• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Neal and Bernice

Neal and Bernice

• Validated Members
  • 268 posts
  • SKP#:105972

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

In a month or so we're leaving the Rio Grande Valley to head West and North to Vancouver, B.C. I would like to go from Phoenix, to Las Vegas, through Death Valley, to Bakersfield and N. on I5. From the comments I read on here about California and overlength I decided to ask for advice. We are a little over 65' (around 68) and I don't want to tangle with DOT or CHIP. Travelling further N before going West puts me on the wrong side of some high places that can be very cold with lots of snow in March. That, of course, leads to all kinds of stuff we don't want to deal with.
Any thoughts you can share will be appreciated.
Neal

2001 FL Columbia (Still Tandem) with Trailer Saver Air Hitch
"Squirt" our 2008 Smart Fortwo
2010 WestPointe
http://neal-berniese...e.blogspot.com/

#2 Tom Lang

Tom Lang

• Validated Members
  • 157 posts
  • SKP#:16663

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

In a month or so we're leaving the Rio Grande Valley to head West and North to Vancouver, B.C. I would like to go from Phoenix, to Las Vegas, through Death Valley, to Bakersfield and N. on I5. From the comments I read on here about California and overlength I decided to ask for advice. We are a little over 65' (around 68) and I don't want to tangle with DOT or CHIP. Travelling further N before going West puts me on the wrong side of some high places that can be very cold with lots of snow in March. That, of course, leads to all kinds of stuff we don't want to deal with.
Any thoughts you can share will be appreciated.
Neal

I believe there to be no flexibility in the California law, 65' is the limit. However, you are not likely to run into an officer of the law using his tape measure on you unless he has a real good reason.
SKP# 16663
RVing since 1984, with a 1972 Revcon, a 1988 Winnebago, and now a 2003 Foretravel U295 M3810
Tom (KC6UEC) is a retired electronics engineer
Lynne (KD6HQY) is a retired elementary teacher
We are active members of the Pasadena Elks Lodge #672 and Rambling Roses RV club

#3 HamRad

HamRad

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1699 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Neal and Bernice,
Do you have a route planned from DV into Bakersfield? If you plan to take 178 I'd suggest another route. You'd probably be better off taking the 14 south to route 58 and then west into Bakersfield. Just a suggestion. Happy Trails, Dennis
Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

#4 Neal and Bernice

Neal and Bernice

• Validated Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Neal and Bernice,
Do you have a route planned from DV into Bakersfield? If you plan to take 178 I'd suggest another route. You'd probably be better off taking the 14 south to route 58 and then west into Bakersfield. Just a suggestion. Happy Trails, Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the heads up, I was planning to go that way. Is it to rough, too high, too many curves?
Thanks
Neal
2010 WestPointe

#5 Walkerl

Walkerl

• Validated Members
  • 337 posts
  • SKP#:81300

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Last month we took Hwy 58 through Bakersfield and then Hwy 99 up to Madera to visit the Escapees' Park of the Sierra. We also are just about 67' and carry a Smart which is overwidth. We passed several scales and seemed to raise no interest.

I tend to agree with Tom. The many CHP I have known (a few years ago) didn't even carry a tape measure unless they worked commercial or accident reconstruction. The commercial boys stayed busy with the trucks and didn't bother much else. Absent some other reason, I doubt they will bother you but YMMV.

Your route will miss I40 west of Needles - that's good because it is ROUGH!

Walkerl
Walker & Evelyn
2009 Volvo 780 I-Shift; 2011 38LK HitchHiker; 2011 Smart

#6 HamRad

HamRad

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1699 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Neal,
Taking 178 from the east side is OK into Lake Isabella. Then there is actually a good freeway about a third of the way down the hill. The road turns into a twisty narrow two lane road. Eighteen wheelers make the trip but it is something I would avoid. Especially since there is a good alternative. With your long rig it is simply easier to go down toward Mojave and then up to Tehachapi and down the hill into Bakersfield.

From Bakersfield take the 99 north to Hwy 46. You could take either Stockdale Ave. or Hwy 58 west to I-5 but traffic is heavy on both these roads and there are a number of signal lights. The crossover between 99 to I-5 is an easy transit. There a couple of signals in Wasco but that is the only area where you'll have to slow down. At Lost Hills you hit I-5 and the rest is history! <G> If you need or would like additional info about the Bakersfield area just let me know. Have a great trip. We will be taking this same trip (well almost) in a few months. We usually try to visit Northern CA and the Oregon area each year. But also our daughter and family will be moving to the Seattle area soon. That means to get our "fix" for our grand kids we'll be dragging our rig up that same route! Happy Trails, Dennis.

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

#7 Neal and Bernice

Neal and Bernice

• Validated Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

Last month we took Hwy 58 through Bakersfield and then Hwy 99 up to Madera to visit the Escapees' Park of the Sierra. We also are just about 67' and carry a Smart which is overwidth. We passed several scales and seemed to raise no interest.

I tend to agree with Tom. The many CHP I have known (a few years ago) didn't even carry a tape measure unless they worked commercial or accident reconstruction. The commercial boys stayed busy with the trucks and didn't bother much else. Absent some other reason, I doubt they will bother you but YMMV.

Your route will miss I40 west of Needles - that's good because it is ROUGH!

Walkerl

Thanks Walker,
This post really helps. I think we're going to give California a try.
Neal
2010 WestPointe

#8 Neal and Bernice

Neal and Bernice

• Validated Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

Neal,
Taking 178 from the east side is OK into Lake Isabella. Then there is actually a good freeway about a third of the way down the hill. The road turns into a twisty narrow two lane road. Eighteen wheelers make the trip but it is something I would avoid. Especially since there is a good alternative. With your long rig it is simply easier to go down toward Mojave and then up to Tehachapi and down the hill into Bakersfield.

From Bakersfield take the 99 north to Hwy 46. You could take either Stockdale Ave. or Hwy 58 west to I-5 but traffic is heavy on both these roads and there are a number of signal lights. The crossover between 99 to I-5 is an easy transit. There a couple of signals in Wasco but that is the only area where you'll have to slow down. At Lost Hills you hit I-5 and the rest is history! <G> If you need or would like additional info about the Bakersfield area just let me know. Have a great trip. We will be taking this same trip (well almost) in a few months. We usually try to visit Northern CA and the Oregon area each year. But also our daughter and family will be moving to the Seattle area soon. That means to get our "fix" for our grand kids we'll be dragging our rig up that same route! Happy Trails, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis.
I had a good look at our atlas and see what you're talking about. I will go South to 58, I was trying to avoid those two scales. Thanks for the info on getting over to I-5
Thanks again
Neal
2010 WestPointe

#9 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2769 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I do not recommend taking SR190 west out of Death Valley unless you like going down a 9-1/2 to 10% grade for 6 miles. I recommend working your way to SR127 south to I-15 west and then SR58 west.
Newmar Dutch Star DP towing Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#10 HamRad

HamRad

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1699 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Neal and Bernice,
As Bill indicated you may want to exit south as he suggests. I've taken every road in and out of DV and each has its own characteristics. I would not hesitate to take my rig over the western route but I'm not as long as you are. Going south to I-15 is an interesting route with relatively easy grades and easy curves. According to my mapping you'd end up going about an extra 50 miles or so via the southern route. Whichever direction you end up taking you should have an interesting ride. Take your time and enjoy it. Happy Trails, Dennis

#11 Jim n Sue

Jim n Sue

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1082 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Neal,

Dennis my last trip on I-5 North I cut across at Bakersfield and the traffic was terrible from Stockton on.plus I-5 gives real meaning to the definition ROUGH.. I am going to try Hwy 99 all the way to Sacramento this Spring when I leave Quarts, It cant possibly be any rougher can it ??
Actually if I didnt have to climb to 8000' I would take 395 North anything to keep out or off of Calif roads. Maybe I could get my kids to relocate.? After all It's their inheritance I spend when I need a fix.lolPosted Image
Jim Spence
2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB
BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans
34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

#12 KayC

KayC

• Validated Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Definately would be watchful in the DV area. We made the mistake of going over that 9+% grade. WHAT A DRIVE! Stinking brakes white knuckles and colorful language!!! :unsure:

Coming in through the 15 off the 127, if I am not mistaken, will land you right in the lap of the State inspection station right around YERMO. CHP is there and watchful of people coming into the state. :huh:

You can go 127 and CONTINUE on Kelbaker road once you get into Baker, (A little windy, but I took a 40 ft DP through it several times) and then take I-40 into Barstow, dog leg the 15S to the 58W across, through Kramer Jct, and into Baker. Or, instead of taking 58, you can coninue down the 15 to Lenwood Road, where there is a TA, Flying J and Pilot to fuel up, then take Lenwood road West and it will also connect to the 58. The roads used to be really well marked. I haven't been down it in about 8 months or so, but all ~was~ well back then... :)

#13 HamRad

HamRad

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1699 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Jim,
We travel several times a year from Bakersfield to the Bay area and or on into OR. The I-5 only has a couple of places where it is really rough. They've actually done a pretty good job of fixing it. Of course the underpass issue is still with us. Very rough going!

This past year we took 99 up to Stockton and the road surface is in pretty good condition. No terrible places that I can recall. What I do remember very clearly is the heavy traffic and fighting all the traffic at the many on ramps! So on our return trip we took the 5 and I was a much happier camper.

Give it a try and let us know what your experience is.

I love 395. One of the reasons is because there is usually little traffic. And I do love to see the Sierras from the east side. They are so dramatic! Later, Dennis

#14 Mastercraft

Mastercraft

• Validated Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

Greetings - Hope all goes well in Ca with your travels. As far as total length goes, the attached part of the Cal Vehicle Code section 35400(a) seems to imply our HDT/RVs can be 75' if the fifth wheel hitch is at least 5' behind the drive axle. (section 35401.3.)
What do you think?

http://www.leginfo.c...35414#CVC 35400
2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36
Thermo King Tripac APU
DIY Bed and Frame Extension
ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K
2012 Mini Cooper S
2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

#15 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Greetings - Hope all goes well in Ca with your travels. As far as total length goes, the attached part of the Cal Vehicle Code section 35400(a) seems to imply our HDT/RVs can be 75' if the fifth wheel hitch is at least 5' behind the drive axle. (section 35401.3.)
What do you think?

http://www.leginfo.c...35414#CVC 35400

That applies to trailers carrying trailers and campers as cargo, not when towing. Like for delivery to dealers.

68 feet probably won't get you stopped, but max is 65 feet.

As an RV you do NOT go thru the scales in CA.

Background - 33 years with CHP, including two as commercial sergeant.

You DO NOT want to take 178. Go down to 58. Kelbaker Road is dirt.

#16 Neal and Bernice

Neal and Bernice

• Validated Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

That applies to trailers carrying trailers and campers as cargo, not when towing. Like for delivery to dealers.

Hi Doug
Thank you for taking time to respond, I appeciate the information. Especially the part about not stopping at scales.
Neal
2010 WestPointe

#17 waterlover63

waterlover63

• Validated Members
  • 7 posts
  • SKP#:109555

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but... I'm considering pulling my 27 foot travel trailer from Sacramento to Death Valley on Feb 17-20. This is the route that I've mapped: Sac to DV

Any comments or concerns?

Also - I pulled from Oklahoma to Sacramento over the first of the year. I took 99 from Bakersfield to Sac and had no problems other than a flat tire.

Kathy

Edited by waterlover63, 08 February 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#18 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

<br />Sorry to hijack this thread, but... I'm considering pulling my 27 foot travel trailer from Sacramento to Death Valley on Feb 17-20.  This is the route that I've mapped:  <a href='http://maps.google.c...IdbcII-SGWYKKgfSjYkA&#38;oq=de' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Sac to DV</a><br /><br />Any comments or concerns?<br /><br />Also - I pulled from Oklahoma to Sacramento over the first of the year.  I took 99 from Bakersfield to Sac and had no problems other than a flat tire.<br /><br />Kathy<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Rt 2 is a beautiful drive IF the weather is good. There is a long grade down into Panamint Valley on 190 and a long, steep pull out of Panamint. Just gear down and turn your a/c off. Watch the downgrade from the summit going down into Death Valley. Very deceptive but you go from almost 5,000 feet to just above sea level in about 15 miles in a straight shot. Gas up in Lone Pine. From there it's 106 miles to Furnace Creek. DVNP is gorgeous in winter.

#19 Barncats

Barncats

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

Doug
Welcome to the forums.
Please come and join us over on the HDT forum from time to time.
With your background and knowledge, it would be much appreciated to have you join in on some topics and sometimes misconceptions about HDT's travelling in CA.

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber
71e23357-ed11-4a51-aa6d-65e10c8253b1_zps

#20 HamRad

HamRad

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1699 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but... I'm considering pulling my 27 foot travel trailer from Sacramento to Death Valley on Feb 17-20. This is the route that I've mapped: Sac to DV

Any comments or concerns?

Also - I pulled from Oklahoma to Sacramento over the first of the year. I took 99 from Bakersfield to Sac and had no problems other than a flat tire.

Kathy

Kathy,
Your best route from the Sacto area is to head east to Reno and catch the 395 south. But applies only if there is no snow or a blizzard blowing. It is your most direct route to DV. But weather is your enemy when it comes to taking this route. You usually only have to worry about a major snow event until you are as far south as Bishop. So if there are storms hitting the Sierras it is best to take the CV route to Bakersfield and then head east on 58 and backtrack on 14 and then 395. Then take hwy 190 at Olancha.

By the way there is a restaurant in Olancha...... It is full of history. So watch your step! <G> Just kidding In spite of how it looks we've aways had decent food. And it is a good easy place to park our rigs.

I, also, would recommend NOT taking the 178 up thru the Kern Canyon. It is doable but the first half of the route is fairly twisty and windy. 18 wheelers do it all the time but on some corners they take up almost all the road. And you don't / won't save much time.

Just take the 58 east. Stop in Tehachapi at Apple Annies for lunch or dinner. It is located on Main street sort of the east side of the town. You will need to park on the street (which is not usually a problem) because the parking lot is for autos only and has no places for big rigs.

If you end up coming thru Bakersfield and need any info on parks or restaurants etc.. Just drop me a note and I'll try to answer your questions. Have a great trip. Dennis