23 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 861 posts
  • SKP#:102686

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

We will be visiting Canada this summer (Vancouver, Victoria, Banff, Lake Louise, Calgary)and wonder about using our phones and internet. We have Verizon phone service and Verizon 5G air card internet service. Will we be charged exorbitant fees if we use these in Canada? If so, is there an alternative? Something we can get from Verizon for use in Canada?

We will only be there two or three weeks but hate the thought of going without internet....YIKES!!! :o

Thanks

Paul

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
After 5 years Full-timing we are now Snowbirds
Home Base...... Canton, OH
2008 Carriage Cameo 35' SB3
2010 Ford F350 DRW
Blog: http://wheresweaver.blogspot.com
SKP# 102686

#2 pdq_bc

pdq_bc

• Validated Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

hi Paul

we are from canada - so the reverse issue for us

our internet provider is bell
have a mifi
have their north american plan
it is $45 per month
with this plan, it does not matter we in north america we are!
works well for us

perhaps ask you provider if they offer a north american plan

have fun!
regards, pdq

we're here... http://map.datastorm....cfm?user=12260

#3 vermilye

vermilye

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Verizon offers a "Nationwide + Canada" Plan, however the web page is a bit deceptive. The data packages on that page are for the US only. If you want the cost of data in Canada you have to go to the "Global Data Packages" page, choose Canada, and you are looking at $2.05 per Mb, or $125.00 per month for 300Mb.

You pretty much need to depend on WiFi unless you want to spend a lot of money. In Lake Louise I used a coffee shop in Lake Louise Village that provided free WiFi for the first 15 minutes & $3.75 for each additional half hour. Most of the commercial campgrounds I stayed at had good WiFi, however none was available at the Lake Louise Campground.

Edited by Jon Vermilye, 09 February 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

#4 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7251 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Paul,

You can add phone coverage for the months you are there, it isn't that expensive. HOWEVER, data coverage is very expensive. We just didn't use the aircard at all when in Canada. Found that either the park would have WiFi or we could take the laptop with us and stop at a library and they almost always had place to hook up and get on line - usually just asked for a donation for the library.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#5 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone....that's the information I was looking for! Looks like we better plan on shutting the air card OFF and rely on local WIFI connections....darn!

Guess, we'll have to make a decision on the phone service...doesn't sound too costly.

I wonder about my Traveler (Direct TV) service. Anyone know, does it pick up satellite service in western Canada? Should I assume that there is NOT extra fees for TV? We do have East coast/West coast feeds if that has an influence.. :unsure:

Thanks again.....

Paul

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

#6 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5877 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

I wonder about my Traveler (Direct TV) service. Anyone know, does it pick up satellite service in western Canada? Should I assume that there is NOT extra fees for TV? We do have East coast/West coast feeds if that has an influence.. :unsure:

Since you will be mostly in the southern parts of Canada, you should have no problems getting your DirecTV programming...at some point, the farther north you go, you'll lose coverage because the footprint for DirecTV extends only a ways into Canada. And, no there will be no extra charge...how would DirecTV even know you are in Canada? It isn't like cell phones that use towers where you can be located.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#7 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Since you will be mostly in the southern parts of Canada, you should have no problems getting your DirecTV programming...at some point, the farther north you go, you'll lose coverage because the footprint for DirecTV extends only a ways into Canada. And, no there will be no extra charge...how would DirecTV even know you are in Canada? It isn't like cell phones that use towers where you can be located.

Thanks Linda

Beats me how DirecTV would know where we are but..... :D

Glad to hear they won't be charging me extra...guess they haven't figured out a way to do that yet!

As stated in original post:
.....We will be visiting Canada this summer (Vancouver, Victoria, Banff, Lake Louise, Calgary)...... So won't be venturing that far north. Guess we'll be able to get some TV coverage of the Olympics.

Thanks for the response on the TV issues.....much appreciated.

Paul

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

#8 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2366 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Does anyone know what the story is for smart phones used in Canada? If I switch to the North American plan so the voice charges are manageable, is the data still a problem? If so, I guess I would have to turn off the phone's data connection so it doesn't use data just trying to do its basic things like downloading email.

Edited by docj, 09 February 2012 - 03:14 PM.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#9 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2776 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

docj: You should have a setting that won't do data when roaming. Mine does and it stops doing data when in Canada.

As to having your own internet I checked a while back and virginmobile.ca has USB modems for pre-paid for about $200CDN and then anywhere from $35 to $70CDN for one month of internet usage depending on the limit you want with $70 giving you 5GB. Probably too expensive for most but it is available.
Newmar Dutch Star DP towing Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#10 vermilye

vermilye

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Does anyone know what the story is for smart phones used in Canada? If I switch to the North American plan so the voice charges are manageable, is the data still a problem? If so, I guess I would have to turn off the phone's data connection so it doesn't use data just trying to do its basic things like downloading email.

Data is data, air card or smart phone & gets charged at the rates in my previous post. Even using the "Nationwide + Canada" plan you will have additional $.20/.25 for text messages unless you add them under the package. If you don't turn off roaming & data on your smart phone you will be in for a surprise!

Edited by Jon Vermilye, 09 February 2012 - 04:20 PM.

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

#11 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2366 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Data is data, air card or smart phone & gets charged at the rates in my previous post. Even using the "Nationwide + Canada" plan you will have additional $.20/.25 for text messages unless you add them under the package. If you don't turn off roaming & data on your smart phone you will be in for a surprise!

I just checked my phone and verified that the default setting is "Deny Data Roaming" and there are big on-screen warnings about the danger of changing this. The phone is a Samsung Droid Charge.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#12 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3393 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks everyone....that's the information I was looking for! Looks like we better plan on shutting the air card OFF and rely on local WIFI connections....darn!

Guess, we'll have to make a decision on the phone service...doesn't sound too costly.

Thanks again.....

Paul

As mentioned above you should not have issues with your DTV service in Canada. The DTV footprint actually goes quite a ways into Canada. Getting as far North as Jasper should not be an issue with the Trav'ler. You could possibly run into issues trying to get all 5 satellites and if so, take a look in your owners manual for instructions on setting the antenna to "Manual". With this option you can select the 101 satellite only and ensure that you will be able to get all of the DirecTV SD programming plus DNS.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#13 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

As mentioned above you should not have issues with your DTV service in Canada. The DTV footprint actually goes quite a ways into Canada. Getting as far North as Jasper should not be an issue with the Trav'ler. You could possibly run into issues trying to get all 5 satellites and if so, take a look in your owners manual for instructions on setting the antenna to "Manual". With this option you can select the 101 satellite only and ensure that you will be able to get all of the DirecTV SD programming plus DNS.

Thanks Bill....continued service after the sale....you installed my traveler at Quartzsite in 2010. :D

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

#14 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3393 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Always glad to help. My customers and not!
I know you are loving your Trav'ler, we have never sold anything as good as this thing!
Your "value added service" is that if you find you do need to change to a manual setting you can just give me a call and I will walk you through the routine.

Edited by Bill & Janet Adams, 09 February 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#15 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thanks Bill.....I'll give you a call if it's needed! :D

Paul

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

#16 hiljoball

hiljoball

• Validated Members
  • 368 posts
  • SKP#:66918

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

I am Canadian and live on Vancouver Island. I use a Verizon cell phone in Canada and it works fine. It costs about about 65 cents per minute for voice. I don't use either text or data. The main issue in western Canada is cell coverage. It is very mountainous and cell coverage can be spotty between towns and non-existent in more remote areas as the line of sight to the towers is blocked.

US Satellite TV should work fine up to Jasper, Edmonton and even further north. One issue will be that the sight line to the satelliite gets lower as you go north and mountains, buildings and trees can start to block the signal.

John
John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel
Summer in BC, Winter at Kofa Koop, Yuma

#17 Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

I am Canadian and live on Vancouver Island. I use a Verizon cell phone in Canada and it works fine. It costs about about 65 cents per minute for voice. I don't use either text or data. The main issue in western Canada is cell coverage. It is very mountainous and cell coverage can be spotty between towns and non-existent in more remote areas as the line of sight to the towers is blocked.

US Satellite TV should work fine up to Jasper, Edmonton and even further north. One issue will be that the sight line to the satelliite gets lower as you go north and mountains, buildings and trees can start to block the signal.

John

Gee John....I thought it was the weather all the Canadian Snowbirds here in south Texas were trying to escape from.... :) They must be heading south for the phone service, internet availability and TV signals.....LOL

Just joking....I'm sure we'll survive in the Canadian Rockies with or without phone and internet service. Just have to enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

#18 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3393 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

John

That could be true of DirecTV but unlikely to be the case with Dish Network based upon their footprints.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#19 Al Florida

Al Florida

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 918 posts
  • SKP#:86865

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

One thing to be aware of, unless something has changed, is once you change from one plan to another, you can't change back to your old plan if it is no longer offered. That is, when you subscribed to your current plan with X number of minutes and other features for a certain price, and if that plan is no longer offered you can't go back to it. You have to go with whatever plan is available now. The cell phone carriers frequently change what they offer for a price in their plans.

Also look out for prorating when you change plans. If you have racked up a large number of minutes or text messages or data in the first few days of your billing cycle and you change to a new plan they prorate your minutes. Example if you have 1000 minutes and you change plans when you are only in the first 20% of your billing cycle, you no longer have the full 1000 minutes, you now only have 200 minutes available. If you exceeded the 200 minutes, you get billed for the excess at the per minute rate.

If you are only going to be in Canada for a few weeks, check your current plan against what is now available to be sure you won't have to pay extra for what you are currently getting.

Al & Sharon
2005 Born Free 26RSB 4X4
No Toad
San Antonio, Tx

#20 MikeD

MikeD

• Validated Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

I have an old 8300 LG flip phone and live in va with unlimited talk and text with 4 phones on the plan= $100 a month for my phone and $9.99 each for other 3 phones.

Can I still use my phone in canada and alaska or should I get a pay as you go phone from walmart ?

Edited by MikeD, 11 February 2012 - 11:35 AM.