7 replies to this topic

#1 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5873 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I've always been under the impression that the amount of the Medicare Part B premium that is deducted from a Social Security check is the same for everyone.

However, today we received our Form SSA-1099's and the amount my husband had taken from his Social Security check for the year was $226.80 LESS than was taken out of my checks! My husband has been having the Medicare Part B deducted from his SS check since 2004 while mine started last year (in January, so my Medicare Part B premium shown on the SSA-1099 would reflect a full 12 months).

What would account for the difference?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#2 mrfrank

mrfrank

• Validated Members
  • 241 posts
  • SKP#:97992

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I've always been under the impression that the amount of the Medicare Part B premium that is deducted from a Social Security check is the same for everyone.

However, today we received our Form SSA-1099's and the amount my husband had taken from his Social Security check for the year was $226.80 LESS than was taken out of my checks! My husband has been having the Medicare Part B deducted from his SS check since 2004 while mine started last year (in January, so my Medicare Part B premium shown on the SSA-1099 would reflect a full 12 months).

What would account for the difference?

The later you started on Medicare, the higher the premium. Last year my premium was S96.40, DW's was $110. She is several years younger than I am. The premiums have been that way for several years. This year they are both $99.90. I think that that change is a part of the new healthcare legislation! Anyhow, our total outlay for Medicare went down this year, not up! :P

Edited by mrfrank, 20 January 2012 - 05:26 PM.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Fulltiming in a
2008 Phaeton 40 QSH pulling a
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad with
Allie - Beagle and
Rascal - Beagle

"Not all who wander are lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#3 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20306 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Where the difference developed was when Congress blocked the scheduled increase in Medicare premiums for the two years that there was no increase in SS, the action did not block the increase for those just entering the system, only for those already drawing from it. Thus there is now a two tier premium cost and so you do pay more than he.

I believe that this year does adjust everyone back to the same premium, but that was in no way a part of the latest health care bill or program but rather a specific act from Congress in response to seniors who protested when the Medicare premiums were to increase while SS did not.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#4 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7251 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

It wasn't something new, that has been the law for a long time, Medicare increase CAN NOT be greater than the SS COLA. However, those who start receiving can have a higher premium based upon what the rate should be, or for a few with higher incomes, will pay a surcharge, so to speak.Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#5 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20306 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

It wasn't something new, that has been the law for a long time, Medicare increase CAN NOT be greater than the SS COLA. However, those who start receiving can have a higher premium based upon what the rate should be, or for a few with higher incomes, will pay a surcharge, so to speak.Barb

How about a link to that law if it has existed for a long time? I take two Congressional Newsletters and back when the SS was declared to get no COLA there was a great deal of political unrest resulted in action in Congress, or at least my newsletters claimed that it did. The following quote comes from a newsletter that was dated Nov. 1, 2009. :huh:

The Social Security Administration announced on October 15, 2009, that there will be no Social
Security cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) in 2010. Current projections indicate that there will be
no COLA in 2011, either. Over the same period, total Medicare Part B program costs are expected
to increase. Part B premiums, which are automatically deducted from Social Security checks,
must cover 25% of projected Part B costs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#6 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7251 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

Section 1839(f) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395r). The hold harmless provision was first implemented in January 1987.

For a good overview of what happen in 2009 click here to read about the problem that was outlined in this US House Representative document, that fact that there were three groups that would not be held harmless:

Persons who would not be held harmless include lower-income beneficiaries whose premiums are paid by Medicaid, higher-income beneficiaries who pay income-related Part B premiums, and new enrollees.

The legislation that was done in 2009 I believe revolved around the low income folks whose premiums are paid by Medicaid. I know that because I started Medicare ATFER this point, I paid higher premiums than David did for 2 years (new enrollees) and I believe the increase was passed along to higher-income related people.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#7 Guest_janesmith_*

Guest_janesmith_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

The elderly are one of the demographics hit the hardest by the recession and the ensuing downturn. But things might be getting a whole lot worse for them still. As campaigning political figures promise to cut government benefit programs, a new study shows that many of the country's elderly could not survive without them. The study breaks down which states have the largest gap between elderly income, if benefits were removed from the equation, and the basic expenditures of living. Source for this article: The worst states for the elderly.

#8 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2366 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

reported

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin