• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle

Eagle

• Validated Members
  • 34 posts
  • SKP#:19772

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

It's been so encouraging to read about other fulltimers working online on the road. My husband and I are back to fulltiming since last April (after 15 years off the road) I have been looking for a way to earn money and be free to travel where we want to. We are not retired and need to earn our living expenses. So I am taking the plunge and launching my own online business/website. I believe in my products and look forward to the oportunity to travel where-ever we want and still be able to do my business. Please let me know what you think of my website www.solarlightsaglow.com I am still putting the final touches on my web-page and would appreciate any feedback. Happy travels and good luck to all who work as the travel.
Eagle

#2 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17978 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Well, since you asked - the colors are harsh, not soothing. You should have more soothing color combinations. Some of your product pictures do not load on IE. Also the pictures on the right serve no purpose....

Edited by Jack Mayer, 29 January 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2012 New Horizons 42.5' Custom 5er (SOLD); New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#3 KU9L

KU9L

• Validated Members
  • 220 posts
  • SKP#:095866

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

If possible try to make your pages display mobile smart phone friendly. More and more potential customers only have mobile phones as their only source of Internet, certain graphics don't display well or at all on those smaller displays depending on the brand. The more folks that have a pleasant experience visiting your page, the more that may be customers now or in the future. If they see half the page missing, they won't even bookmark it.

Dave
David, Sheila, & Stella the Beagle
SKP#95866 - Full-timing since 2008
GPAA/LDMA and Colorado Prospectors Life Members, NRA Life Member
Amateur Ham callsigns: KU9L & KB9YYI, Life ARRL Members
'12 Lance 1181 truck camper "Redneck Motorhome"
'12 Ford F-350SD 4x4 DRW crew-cab "Sedona" w/Firestone airbags, Power Tank, PressurePro TPMS, Garmin GPS
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Red Rocks" w/Blue Ox tow-bar
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park seasonally in SW FL.

#4 harry bellerby

harry bellerby

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 862 posts
  • SKP#:41338

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Had trouble loading website.
c u on the road

airstream harry
2000 Land Yacht MH
2007 Saturn Ion

#5 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4536 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

White text against yellow is virtually invisible

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#6 Eagle

Eagle

• Validated Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Thank you all for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. As I indicated, my website is still a work in progress and I will take all your feedback into account as I continue to build and modify my site. Thank you again, and happy travels.
Eagle

#7 Eagle

Eagle

• Validated Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thank you all for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. As I indicated, my website is still a work in progress and I will take all your feedback into account as I continue to build and modify my site. Thank you again, and happy travels.
Eagle

Hi again fellow travellers and work-campers. I am pleased to say that my web-site is finally up and running, and I am ready to go. Check us out if you have time at www.solarlightsaglow.com Again, thanks for all the feedback, it really helped us to get our web-site looking the way it is and encouraged us to move forward. Good luck to all who are working on the road.
Eagle

#8 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20310 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

I still see far too much yellow. That yellow menu is very difficult to read and the print on it is too small.

Most of the pictures on the products page do not load for me either and I am using Firefox browser. I didn't try it with IE.

Clicking on the yellow menu items don't get any information at all, just a useless page.

Hope that this is helpful. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#9 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17978 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm using IE9. None of the pictures in the detailed product pages load. At least none of the 5 I tired.

I also don't like the yellow menu center. But the entire thing is an improvement over the initial one.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2012 New Horizons 42.5' Custom 5er (SOLD); New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#10 Jane and Paul

Jane and Paul

• Validated Members
  • 414 posts
  • SKP#:106687

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

I'm using an iMac and Safari. I had the same problems with the pictures loading that Jack had. I also think the yellow needs to be changed.
Paul

#11 Billieg

Billieg

• Validated Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'm using firefox and it works great. You need to place a table in the menu to add the links into so they line up and make the text bold black.
2007 F-350 dually/diesel & 2007 Sunnybrook 391' 5th wheel & custom built Harley. Pine Island Fl.

#12 firedoc

firedoc

• Validated Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Using IE9. Colors appear ok. However when I cllick on most of the list in the yellow box on the left I get an empty page which appears to be your direction set up page (how many per column, line, etc).
06 38L Bounder DP
08 Saturn Vue
Started FT 2011

#13 TxYellowRose

TxYellowRose

• Validated Members
  • 18 posts
  • SKP#:105785

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi again fellow travellers and work-campers. I am pleased to say that my web-site is finally up and running, and I am ready to go. Check us out if you have time at www.solarlightsaglow.com Again, thanks for all the feedback, it really helped us to get our web-site looking the way it is and encouraged us to move forward. Good luck to all who are working on the road.
Eagle

I have to agree that the text in the yellow menu on the left side is very difficult to read. Perhaps a different font would help.

When I clicked on the "See More" spots in the middle of the home page, some navigation appears at the top of that page; the link itself appears not to work.

I am using Google Chrome.

Good luck with your business!

#14 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4514 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'll add that I too, had a hard time with the yellow boxes on the left. The yellow is bright enough to make the links hard to read.

Just a quick click here and there seems to see most stuff working. The one thing that I was curious about was solar water pumps, and there don't appear to be any for sale.

As far as function, one thing that was noticable here (using IE8, didn't try any others) was when clicking through links, it appeared that the whole page had to reload rather than just the info I was asking for. I'm not sure if a different format would allow one to click through various links with only the pertinent info reloading, not the header and menus every time.

Just the initial thoughts I had here. It's been a long time since I've had my copy of FrontPage in action so there's a lot I forget...

Best of luck,

Brian