Home Depot Veterans Discount

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ropeshaft

Ropeshaft

• Validated Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

My wife bought a Moen kitchen faucet yesterday at Home Depot. I was not with her. She asked for the “military discount” since I am retired military and she has a dependent ID card. She said the clerk didn’t hesitate for a second, barely looked at her ID card and just like that took 10% off the amount owed. I know this veterans discount topic comes up often and usually ends with some places honor it, some don’t. I guess it always pays to ask. It put $20 back in my wife’s pocket.

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21101 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for posting this. At least in this area both Home Depot and Lowe's stored do give veterans and active duty military a 10% discount, although I have heard that some stores do not do that all of the time. It is important to know also that you must ask for the discount and the employee frequently asks for proof that you are a veteran. Our local store does ask for proof and they accept any military or VA issued ID, or any membership card from a veteran's organization.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 dontay

dontay

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 804 posts
  • SKP#:57801

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Both Home Depot and Lowes offer the discount in this area, too. (East central Florida) I use my VA card for I.D. It does hold up the line as they have to get a manager to do an override on the register. Every time a friend of mine does a project he goes to the P.O and gets a change of address booklet with the Lowes 10% discount card in it. I started doing that but found out about the vets discount so now I don't have to.

Edited by dontay, 22 January 2012 - 08:24 AM.

2006 Allegro Bay 34XB with Freightliner FRED chassis, 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4

#4 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4626 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

My experience has been that some of the Home Depot's give the discount, but all of the Lowes do. To make it more confusing, there have been instances when one clerk at a Home Depot will give me the discount, but another won't. With Lowes it is never an issue.
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#5 hdrider

hdrider

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 532 posts
  • SKP#:112999

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

My experience has been that some of the Home Depot's give the discount, but all of the Lowes do. To make it more confusing, there have been instances when one clerk at a Home Depot will give me the discount, but another won't. With Lowes it is never an issue.

I give vets a 10% discount at our locally owned home center. Just show your card and no questiones asked,, just a thanks for your service! Just saying,,, check with your locally owned stores also. Not only might you get the same discount but you might be keeping more of your money local.

Dave & Diane and Jack (our golden)
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

event.png

#6 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4310 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Don't even have a Id card since I was not career military but just a ordinary grunt. We have one of those American Legion pins on our baseball type cap that simply says veteran US Army and that is enough anywhere.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#7 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8640 posts
  • SKP#:50964

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

We had it explained here on another thread earlier by a person from Home Depot. It seems that the year round discount is for active and reserve military personnel, retired or disabled veterans and their spouses or dependent children, every day, upon request. And that is the policy that gets mixed up locally. All military personnel and veterans are eligible for a 10% discount at all The Home Depot store locations during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day. After we posted here the local Home depot that did not offer it to even retired for about a year after that new policy went into effect, except on those special days, they were instructed by HQ to put the policy into effect as written, and have never hesitated since. That was our understanding at the time.

Perhaps it would help if we knew their policy as of today exactly. So here they are for both Lowe's and HD.

For those who want the facts "from the horses mouth" as it were here is the official Home Depot policy for vet discounts from their HQ.
http://www.facebook....295752833772917
Of course YMMV, and corporate policies change too. :D

Lowe's gets even more specific:

Excerpt from their website:
"Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe's Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe's Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

• 1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
  • 2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
  • 3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)"
That is on the Lowe's corporate website here, just scroll to the bottom of the page:
http://www.lowes.com...ices+_745829091_

Thanks to all and to the corporations that help us out in gratitude for all our service.

Edited by RV, 22 January 2012 - 12:30 PM.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

#8 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4626 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Derek. It appears that one major difference is that Home Depot only gives the discount all year to veterans who are receiving VA benefits that are "Service Connected", whereas Lowe's gives it to anyone receiving VA benefits. I fall in the later category as I receive VA health care because I was exposed to Agent Orange, but that does not count as "service connected". I wonder if Home Depot realizes (or cares) that is why I don't shop there if a Lowe's is available?
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#9 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 856 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

...... Every time a friend of mine does a project he goes to the P.O and gets a change of address booklet with the Lowes 10% discount card in it. I started doing that but found out about the vets discount so now I don't have to.

You think that it's okay to scam for a discount? And wonder why we who have earned a discount loose it. Oh well, give a little and some find a way to take more than their share.

JMHO, YMMV and IYDLISW

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us 
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

#10 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8640 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

YW Rif!
Now I think most can see why some stores get it wrong and it is interpreted that they have a different policy by the veterans. The only difference between the two corporate policies is all or no disabled vets. But as far as the rest, it is pretty clear that those with an ID card have it all year long, and those who are not active, reserve, disabled and declared so by the VA, or retired, are not entitled except for the mentioned patriotic holidays. I have no idea if HD knows Rif, but I think the some do and some don't may be a result of that kind of efforts or just confusion on the store's part. The local Lowe's has denied me a vet discount for almost a year until recently, and HD was on again off again. I was fortunate enough to have stayed here at Barksdale for the balance of that war for me, '71 when I came in, and '75 when it was over. I have a lot of friends with that disability. I don't understand it not being service connected though. You did have to be in country for exposure right?

Edited by RV, 22 January 2012 - 04:24 PM.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

#11 Cyberdave

Cyberdave

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 856 posts
  • SKP#:105320

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Derek,

No, there are other locations such as the DMZ in Korea from 68-71, some bases and ships operating in the waters around and in Vietnam. Also, some bases in Thailand. I had a link to the VA listings but I cannot find it. Perhaps Brian has it?

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us 
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

#12 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8640 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Wow, I was at none of them so am not up on them. Thanks for the info Dave!But it is my understanding that service connected and Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) are two separate things. I was not in combat but was injured while assigned to San Antonio during peacetime thus service connected, but not CSRC for that neck injury. I am service connected on more than ten items but paid on three at this time, however the others are in my records with the VA as they existed but were not affecting me then as much as now. :)

Edited by RV, 22 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

#13 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4310 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

One can get a 10% discount veteran or not. It is a marketing tool to increase sales. Every year many resturants on veterans day offer free meals to everyone vets or not, No ID no anything just respond to the marketing add.The wife was never in any service branch and the local Golden Corral gave her a free meal anyhow.

We never ask for a veteran discount at Home depot but if I am wearing that American Legion pin on my hat every cashier will give it.
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#14 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21101 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

We were in Lowe's just yesterday to make a purchase and while waiting for a manager to OK the vet discount, I asked the employee about the change to manager approvals as that store used to allow any employee to give that discount. He said that the reason for that change was that the employees were giving the vet discount to everyone that they knew, and particularly to family and friends. That store manager made the decision that such use was not a real discount and would force prices up if allowed to continue and so made it managers only. Most of the managers also want a look at your vet ID as well there now, but they do accept most anything that so indicates.

As to the free meals for veterans, we usually do take advantage of that but we also at least offer to pay for Pam and any non-vet who is with us, whether they ask for proof or not. Just a matter of personal ethics, I suppose.

dolphins.jpg

#15 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6046 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

As to the free meals for veterans, we usually do take advantage of that but we also at least offer to pay for Pam and any non-vet who is with us, whether they ask for proof or not. Just a matter of personal ethics, I suppose.

In 2011 we couldn't get into the Applebee's that provides the free meal only to a vet with proper paperwork so we went on down the road to Perkins which gave both of us a free meal without any paperwork even though we told them I never served. I was surprised but grateful. It felt like they were acknowledging all those years I spent as a military wife doing what needed to be done to support my soldier.

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#16 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 8640 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

Amen Linda! You and my SH are the reasons Dave and me were able to git r done! I don't see a thing wrong with accepting a gift when you told them up front and they said go ahead anyway. Thanks to you spousal units too! Only the military wife with a lot of moves under her belt knows, as do we. ;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

#17 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21101 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

I was surprised but grateful. It felt like they were acknowledging all those years I spent as a military wife doing what needed to be done to support my soldier.

I would agree that those places are special. We were in Branson once for Vet week and quite a few places there give discounts to spouses as well as veterans. For most of us, the price comes from the same budget so we just look at those that say Vet only as a two for one kind of deal. Not only do I not usually go out to eat without Pam, I don't think that it would be the smartest move that I ever made if I chose to do so! :mellow:

dolphins.jpg

#18 Mike & Patty

Mike & Patty

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 568 posts
  • SKP#:99967

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

I've been using the Home Depot discount getting the rental and this ready for renters and sale, it has put a lot of money back in my pocket. Yes I have to ask for the discount but I'm not in the least bit bashful in using it.

Mike
x];-}

SKP# 99967
FMCA 409720
US Army retired
DoD Civilian retired
http://greenbeavertr...s.blogspot.com/
2000 Beaver Contessa...2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara...2013 BRP CanAm Spyder RTS Limited

s-event.png

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

#19 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21101 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

I use the Lowe's military discount the most, primarily because they are the closest to me but Home Depot would be #2 for me. As much as I appreciate a free meal once each year, these two stores save us hundreds of dollars per year. And when I start a couple of construction projects that I have in mind, then it will run to a whole lot more than that!

dolphins.jpg

#20 sir vayor

sir vayor

• Validated Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

My experience has been that Home Depot only gives the 10% to match Lowe's. So, if I have a choice, I go to Lowe's. I did like the post in here to consider smaller stores who might be just as willing to give the discount.

I had one experience at Home Depot, which was interesting. I was considering a sizable purchase and asked a clerk if that store gave a Veteran discount. She was quite standoffish and said, "yeah, we will if we HAVE to." I asked another clerk if the manager was around and he pointed him out a few aisles away. I mentioned to the manager what the clerk had said and told him I didn't wish to receive a discount if it created a hardship on the store. The manager was deeply apologetic and said he was very appreciative of Veteran service and that although he, personally, had not served, he had many family members who were Veterans. At any rate, the store has been really, really great about it since, the times I have visited, and when I show my Veteran card it is a quick thank you! I haven't seen the rude clerk on my follow-up visits. I don't know if she no longer has a job, but if not, hopefully she learned something.

I agree with the poster who said he is not apologetic about asking for the discount.
2000 New Horizons 5th wheel
Western Wilderness Truck Camper
My Blog