• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 David Jobes

David Jobes

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Pin Box

Edited by David Jobes, 18 May 2012 - 07:30 PM.

97' FL60 crew cab-CAT 3126B, 275hp/860ft.lbs. MD-3060
2012 Dutchmen Voltage 3905 KTM Hauler
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
01' F-350 4x4 7.3 6-speed manual, K&N intake, ATS compressor housing, Dieselsite manual waistgate actuator & boost fooler, EBV eliminated, open CC Vent, BullyDog 6-position tuner, 4" exhaust, autometer boost-pyro-HPOP guages
03 SAAB 9-3 Vector-160 mph red rocket
Remember My Murdered FDNY Brothers On 9/11

#2 missourijan

missourijan

• Validated Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

We towed for 5 1/2 years with just an extended pin box and now we have a Trail Aire. We really like it, it smooths out the rough highways for our 5'r. We know someone in AR who would trade with you, he really wants one.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

#3 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16488 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'm not a trailair fan but yours sounds like it may have some type of problem. I'd call the trailair folks and talk to one of their tech.

I'm much fonder of air hitches, the hinged lever and bag ones in particular.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#4 Jim2

Jim2

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 899 posts
  • SKP#:89477

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

By doing this...
"I prefer to run the airbag deflated..."

You were the cause of this...
"The kingpin and plate itís welded to, slide front to back approx 6 inches with NO DAMPENING. When I accelerate, the trailer slams back. When I hit the brakes, the trailer slams forward. While traveling down the road, the pin moves freely front to back which feels like the trailer is disconnecting from the hitch."

Otherwise you have some type of major defect, or incompatability issue with your hitch.

I have Trailair Pin Boxes on both my 5'ers and they work great with the airbag properly inflated. When its properly inflated for the load, it dampens the up/down movement; it doesnt generate up/down movement. But by taking all the air out of the bag, you removed the dampening.
Jim

#5 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4161 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

You have a problem. That is NOT proper operation of the trailair hitch. The hitch does NOT move freely back and forth, Sounds like the hitch is defective.
the trailair and the Mor Ryde hitch are both good products that do smooth out the ride.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#6 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4161 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

ooops

Edited by richfaa, 28 January 2012 - 08:30 PM.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#7 psaint

psaint

• Validated Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

You definitely have a problem. What you describe is not the way the hitch works. I have had the Trailair for 6 years now and do thousands of miles of very comfortable riding. It hitches and unhitches with no problems at all and does not operate as you posted.

I can think of several reasons why semi trucks don't use it : 1-It would be costly for one to handle 45,000 lb. loads. 2-The cab of the tractor is air ride so they don't feel the bouncing of the trailer. 3-Product on or in the trailer is protected so if the trailer bounces it doesn't matter. Just because trailer transporters don't use it means nothing. They make very little money and don't spend money on accessories that don't make them money. They have no concern because the trailers they haul don't have everything loaded as we do.

#8 Chief 2

Chief 2

• Validated Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

I have aTrail Aire pin box on my 5'r and have found it to be great. I keep the air bag inflated to the correct pressure and the camper just floats down the road. It also decreases the impact on the rear suspension of the truck. I towed our MS 18k plus miles back in 2010 and didn't have any issues with the hitch.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Dually, Edge Attitude Tuner, 4" Exhaust, Airraid Intake, Air Bags, Rancho Shocks, Hellwig Big Wig
2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2001 Bass Tracker 185

#9 David Jobes

David Jobes

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the input. Still haven't heard back from the manufacture. I think the airbag on the Trailair works against the air-ride suspension on my tow vehicle. The end result is the trailer bouncing. No air in the Trailair equals no bounce!
As for the king pin, I've found out this is a new model called the "TRI GLIDE TRAIL AIR". The king pin and base plate are NOT mounted solid to the pinbox. It actually hangs like a pendulum underneath. The king pin is designed to move fore & aft with no resistance. Don't know why...Guess it's just another gimmick?
Anyhow, I have found out that the manufacture of the Trailair (Lippert) has a whole bunch of accessories on my trailer that are not up to par. The snap pins that hold the foot pads to the jacks are bending. The spring loaded "set pins" that you pull to set the jack height are bending. The jacks themselves are flimsy. A couple of the slide-out motors have burned out already...Should I go on? How about the dealer told me not to use the slide outs when the temps are below 40 degrees??? Keep in mind I've never used the trailer yet! K, I've gotten off track...
As much as I'm still going to hound the manufacture about the Trailair, I bought a Reese king pin/pinbox that I plan to install tomorrow morning.

Edited by David Jobes, 17 February 2012 - 09:34 PM.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
01' F-350 4x4 7.3 6-speed manual, K&N intake, ATS compressor housing, Dieselsite manual waistgate actuator & boost fooler, EBV eliminated, open CC Vent, BullyDog 6-position tuner, 4" exhaust, autometer boost-pyro-HPOP guages

#10 Big Greg

Big Greg

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 663 posts
  • SKP#:96353

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

We have a Demco pin box and the plate with the king pin will easily slide forward and backward when disconnected. When connected the 5W weight on the king pin & hitch will not allow the assemly to slide as easily and the weight causes the forward & backward dampening when towing. The Demco works very well. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

#11 David Jobes

David Jobes

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Big Greg, thanks for mentioning Demco. I never heard of them before. I went to Demco's website and watched the video of their "Glide Ride". Though both units (Trailair & Demco) have the same idea in mind, the Demco appears to be a much better product then what I have. The Demco "self centers" after it moves, but the Trailair stays ether forward or back. This causes the unit to bang hard when it moves in the opposite direction. I wish they put a Demco on my unit...I probably wouldn't have any complaints. I installed the Reese Sidewinder, so we'll see how that goes. Thankz!
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R

#12 bilmorvn

bilmorvn

• Validated Members
  • 69 posts
  • SKP#:27411

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

When we originally got our 5W, had a FithAirborne hitchpin installed. I like it very much. One our first trip to the factory for repairs to the 5W, they replaced it with the Trialaire. didn't like it as much as the 5thAirbborne. Next trip to the factory, had Trailaire install their "gliding" jaw. Mine works (doesn't work) just like the OP says his does. We also have the Trailaire centerpoint suspension and air bags in the truck. Think there are times they work against each other. Right now one of the centerpoint airbags has a leak and I need to replace it. Would not recommend Trailaire to anyone.
Bill, Mo Rex & Princess
Fulltiming since 8/1993
06 Duramax 08 Cardinal 35
SKP 27411

#13 Sasha and Laura

Sasha and Laura

• Validated Members
  • 368 posts
  • SKP#:104915

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

We have the Mor Ryde King pin and an AirSafe 25K hitch

My link 1

My link 2

Great combo. Would not be without an airbag hitch.
Sasha and Laura
SKP# 104915
http://www.laura-n-sasha.com/

1999 Ford F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR,
PacBrake PBRX, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Combo

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

#14 Jim Wildman

Jim Wildman

• Validated Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

We love our Trailair. I've found that I can adjust it based on how much water, waste, etc I have in the trailer to get a better ride. It does 'slam' if you don't have the trailer brakes adjust right.
Jim Wildman
38' Grand Junction 5th wheel
3500 Dodge Ram
ESK#74081

#15 RWinslow

RWinslow

• Validated Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

The older TrailAirs are very sensitive to the air pressure in the pin box air spring, we have found that a 5 psi difference can make all the difference in the world on the trailer response, however once the sweet spot is located it is a very nice ride. Since this is a dynamic environment everybody's situation will be a bit different.

RV 5th wheels are much stiffer than a semi truck van trailer. Our trailers are not designed to flex in the walls and the floor - if they did everything would come apart or be on the floor. Semi-truck trailers do flex quite a bit as they go down the road - their walls are very thin and no heavy cabinets are hung from them - hence they do not need the air ride pin / hitch.

TrailAir was bought by Lippert last year. I purchased one of the last of the original Trailairs and it arrived without some of the key parts needed (bushings, etc.) I re-engineered a couple of the key stress points and put in my own bushings, etc - the unit works very well for us. Lippert customer service was horrible - and that is being very nice! The original TrailAirs can produce some fore and aft chucking motion in some situations - hence the sliding king pin plate. Morryde and Demco both have much better solutions than Trailairs latest idea, nowever they do not dampen out the up and down motion as well as an air ride hitch or the trailair type of king pin hitch.
97 Teton Royal / 97 FL 60

#16 rick.rutel

rick.rutel

• Validated Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

We have the same set up on our 41' KZ and love it. No problems at all.

#17 rick.rutel

rick.rutel

• Validated Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

We have the same set up on our 41' KZ and love it. No problems at all.