• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

There is no standardization for Resveratrol though there are many claims as to its efficacy. I believe it can be a good thing but when looking at all the brands and prices it is confusing. Does anyone here take Resveratrol? If so what brand and what dosage?

Here are a couple I have come across on the Internet, the prices vary wildly:

Biotivia - Transmax Resveratrol 500 Mg, 500 mg, 60 capsules

Nature's Bounty Red Wine Complex 500 Mg, 60 Capsules

3 Pack-Resveratrol Gold 1250 - Maximum Potency 1250 Mg

#2 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2762 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

The resveratrol brands I think are the best are Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. :lol:

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#3 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

The resveratrol brands I think are the best are Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. :lol:

I Love It!

#4 Jaccob28

Jaccob28

• All Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

Resveratrol is a potent antioxidant that isfound in the skin of certain plants such as red grapes, raspberries,mulberries, blueberries, cranberries and red wine.
Resveratrol canalso be found in peanuts, certain pine trees and knotweed. It has numeroushealth benefits, promotes a healthy longer life to consumers, and is free fromunwanted side effects.Resveratrol may help prevent free radical damage over thehuman body and provide better support to the blood vessels caused particularlyby elevated levels of blood glucose. High levels of glucose in the blood mayexperience cellular damage and develop retinopathy, kidney disease, and heartdisease.

#5 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

I learned about resvertrol from the Dr. Oz show. He presents health issues in language the layman can use. I especially like the philosophy of nutrition & exercise as well as knowing your own body before pursuing RX. Especially with the recent headlines of drug shortages as well as the resistance to many due to over use. A MD in the 60's was ahead of his time when he told me free and easy access to medical care is not a panacea people think, they will become less proactive with their own care and the over use of RX' will create tolerances to RX's ie antibiotics making it harder to treat patients. My philosophy is to take care of me and my family the best I can as long as I can so when RX's are needed they will work.

I couldn't drink enough wine to get the benefits so I have been taking resvertrol for a couple of years but as with everything the cost goes up. I was wondering what brands and formula others may take that may be just as effective but less expensive?

#6 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4626 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

Some might suggest that there could be some of the same nutrients in grapes and grape juice, depending upon where they come from. The red and purple ones are the ones that have the most of what you're looking for. The good stuff is more concentrated in the skin and the seeds (as well as stems and leaves, but I doubt you'd be consuming those) and eating the grapes also gives some dietary fiber.

The hard part would probably be finding good quality grapes.

:)

Brian

#7 Don & Brooksy

Don & Brooksy

• Validated Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

http://www.swansonvi...=Level1&x=0&y=0

#8 Good Ol Dan

Good Ol Dan

• Validated Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I buy the Resveratrol / Grape Seed Extract at Costo. After reding some and talking with my cardiologist, I take 4 of these a day (60 mg of resveratrol total each day, plus all of the grape goodies). I'm convinced that this really helping in keeping my V Tach quiet so my ICD doesn't have to intervene.

Dan

#9 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

I just started subscribing to the Alternative Medicine BOF http://www.escapees....ne/Default.aspx

"Newsletter is not limited only to herbs, vitamins, dietary ideas, natural healing and attaining and maintaining our health. All sorts of interesting things pop up. Take what you want, leave what you want, but always become better educated and try to be aware of what the other side is thinking. Special arrangements could be made for printed copies. Please send your email address to me at rotorns AT aol DOT com. Please include BOF or Escapees in the subject line."

it is an electronic newsletter (great for those using a mail service) and appreciate the holistic approach to medicine. The MD's have their place but many people have come to rely solely on them without doing their research. Carol is in the process of creating an online archive of her past newsletters for those that are interested.

#10 PETE & PAT

PETE & PAT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Just remember - those grapes are on the No list for anyone who has had kidney stones. I was surprised to find them listed after my DH had his. His big offender though was peanuts. He ate a few every night.

Pat DeJong

#11 JM

JM

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Just remember - those grapes are on the No list for anyone who has had kidney stones. I was surprised to find them listed after my DH had his. His big offender though was peanuts. He ate a few every night.

Causes
By Mayo Clinic staff
http://www.mayoclini...DSECTION=causes

Kidney stones often have no definite, single cause, although several factors may increase your risk.

Kidney stones form when your urine contains more crystal-forming substances such as calcium, oxalate and uric acid than the fluid in your urine can dilute. At the same time, your urine may lack substances that keep crystals from sticking together, creating an ideal environment for kidney stones to form.

Types of kidney stones
Knowing the type of kidney stone helps determine the cause and may give clues on how to reduce your risk of getting more kidney stones. Types of kidney stones include:

Calcium stones. Most kidney stones are calcium stones, usually in the form of calcium oxalate. Oxalate is a naturally occurring substance found in food. Some fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts and chocolate, have high oxalate levels. Your liver also produces oxalate. Dietary factors, high doses of vitamin D, intestinal bypass surgery and several metabolic disorders can increase the concentration of calcium or oxalate in urine. Calcium stones may also occur in the form of calcium phosphate.
Struvite stones. Struvite stones form in response to an infection, such as a urinary tract infection. These stones can grow quickly and become quite large, sometimes with few symptoms or little warning.
Uric acid stones. Uric acid stones can form in people who don't drink enough fluids or who lose too much fluid, those who eat a high-protein diet, and those who have gout. Certain genetic factors also may increase your risk of uric acid stones.
Cystine stones. These stones form in people with a hereditary disorder that causes the kidneys to excrete too much of certain amino acids (cystinuria).
Other stones. Other, rarer types of kidney stones can occur.

Click here for: Foods Not to Eat With Kidney Stones

#12 TrapperBob

TrapperBob

• Validated Members
  • 6 posts
  • SKP#:118457

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have been taking it for a couple of years after reading about it. Buy it at Walgreens when it is on sale 2 for 1. I take the 500mg size once a day.

With a little help it will delay my parting. Posted Image
Every day you wake up is a good day!!!!