On Line Business

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamin

Dreamin

• Validated Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

Working on line is something I have been thinking about doing since I recently retired. I would like to spend winters in the US and as a Canadian, I can't easily work there. Even selling products would be risky without the right permits so probably not pracitical. Working in an internet based business seems to solve that problem. Anyone doing this or have any good ideas for a business?

2005 Dodge 3500 Dually, 4x4, Laramie, BD exhaust brake, PacBrake air bags, 2007 Arctic Fox 990 Camper

#2 Gemstone

Gemstone

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1238 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

I would stay with something you truly love to do....turn a hobby into a business perhaps ? Are you a wood carver ? Do you live in an area of Canada that has an abundance of Diamond Willow ? Weaver ? Quilter? Jeweler ? Beader ?
Anything you did before retirement that could be turned into an online business ? The sky is the limit, but I wouldn't be looking for stuff like Medical Transcription or envelope stuffing....

'06 Elite Suites, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

#3 Johnnycb

Johnnycb

• Validated Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Working on line is something I have been thinking about doing since I recently retired. I would like to spend winters in the US and as a Canadian, I can't easily work there. Even selling products would be risky without the right permits so probably not pracitical. Working in an internet based business seems to solve that problem. Anyone doing this or have any good ideas for a business?

You might want to check this site for some ideas http://nurvers.com/

#4 Lyn and Ray

Lyn and Ray

• Validated Members
  • 42 posts
  • SKP#:96356

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

I have a great online business I do wherever I go. All I need is an internet connection. No inventory to carry. It's fun, and people love it because it saves them time and money, and helps them stay in touch!

It's a unique online greeting card and gift-sending business to send REAL greeting cards thru the mail for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, congratulations, sympathy, thank-yous, etc.-- for as little as $1 per card. You go online, select your card, type your message, and click "Send Card." Your card is printed, stuffed, stamped and mailed for you the next day! You can even insert your favorite digital photos and have your own handwriting font and signature. Add gifts and giftcards, too.

The BEST way to know if this will really work for you is to send a free card to someone you care about, and check out the system and the business opportunity. Please give me a call at 480.495.7153.

Lyn
Ray & Lyn Madaghiele
Lovin' full-timing, with businesses on the road
2007 New Horizons 5th wheel pulled by Chevy 3500 dually
www.theTLCenter.com
"Be the change you wish to see" -- Gandhi

#5 LiveWorkDream

LiveWorkDream

• Validated Members
  • 124 posts
  • SKP#:103274

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:39 AM

I know this topic is old but I wanted to renew it because I'm always happy to share how my husband and I work online from the road. We've done it since 2007 and have never looked back. We are not retired and have a number of different small businesses we run that range from representing a catalog shopping company to freelance writing. It's definitely possible to make a living at this! Anyone interested can PM me for more details.

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

#6 David & Lorna Schinske

David & Lorna Schinske

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2590 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

Almost everyone that is here long term in our current park is working. Like us, they use an RV as a mobile apartment. I think there are only two who are retired and we have a skoolie (a family) that pulled in a couple of weeks ago. They are looking at buying land in the area. Haven't talked much to them... too busy getting my own skoolie ready to move into. We seem to be seeing more working people than previously. Some are tired of living in hotels/motels. Others are bringing their spouses along. the construction workers who just left, simply have another job in another town in the same state. They say it's not worth the hassle of staying in motels. One guy's boss bought his trailer for him several years ago. Said it was the best thing since he could relax more and eat better. Last winter we had a kid next to us going to college. Said the trailer payments PLUS the site rental was about half of staying in a dorm or renting an apt locally.

#7 TheDuke

TheDuke

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1127 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

What has been mentioned here are good businesses. But watch out for ones that over hype their online business and are really selling their software and site homepage. Getting references here is a great idea.

#8 LiveWorkDream

LiveWorkDream

• Validated Members
  • 124 posts
  • SKP#:103274

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

There are lots more of us working-age folks out there than people realize. Whenever we meet people, they think we won the lotto and are traveling around without a care in the world! While our office scenery changes almost daily, we are indeed working when we are parked. Learning different ways to make a living online was the best decision we ever made, now, our business is fully portable. We wouldn't have it any other way!

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

#9 Eagle

Eagle

• Validated Members
  • 34 posts
  • SKP#:19772

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

My wife and I have started an on-line business selling solar lights, fountains, etc. www.solarlightsaglow.com There are lots of ways to have online businesses, ours is the way we felt comfortable doing, and we are genuinely interested in anything solar. Keep looking and you'll discover your niche too.
Eagle

#10 Suzie357

Suzie357

• Validated Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hi there!!! My husband, 23 month old & I are going to become full timers as soon as he seperates from the military. I have been researching online businesses for months!!!! Well, actually, closer to almost 2 years since I decided to stay home with the baby. I finally came across an amazing company called ViSalus. A girlfriend of mine that I've known since second grade introduced me to it. Not only is it a work-from-home job (where ever we call home) but it's a way for me to get healthier. The system revolves around the ViSalus shake mix. It has all the healthy stuff we are supposed to get from our diets, but never do. I am using them for weight loss, replacing 2 meals most days of the week. You can also choose 1 shake a day if you only need to lose a couple pounds or just want to be healthier. If you're not looking to lose weight, have a shake after your work out & the non-GMO protiens will help your body recover & build muscle. They also make a good for you energy drink called Nuero, diet pills Vi-Slim, & several different kinds of vitamins. They are a very easy company to work with even providing a free app so I can run my entire business from my smart phone & a free app for customers to help track their progress & get updates on promos/sales. There are far too many benefits of being a promoter or customer to list here. There are ways to get your kit for free by referring friends & you can even earn a FREE BMW by promoting!!! Not as hard as you might think, my girlfriend & her husband both are now driving BMWs paid for by ViSalus. Also, keep in mind that come tax time, many of your travel expences can be right off's as long as you conduct/manage your business while on your travels. If you have any questions or just want to find out more, please visit my website, sign the guest book, & watch a couple of the short videos that describe the products & business opportunities. Also, feel free to post questions here as well. See you camping!!!!!

www.suzie357.bodybyvi.com

#11 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Suzie,
I was involved in a similar sales/weight loss/telemarketing/multi-level marketing plan for two years. I worked upwards of 60 hours a week and NEVER showed a profit. They are a well known multi-billion $ corp that makes a very, very, very few wealthy. Even went to a conference in Minneapolis four years ago and LOTS and LOTS of hype.
A great product that I still use but no longer sell.
I'm not trying to disillusion you, but don't go out and buy a new Prevost counting on those commissions.

I just looked at their website. EXACTLY like the company I was involved with. Be prepared to buy your way up to the next marketing level, monthly fees for their training, EXPENSIVE leads, expensive advertising, etc. Be prepared to spend at least 6 hours on the phone EVERY day making sales calls getting rejected on about 99% of the calls. That time is in addition to time you spend on nightly training calls, which are really just pep and hype talks. You will need a nationwide call plan with unlimited minutes and ISP with lots and lots of data.
GO IN WITH YOUR EYES WIDE, WIDE OPEN. I did it WITHOUT any kids around that I had to care for.

Edited by Doug7155, 04 May 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#12 Suzie357

Suzie357

• Validated Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Doug,
Thank you for your concern. I have researched a few other companies & my husband & I even tried doing Quick Star (now Amway Global) & it either looked like, or actually was exactly like you described. Someone in your upline always tells you about a person that is doing great & making money & "you can too" (<--- cheesy salesman voice). In this company, I actually do know people doing quite well & I've been in this for less than 2 months & already making headway. Yes, there is rejection but over the years I've worked in retail & as a hairstylist & there is always rejection in every job. Also, not only can this travel with me through out the country, but traveling can be a plus. We will be meeting new people all the time. Sometimes all you need is an ice breaker & that person becomes your best friend. I know that I'll never be one of the people that get $50,000 a month doing this, I just want to get healthy & help my family out along the way.

#13 perry'nmicki

perry'nmicki

• Validated Members
  • 25 posts
  • SKP#:99588

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hi Everyone. We too have been living on the road, and making a part time living from writing and selling camping, survival and emergency preparedness products. I've actually been working from home since 1977, so when we retired and made the shift to full-timing, we continued some of the less time-consuming writing projects and set up a business selling information on how to become a freelance worker in any one of several careers. Most are writing related, some are not, and some, while road-worthy, would be better as permanent location businesses.

I chose the businesses we promote because we've either purchased the same training programs and did well with them, or are very familiar with the authors of the other programs. I (Micki) even wrote one on becoming a grant writer for Bob Bly, a well known leader in the copywriting field. Because I've not only used a few of his publications myself but, also, had to meet his standards meticulously when writing for him, I know how value-packed his books are. You really get the HOW TO, not just the WHAT TO from the books we've selected. That's one of the most important things to look for in any reference product.

I've written (or am writing) three of my own: A set of grant writer's tools to help track proposals through all the stages of proposal development, submission and follow up. This is a good writing field that can be done from anywhere. My other two are on running a CPR and First Aid certification business, and running a Local Ad Flyer business. With a bit of ingenuity and imagination, both could be done while traveling or full-timing, even though they are more easily managed from a permanent location.

Types of freelancing that I'm comfortable recommending include writing articles, web pages, blogs, product descriptions, resumes, travel writing, copywriting, press releases, newsletters, grant writing, business proposals, resumes, marketing materials (brochures, handouts, publicity pieces,) pairing with a web designer to write the content for his clients, writing case studies, sales copy, SEO copywriting, speech writing, or writing presentations. Think of the many things you're seen written in your personal and work life. Somebody is getting paid to do this. And in this economy businesses who need these written pieces can't always afford a staff employee anymore.

Other portable careers include direct marketing, Internet research, graphic design, page layout and design, family history videos, videography, video editing, photo editing, photography, stock photography, web design, social media consulting, site auditing, public relations, genealogy consultant or researcher, or being a "guru" in a field you already know a lot about.

There are many others that I'm less familiar with, but if none on my list are your niche, keep looking. Someone will be doing just what you dream of, and can show you the way.
Perry & Micki
About.com RVing articles http://camping.about...Boyer-78558.htm
Ad Hoc Group: Freelancers working from home or RV http://www.adhocgroup.net/hbb.html
AHG RVers page: http://www.adhocgroup.net/rv.html