for the additional convenience but this is not practical if you like to camp in the trees. The Carryout type antenna would give you the most flexibility.

Your old 2004 receiver will work in the RV. They should still have the card in their system.
You would have to activate it again. And to Directv it would be a lease at $6 month plus any tax.

If you leave it in the RV you will have to call them when you want it shut off and back on.
They usually only allow doing that once a year for up to 6 months on/off.

It is much simpler to take one from the house that doesn't require any call in for it.
I had a new one activated a couple weeks ago. And was on hold for 1 hour and 2 minutes before I got a live person. :angry:

I Think it probably will be cheaper and easier to just bring the box from my guest bedroom at the house and just use it with a carry out receiver.
Now to get it wired in for the satellite receiver box.
Thanks Happy New Year.

"Semper Fi"