Direct TV and RV'ing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 brianr

brianr

• Validated Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

We are in the process of switching to Direct TV in our sticks and bricks home. Can I take one of my home receivers with me when we travel to get satellite TV? Which dish is the best for using with Direct TV that is low cost? How hard are the dishes to point and get a good connection? Any suggestions would be very appreciative.

#2 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3983 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Yes, the home receiver will work fine on the road. The same kind of antenna that you have on your house will be necessary while you are on the road if you want to be able to receive the HDTV programming in your RV. If you can get by with SDTV only in the RV then you could go with a simple single LNB antenna that is very easy to point and very inexpensive to buy.
If you travel more than a few hundred miles from home you will lose your local Network programming (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and the little ones). This is likely not an issue if your plans are to take a home receiver as you are not likely going to far anyway. As long as you don't get to far away from a reasonable sized city you may still be able to receive this programming with your OTA crank-up antenna.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#3 brianr

brianr

• Validated Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Thanks Bill. So even if the receiver is an HDTV receiver, I can get a SDTV single LNB dish and that will work on the road with that HD receiver?

#4 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3983 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yep! Just avoid an H/HR25 series receiver as these will not work without a special antenna (swm switch only).

Edited by Bill & Janet Adams, 11 February 2012 - 09:02 AM.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#5 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4354 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yes what Bill said.. Check to see if the S&B set up is a SWM or non SWM setup.If the S&B is more than two receivers it is no doubt a SWM set up. You can do a non swm setup in the camper if yu will use ony two receivers but will need some adapters and a differet LNB The newer system use the (99/103/101 birds. If a installer is installing at your S&B ask them what you need for the Rv..Our installer set us up for Rv operation. It is not a difficult set up for the RV.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#6 none

none

• Validated Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Deleted

Edited by schneid, 27 February 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#7 j2catfish

j2catfish

• Validated Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

So I can use my HD receiver with a SD antenna on the road? At my S&B I use a HD antenna and a HD receiver in the LR but a SD receiver in the BR. DTV says that since I have two receivers I cannot have either distant networks or local stations unless I pay an addition subscription charge, i.e. not mirrored service. If I can use a SD antenna and a HD receiver on the road, I'll do away with the second (SD) receiver at home and just suffer with LR HD coverage only. That way, I can get either distant networks or locals without the second subscription charge. I have no problem aiming my tripod mounted SD antenna but have been told that aiming a HD antenna can be "tricky". Is this a true fact or can a semi-smart electrician align the HD antenna? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Catfish

Edited by j2catfish, 11 February 2012 - 10:31 PM.

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

#8 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4864 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

First the aiming of a multiheaded dish, really not that much harder than a single headed dish. Only one more adjustment, Skew. Since we have been on the road and for all but the last year (added a Trav'ler), when we set up a multiheaded tripod dish, we set the Skew before putting the dish on the tripod and never tweaked it, So you aim the multiheaded dish just like a single headed dish, swing the Azimuth and tweak the Elevation.

As for two receiver and DNS or Locals. Bill Adams will be the final answer on this but DNS is applied to a subscription, not a receiver, We have two receivers and have DNS for Dish.

The issue with DNS is that it is either DNS or Locals, you cannot have both at the same time. And you cannot have DNS at a S&B house. That is a FCC rule.

Now if you want DNS you probably could set yourself as an RV user, register your RV with DirecTV as a full-timer and happen to move your receivers into the S&B. You can Locals in an RV but not when DNS is turned on.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#9 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2726 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

As for two receiver and DNS or Locals. Bill Adams will be the final answer on this but DNS is applied to a subscription, not a receiver,

For a while when we were still living at our S&B we had DNS on the receiver in our MH and did not have it on those in the house itself. I believe the waiver form asks you to list the receiver(s) you want DNS on and also to list all other receivers on the account.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#10 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3983 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Accounting errors happen. The reality is correctly stated Mark. DNS or Locals but not both on any one account.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#11 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2726 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Accounting errors happen. The reality is correctly stated Mark. DNS or Locals but not both on any one account.

As Bill Clinton once said, "it's all in the meaning of the word". DirecTV doesn't have a problem with you having DNS in your RV and locals in your home as long as they treat it as two separate accounts. They can be combined on one bill. The only wrinkle is that they won't permit the receiver in the RV to be considered as an "add on" to those in the house. So you have to pay for its subscription at full price. (Of course, when you are home DirecTV doesn't have any way of knowing if the receiver from the RV "happens" to be in the house, so you can, indeed, get the DNS channels if you wanted them.)

What we did to keep the cost down was only to activate the RV's receiver for the months we were using the RV. DirecTV doesn't have any problem with suspending a receiver for six months at a time. I think you have to have it activated for at least one month before you can suspend it again.

Edited by docj, 12 February 2012 - 10:15 AM.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#12 none

none

• Validated Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Deleted

Edited by schneid, 27 February 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#13 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3983 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

As I mentioned above, accounting errors happen.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#14 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4354 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Being a full timer and not having a Domicile address creates problems and extra cost although I don't know why one can not use Livingstone Texas as a permanent address as long as it is not a P.O box???? We have 4 receivers in the S&B and just take two of them with us when on the road or here in Florida or the S.W and put the two we leave at home on vacation.
When on stays longer than a month we change our service address and get the local stations otherwise we just use the bat wing. We have been doing this for 4 years and not a problem with Directv.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#15 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3983 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Being a full-timer who is rarely in a location for more than a week or 2 the DNS service is the only logical choice for me. Being able to set the DVR once and not have to worry about changing the settings every time I change locations is enough value for me. About the only time I really care about "local" TV is when I want a weather forecast and I can usually pick that up from the OTA antenna for that 30 minutes.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#16 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 6118 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Being a full timer and not having a Domicile address creates problems and extra cost although I don't know why one can not use Livingstone Texas as a permanent address as long as it is not a P.O box????

Everyone has a domicile. And all the fulltime RVers we know have a domicile address, whether it's a mail forwarding service address or a relative's.

When on stays longer than a month we change our service address and get the local stations otherwise we just use the bat wing. We have been doing this for 4 years and not a problem with Directv.

Wouldn't work for us. Like Bill, when we are on the road, we move every few days. Rarely have we ever stayed in any one place for a whole month (except during the winter)...or even a whole week. So calling the satellite TV service (whether DirecTV or Dish Network) as we moved to change our service address to get the "local" channels would get old quickly...not to mention the fact that, eventually, we'd be denied being able to change our service address so frequently.

We mostly boondock, which means we're out in the middle of nowhere, not close to any TV signal we could pull in with a batwing (and, often, without a cell phone signal). Besides, I like knowing what comes on when and where and I like having a Guide that I can look at to see what's coming up. So, for us...and many fulltime RVers...DNS is the way to go.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#17 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18762 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

About the only time I really care about "local" TV is when I want a weather forecast and I can usually pick that up from the OTA antenna for that 30 minutes.

I use my phone or the computer for weather. Plus I do have a weather radio, should I want to use "basic" technology. I see no value at all to local channels. If you ever watched local news, I have never seen value in it. I get news over the Internet or on cable channels, which provide better news and commentary on issues than local channels do. JMO...others will vary.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#18 Bob Hatch

Bob Hatch

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Rich and catfish, aiming a DTV HD dish is not that difficult. I've built a set of instructions on my site.

http://www.bobhatch....V-SL3/index.htm

Maybe the first time or two will take a while, but I can do the entire thing in less than 20 minutes.
Bob Hatch
More RV Stuff at:
http://www.bobhatch.com

#19 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4354 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

We have the Orbital Tracker plus OTM 400 meter and set up is easy and fast.I am only looking at the birds we want and a quick tweak peaks them
We spend more time getting the tripod set up than finding the birds.

Correct as a full-timer the DNS is the logical choice. Most of the full timers we know do not move around every week or every few days.

One has to be aware of what kind of address the sat companies will accept as "domicile"

We also do like to see the local channels wherever we are as it provides a local perspective.We would have no interest on receiving our Local Cleveland, Ohio stations or any other local stations as we are in the Orlando , Fla area and like to know what is going on here.Anyhow we all do what is best for us.

#20 Woodchuck

Woodchuck

• Validated Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

We are in the process of switching to Direct TV in our sticks and bricks home. Can I take one of my home receivers with me when we travel to get satellite TV? Which dish is the best for using with Direct TV that is low cost? How hard are the dishes to point and get a good connection? Any suggestions would be very appreciative.

I'll pick a small part of your question. I point my HD Direct TV Dish using the Eagle Aspen Satellite Finder. (I bought mine for about $25.00 at Radio Shack)

To use it, just set up the parameters on your dish (bearing, elevation, twist) that can be detemined through the DT Menu based on your zip code of the area that you are in. Don't be concerned about splitting hairs on accuracy.....the satellite finder is forgiving.

Connect the LNB to one input and the receiver to the other input.

The VU meter and audio annunceator will be empowered at this point.

Follow the instructions on the satellite finder which is very easy to do.

Remove the satellite finder and connect the coaxial cable with a connector.

Done.

This is a one person operation and it has worked well for me every time. No need to run in and out of the RV checking for signal strength from the TV screen. The meter will tell you exactly when the dish is pointed correctly.

As a caviat, there are many roads to Rome...but this one gives the most tingle and is just about how the full time dish installers zero in on a new installation. The only difference is that they have a satellite finder that costs more amd is a little easier and faster to use.
A RV is safe under a roof, but that is not what an RV is made for.