• Please log in to reply
2284 replies to this topic

#1341 Jim Gehlen

Jim Gehlen

• Validated Members
  • 439 posts
  • SKP#:68396

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Pulled into Rapid City KOA Friday about noon. Made it from Parker to here on $500.00 for diesel. I had set aside $700 for the trip so I'm halfway happy about that. No weather to speak of. Had the flex pipe between the exhaust maniford and the exhaust pipe/muffler separate coming into Caspar, Wyoming and it got really noisy real quick, especially when the jske brake came on. Real tight place to get into for repair so I'll let Black Hills truck/trailer take care of the repair.

On I-15 getting into Beaver, Utah, I had a little mishap with the dump valves on the trailer. Seems as I was in a hurry to get loaded and after fighting the power cord and water hose which are difficult to store when cold, I forgot to close the valves. Well, the outside cover vibrated loose. Valerie seen the bits and pieces of the cap after the trailer tires ran over it just before the windshield of the car became extremely blurry due to the unknown substances which engulfed the front of the Isuzu. Couldn't get within rifle shot of the front of the car till I hit it with a garden hose in Rock Springs, WY.

Other then that, we are entrenched in Rapid City until October when we will head south and west.
Paint your wagon and come along
98 Volvo, VNL 610
01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"
South Dakota plates
SKP # 68396

#1342 DonF

DonF

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,145 posts
  • SKP#:103279

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:05 AM

Sorry to hear Jim & Val had abit of dump-valve debris to recover... hope all is well now, despite they're brrr-north!

Dave & Renee, Jack & Roger -- we'll be visiting Camp Horizons in mid-July, en route to OH, NY & NH.

Meanwhile, Fannie's lobbying to go to Yuma (for Algodones shopping) on our way back to Calif. for family events mid-May; we're in escrow on a property here in Mesa -- if it closes on time, we'll head down to Yuma around 03 or 04-May. If you're still there, will swing by to visit!

Cheers, to all!

-Don
Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Smart loader,
ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,
2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),
2005 smart fortwo passion

#1343 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,660 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Don, I sure as heck hope we are gone from New Horizons by then.....we should start moving into the new rig early this week. If you come by CO stop and visit....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#1344 1Rod

1Rod

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I departed Lantana Fl Easter Sunday. Waited till daylight. One of the other campers decided to hook up and pull out at 0 dark thirty (5am). Was worried that someone was borrowing a rig but then saw ther person and recognised him. Good thing was just getting ready to dial the nine one one.

Have stopped in the last rest area before Atlanta. My timing is a bit off from having to stop in Orlando until this morning. I am usually able to do a non stop run and get North of Atlanta before stopping. Will be looking online for a good place to eat between here and there and hopefully when my belly is full the roads will be more empty. Next stop Missouri.

Rod

1995 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

2007 Weekend Warrior FTL 4005 Traded 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 770 singled long with 14' van box and 60 inch deck. 465 Volvo with 10 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross

Rans Recumbent Bicycle

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

#1345 Bob Speckman

Bob Speckman

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 906 posts
  • SKP#:74461

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Sitting in Moab UT. Plan on doing some Jeepin for a few days then head east and north or north and east haven't made up my mind yet. Have to be back in MN 4/25

Edited by Bob Speckman, 09 April 2012 - 02:31 PM.

Bob

Country Coach Intrigue Motorhome
Harley Heritage Softail
Jeep TJ
Travel Supreme 34FKTSO 5th Wheel

#1346 Don Mcl

Don Mcl

• Validated Members
  • 145 posts
  • SKP#:109530

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Sitting in Moab UT. Plan on doing some Jeepin for a few days then head east and north or north and east haven't made up my mind yet. Have to be back in MN 4/25

also sitting in moab, about 10 miles south of town just east of 191 on blm ground,

moving up to arch view rv park north of town tomorrow to meet friends from montana that are bring our wheelers down.

don

Don and Diane

2008 Haulmark 3303TS
2014 JKUR X

#1347 kingskids

kingskids

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 512 posts
  • SKP#:107761

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Still in Texas right now. Wayland is finishing up a few things on the truck, and the "house" (as we call it) is over in Granbury (about an hour away) while we finish our visits with friends here. Next will be northern Alabama for some R&R time in the boat fishing, before heading over to the rally in TN. Hope everyone is enjoying themselves wherever they are - after all, if we don't like where we are, moving is not rocket science!

I tell people that this is the PERFECT lifestyle for a control freak - if you don't like the weather - move, if you don't like your neighbors - move, if someone you want to visit with is in somewhere else and you want to see them - move! Perfect lifestyle if you're not "married to" a bunch of stuff you have to keep. That does seem to be the sticking point for many doesn't it? Travel safe everyone and happy trails!
Richard & Sharon, Harley & Scruffy (our cool cats)
2011 DRV 43' customized Elite Denver model
2005 FL Century ("Maverick") by Wayland (2L Custom Trucks)
...truck swooshes by Precision Paint
Photo taken at our sticks and bricks home in CO
Posted Image

#1348 FurBall Express

FurBall Express

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hit Texarkana this afternoon, got some domicile stuff to do.
<p>Greg and AggieLife is what happens when you're making plans to do something else !

2010 Jeep Wrangler toad
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360

#1349 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,660 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

We are still in Junction City, KS at New Horizons. The 2012 is moved outside and will go through final systems test tomorrow. Everything is looking very good. Our genset gets moved over, and by Tuesday or latest Wednesday we should be "moving in". Should be in by the weekend. We will be here through most of the month. I still have to wire it for video, double towing, airlines for the Jeep, WiFIRanger, et. al. Plus I have business with New Horizons. So if you are running I-70 we accept visitors. (Except if you come while we are moving stuff I'm putting you to work :))

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#1350 Toterman

Toterman

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Pulled into Rapid City KOA Friday about noon. Made it from Parker to here on $500.00 for diesel. I had set aside $700 for the trip so I'm halfway happy about that. No weather to speak of. Had the flex pipe between the exhaust maniford and the exhaust pipe/muffler separate coming into Caspar, Wyoming and it got really noisy real quick, especially when the jske brake came on. Real tight place to get into for repair so I'll let Black Hills truck/trailer take care of the repair.

On I-15 getting into Beaver, Utah, I had a little mishap with the dump valves on the trailer. Seems as I was in a hurry to get loaded and after fighting the power cord and water hose which are difficult to store when cold, I forgot to close the valves. Well, the outside cover vibrated loose. Valerie seen the bits and pieces of the cap after the trailer tires ran over it just before the windshield of the car became extremely blurry due to the unknown substances which engulfed the front of the Isuzu. Couldn't get within rifle shot of the front of the car till I hit it with a garden hose in Rock Springs, WY.

Other then that, we are entrenched in Rapid City until October when we will head south and west.

Hey Jim, shit happens !! LOL ! Have a great summer !

David
Looking at new opportunities !
2008 Ultra Classic

http://community.web.../user/toterman2

#1351 VetRVer

VetRVer

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,195 posts
  • SKP#:109829

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Guess now that I'm officially a member of the "dark side" I can post here too. B) I'm in Pickens SC and heading ???? on Sat or Sun.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..

#1352 kingskids

kingskids

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Still in AL, but headed to TN for the HDT rally in a couple of days. Looking forward to meeting some new "dark sider's" at the rally, and seeing friends we met at the KS rally again. Travel safe everyone!
Sharon
Posted Image

#1353 TreyandSusan

TreyandSusan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 576 posts
  • SKP#:108475

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Decided this morning to head back to Austin to get some repair work done before taking off for the north.
Brad, we knocked on your door to say goodbye but you were running errands. Hope to see you and Jackolyn soon. Thanks for the golf and the great advice.

Susan & Trey Selman | HDT: 2001 770 VED12 | 5er: 2002 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | 2008 Piaggio MP3 400 | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation | 

#1354 1Rod

1Rod

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

After stopping at the toy store Posted Image(I-80 Truck Stop) in Iowa, we called Steve and Sandy Flatgard. We are prestenly staying at "Camp Flatgard Wildlife Preserve". Posted Image

The dogs jump down from the truck and froze!! I'm not sure who was more frightened, the dogs or the cows standing at the fence staring at them. Posted Image

Probably heading toward Wichita on Sunday.

Looks like the last post about Steve and Sandy was in 2007. I am currently sitting on their property and it's 2012 in the latter part of April. There has been some occasional frost and I have had to use the furnace just a little.

Last summer I worked in Cedar Rapids (about 12 miles from the exit to Steve and Sandy's) and mentioned on the forum that I might return this summer. Last year I stayed at Amana RV Campground until they closed and then out on I-80 for a month before heading back south. Anyway, thanks to the forum Steve or Sandy contacted me and offered a place to park on their 52 acre home base. It's a great place. He has a 50 amp site (where I currently am parked) and a 30 amp site. Both are easy access for an HDT and long 5er. They also have some excellent dry camping areas nestled in a treed pasture. Steve is a previous attendee at the HDT rally's in Wichita, and watches the forum. I will be here for another 7 weeks and will someday get outside with the camera and post some photos on Facebook with a link here. Now I have to get ready for work.

Rod

1995 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

2007 Weekend Warrior FTL 4005 Traded 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 770 singled long with 14' van box and 60 inch deck. 465 Volvo with 10 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross

Rans Recumbent Bicycle

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

#1355 Gemstone

Gemstone

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

deleted

Edited by Gemstone, 25 April 2012 - 07:17 AM.

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

#1356 kingskids

kingskids

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Trey & Susan - you guys are coming to the rally aren't you? Hope so. :)
Posted Image

#1357 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,306 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Just leaving Loveland, Colorado after a very pleasant visit with Jack and Dianne and Roger and Debbie at the New Horizons factory in Junction City, Kansas on Tuesday. Niiice toys and Jack and Danielle's new rig is wonderful. :)

Heading for Great Falls, Montana in a few minutes which is going to make for a long day at over 700 miles, then on to Red Deer, Alberta tomorrow which should be a little better. At least the weather is cooperating so far...

Geo

George,
2006 Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4 SRW
2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring

#1358 Don Mcl

Don Mcl

• Validated Members
  • 145 posts
  • SKP#:109530

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Just leaving Loveland, Colorado after a very pleasant visit with Jack and Dianne and Roger and Debbie at the New Horizons factory in Junction City, Kansas on Tuesday. Niiice toys and Jack and Danielle's new rig is wonderful. :)

Heading for Great Falls, Montana in a few minutes which is going to make for a long day at over 700 miles, then on to Red Deer, Alberta tomorrow which should be a little better. At least the weather is cooperating so far...

Geo

pm sent with an open invitation for you to rest here while on your journey. (we have a site with power/sewer available) or dry camping on our 20 acres.

this invitation is extended to everyone, anytime even if were not around.

http://maps.google.c...85c478a5e&msa=0

don

Don and Diane

2008 Haulmark 3303TS
2014 JKUR X

#1359 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Don, that's very kind. Need to boot it north this time as we have customs to deal with tomorrow over the trailer mods. I think Great Falls is the more conservative option this time.

Would love to take you up next trip south tho.

Geo

George,

#1360 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

No trans problems yet, but spent yesterday evening at the Volvo dealer in Billings having the fan clutch assembly replaced.

Heading to Red Deer today after some battery charge time currently but the weather is not primo. High winds and some rain.

Snow forecast this afternoon for Red Deer. Interesting after Junction City in the 90s.

Geo

George,