14 replies to this topic

#1 Dave W

Dave W

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 946 posts
  • SKP#:56442

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

I saw this mentioned on the Gypsy Journal a while back, but never heard of anyone, other than Nick, having or using one. Anyone ?
Dave W. KE5GOH
Stuck in the 70's ---
In E. Texas

#2 Barb and Alex

Barb and Alex

• Validated Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

Now I'm curious, what is an eyelog?
Adventures Unlimited - Adventure is the pursuit of life!
2012 24' Freedom Elite Class C named FREEDA (FREE Days Ahead)
Towing a 2004 Toyota Tacoma

Follow our adventures on Facebook by "Liking" our page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adventures-Unlimited/201899289873608

#3 MidMi

MidMi

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 569 posts
  • SKP#:107324

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

Security Camera

Arizona for a spell.

1995 HR Endeavor LE, 36' 460 Ford with Banks Systems
2005 PT Cruiser, 5-speed, ragtop

#4 bockofma

bockofma

• Validated Members
  • 49 posts
  • SKP#:114769

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

Good morning.

An interesting explanation.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hIemm8QGKuM

Regards,

Michael in Houston

#5 Barb and Alex

Barb and Alex

• Validated Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the links. I had never heard of those before (we don't watch TV so we tend to be behind the curve on new technology). That being said, my hubby loves gagets so I suspect we'll own one by the end of the month. :lol:

#6 Dave W

Dave W

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

It was positively mentioned in Gypsy Journal around last Christmas, but I have heard of no one actually using one, and was just wondering if they were living up to the report, or if it was another good idea flash product. I have bought SEVERAL items to find that they were not really as great as originally touted, and find out that I have one of only ten that were ever produced.

Edited by Dave W, 08 September 2011 - 08:16 AM.

Dave W. KE5GOH
Stuck in the 70's ---
In E. Texas

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20309 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

It is an interesting concept. I suspect that they are still not really needed in most RV parks but could be protection to some degree if you park in bad areas.

My question is, assuming that you get the call to let you know that your RV or home is being broken into, now what? Do you get your gun and hurry to stop them? Call the cops and hope that someone gets there in time to do something? A police officer friend told me that only rarely does a monitor system proved any real protection as those who burglarize usually are long gone before anyone arrives to do much. He considered a loud local alarm that is unique to be the best security for a house and an engine disable system for a car.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#8 Barb and Alex

Barb and Alex

• Validated Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

My question is, assuming that you get the call to let you know that your RV or home is being broken into, now what? .

We had someone attempt to steal our vehicles parked in our driveway one night so we decided to buy an infrared driveway alarm to warn us when someone drives up our long driveway. About a week after it was install it went off in the middle of the night and we looked at each other and said exactly that..."now what?". Since we were home we decided we'd walk around in the house and turn on various lights to let everyone know we were home. It very well could have been a deer or large animal setting it off though.

I think this product would be great to use at our Park Model in a RV Resort. Since most owners are weekenders any breakins have usually occured during the week and in the fall after the end of the season. I figure it could be advance warning to see if anyone looks like they are casing the place. We do have an audio alarm that is triggered by a motion sensor if anyone actually breakins and triggers it.

#9 RayIN

RayIN

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4094 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

It is an interesting concept. I suspect that they are still not really needed in most RV parks but could be protection to some degree if you park in bad areas.

My question is, assuming that you get the call to let you know that your RV or home is being broken into, now what? Do you get your gun and hurry to stop them? Call the cops and hope that someone gets there in time to do something? A police officer friend told me that only rarely does a monitor system proved any real protection as those who burglarize usually are long gone before anyone arrives to do much. He considered a loud local alarm that is unique to be the best security for a house and an engine disable system for a car.

Exactly. The county we live in has two deputies on duty at any given time because of budget constraints. If those two deputies are in the other end of the county it takes 40 minutes at high speed to reach our house.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40JD,Spartan MM chassis, Cummins ISC 350;   GS life member

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

#10 Dave W

Dave W

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

RayIn, for similar coverage I pay $5000 in property tax - reason enough to rid myself of the S&B!

I do have neighbors who would not hesitate to utilize again the GREAT Texas Castle Doctrine - many folks down here remember Joe Horn. So, a little call may end a bad career, or at least help identify the perpetrator.
Dave W. KE5GOH
Stuck in the 70's ---
In E. Texas

#11 kb0zke

kb0zke

• Validated Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

As teachers, we've had our share of nocturnal visitors with fireworks, noisy cars, etc. We tried a video system (not enough light), a motion-sensing light (cats turn it on), and finally a motion-sensing device that is mounted at the end of the driveway with a receiver in the house. Whenever someone drives in, we hear a doorbell. Yes, our "yard deer" set if off once in a while, but that's a small price to pay for no nocturnal visits since it was installed.

We've talked about taking it along when we finally retire and go FT, and it would certainly be easy enough to do, but I'm wondering what use it would be. I doubt that we will be parked w-a-a-a-y out in the boonies, and even if we were, we'd check first to make sure that such a campsite is really safe (no camping in the "disputed" border area for us). Also, the motion sensor has a pretty long range, so it would likely pick up other campers in a campground, and it would only cover one side of the RV anyway.
David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

#12 Dave W

Dave W

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

For a driveway alarm I would use a magnetic sensor, of course it would only pick up masses of metal, but it wouldn't give false alarms caused by deer & cats.

What I would like is a door bell type camera on the 5th wheel, so we could see who/what was at the door without opening it. I would also like to be able to see "out front" (maybe a backup camera mounted on the front cap ?
Dave W. KE5GOH
Stuck in the 70's ---
In E. Texas

#13 MaverickBBD

MaverickBBD

• Validated Members
  • 143 posts
  • SKP#:110004

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

You know they got robbed and were pretty upset about it. The person was still there when they returned. The experience may have dictated a need for more "security".

#14 RV_Daydreamer

RV_Daydreamer

• Validated Members
  • 16 posts
  • SKP#:107079

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

I have to wonder how this eyeball camera/cellphone is securely mounted. It would probably be the first thing stolen by the thief.
Don and Cheryl Catoe
Shreveport, Louisiana
My Blog

#15 lilgreek7

lilgreek7

• All Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Well, I have one of these fine products and having trouble getting it to operate as advertised. It advertises that it works well with AT&T and Tmobile. I have Tmobile and purchased a new sim card for this device. These two are suppose to communicate with each other and send the pics or videos to my cell phone. Well it hasn't happened yet. I will keep you guys tuned in on this adventure. It sounds like a great idea and perfect for my peace of mind, but for the time being, it is driving me crazy.:(

p.s. if anyone out there has experience with these things, please give me a jingle.

Edited by lilgreek7, 15 May 2012 - 02:38 PM.