HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

We have spent several days here http://lvpark.com/ near Eunice, La. Local owned and managed park in the center of Cajun country. Big pull through sites too. :) On west tomorrow to Texas and then to Las Vegas to work the Mint 400 desert race :P

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Edit :

Got back to the sticks & bricks last Friday 3/9 from Tucson. We took Arizona 77 from Tucson to Globe then picked up US 60 that takes you through the Salt River Canyon. Now if you don't want to miss the drive between Superior and Globe you can cut across using Arizona 177. Now I have taken all these routes before but not using my HDT. You might want to know along Arizona 77 going Easterly there is a 12 mile long 7% grade and a short maybe a mile or 2 of 8% grade. No real sharp turns so no real problem with the right gear and engine brake. Now the Salt River Canyon has 6% grade up and down with a few 25 MPH curves still not a problem for those prudent and sensible drivers. Having used this route through the Canyon 100's of times I have seen my share of accidents that can be dramatic and deadly. Most of the HDT truck accidents are happening by but not all from East Coast drivers with no exhaust brakes. Usually they are going Easterly (they just added a run off ramp within the last couple of years) and before the Canyon there is a grade to Senica lake and they heat up their brakes on that grade and don't stop at the brake check just after and just before the canyon and cool their brakes.

Anyway though if you take US 60 from Phoenix to Show Low or Arizona 77 from Tucson or reverse. It is a beautiful trip and well worth it. I don't mean to make it sound scary as it is not just need to be prudent and when I stopped at the brake/safety check before the Canyon brakes was just barely warm. Then again I am not at 80,000 lbs.

Sadly this little trip is over!!! :angry::)

Well we made it down to Tucson(staying at Justin's Diamond J CG) yesterday after a week at PIR and lot less problems than Daytona!!!. Did the Arizona Desert-Senora Museum today one of our favorites and was better than ever. Will do the Kartchner Caverns tomorrow cannot believe we have not done that on yet. Come to think of it have not done Old Tucson either may do that Thursday. Then off back to Show Low for my delivery of material I think I will sort of take the back way through Hayden copper mine area then the Salt River Canyon. This trip so far has been a lot less eventful than my first one in the HDT which was not bad at all but these one less. Still smiling!!!! :D:)

quote name='Bob Cochran' timestamp='1329361991' post='522815']

Will be leaving on 2/27 to go done to Phoenix International Speedway(NASCAR is finally back) camping in desert for the week. The plan is after the races going down to Tucson 3/5 not decided where we are going to stay yet have to call some places during race week. We love to go to the Sonora Desert Museum when it is cooler animals more active and of course other place around the area which there are many. Will need be back up here in the S & B East of Show Low by 3/12 having new windows delivered/installed and then have the house siding to be ordered and installed.

Edited by Bob Cochran

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

• 2 weeks later...

At Mor/ryde at Elkheart, IN getting the IS suspension, disc brakes and 17.5 tires installed. Planning on visiting the DRV factory.

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too

1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.

ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake

2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3

Semper Fi

Moved over to Lagrange, IN to Indiana Interstate RV to have one of the slides repraired on the Mobile Suites.

I can not say enough good things about Mor/ryde. Excellent people with an excellent product. Thanks to all that recommend the IS system and the dexter brakes. With this and the 17.5 tires I feel safe going down the road.

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too

1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.

ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake

2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3

Semper Fi

Been here in Vegas for a while working the Mint 400 Desert Race. Nice visit from Rick and Alanna Friday afternoon. Heading to Mazama Monday. B)

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

• 2 weeks later...

Will be Leaving Parker, AZ Tuesday AM and headed for Rapid City via Las Vegas, Salt Lake City then east on 80 to probably Rawlins,WY to Caspar then over to Rapid City. Figuring on 4 days to get there. Be about 1200/1300 miles. Cheapest fuel I've found is in Cheyenne, WY at $3.99/gallon.

Paint your wagon and come along

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

Left Austin, finishing winter jobs and wonderful visits with family and friends. Staying in Livingston (Rainbow's End).

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Well we got to "enjoy" our first tornado warning/watch/hail/etc in the rv today in TX. NOT a fun day! We were not in a place to be able to go to a "safe building", so we tried to figure out if we'd be safer with the slides in or out. Opted for out, but still not sure on the answer for that. Hope tomorrow doesn't bring more lousy weather while we are away from the rig visiting friends for the day. The poor cats were terrified with the hail pounding the roof, skylights, and windows - and frankly, I wasn't too comfortable either. I kept thinking it was going to blow us all down the freeway for trucks to smash into. We have an emergency weather radio and it basically kept yammering at us for about 4 hours overall. So nice that it's been silent for several more hours! This was a day I would like to NOT repeat any time soon. If the truck wasn't in Poolville about an hour or more away, I would have lobbied for hooking up and running away from this weather before it got here, but I have a feeling hubby would have thrown logic on me and told me that you can't know which way to run or something like that. UGH! I'm missing the weather proof part of Colorado - this stuff is scary! If anyone has advice on slides in or out for future reference (that I hope to never need again, but figure I'm not that lucky), I'd love to know how to deal with the violent weather that this part of the country can throw at one. I told the folks here that "you Texans sure know how to throw a party for visitors"! They promised no more today...

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

We are in Junction City, KS at New Horizons picking up the new trailer....Roger & Debbie are here, as are Craig and Lidia....two 780s and my 610 are crowding the lot......George will be here Friday with hist 780....a truck show in process....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We are in Junction City, KS at New Horizons picking up the new trailer....Roger & Debbie are here, as are Craig and Lidia....two 780s and my 610 are crowding the lot......George will be here Friday with hist 780....a truck show in process....

As much as we desperately want to be there, don't bet on it Jack.

Paul and Kay are saying tomorrow night for completion, but I'm not fully convinced based on my experience. This was a huge reno project and like all big projects has somewhat flexible end times plus we have to run some acceptance trials to make sure it all works. :) But it sure does look nice to my eyes so far.

I think we will likely be there on Sat or Sun, and would love to see the factory Monday.

Will touch base in an email.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Only 3 trucks? That's nothin'! I remember when you & Danielle, Roger & Debbie, Gail & Bonnie, Don & Fannie and Dave & I were all there at the same time...

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Renee, wish you and Dave were here. The party is just not the same!!

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Pulled into Rapid City KOA Friday about noon. Made it from Parker to here on $500.00 for diesel. I had set aside $700 for the trip so I'm halfway happy about that. No weather to speak of. Had the flex pipe between the exhaust maniford and the exhaust pipe/muffler separate coming into Caspar, Wyoming and it got really noisy real quick, especially when the jske brake came on. Real tight place to get into for repair so I'll let Black Hills truck/trailer take care of the repair.

On I-15 getting into Beaver, Utah, I had a little mishap with the dump valves on the trailer. Seems as I was in a hurry to get loaded and after fighting the power cord and water hose which are difficult to store when cold, I forgot to close the valves. Well, the outside cover vibrated loose. Valerie seen the bits and pieces of the cap after the trailer tires ran over it just before the windshield of the car became extremely blurry due to the unknown substances which engulfed the front of the Isuzu. Couldn't get within rifle shot of the front of the car till I hit it with a garden hose in Rock Springs, WY.

Other then that, we are entrenched in Rapid City until October when we will head south and west.

Paint your wagon and come along

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

Sorry to hear Jim & Val had abit of dump-valve debris to recover... hope all is well now, despite they're brrr-north!

Dave & Renee, Jack & Roger -- we'll be visiting Camp Horizons in mid-July, en route to OH, NY & NH.

Meanwhile, Fannie's lobbying to go to Yuma (for Algodones shopping) on our way back to Calif. for family events mid-May; we're in escrow on a property here in Mesa -- if it closes on time, we'll head down to Yuma around 03 or 04-May. If you're still there, will swing by to visit!

Cheers, to all!

-Don

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

Don, I sure as heck hope we are gone from New Horizons by then.....we should start moving into the new rig early this week. If you come by CO stop and visit....

www.jackdanmayer.com

I departed Lantana Fl Easter Sunday. Waited till daylight. One of the other campers decided to hook up and pull out at 0 dark thirty (5am). Was worried that someone was borrowing a rig but then saw ther person and recognised him. Good thing was just getting ready to dial the nine one one.

Have stopped in the last rest area before Atlanta. My timing is a bit off from having to stop in Orlando until this morning. I am usually able to do a non stop run and get North of Atlanta before stopping. Will be looking online for a good place to eat between here and there and hopefully when my belly is full the roads will be more empty. Next stop Missouri.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Sitting in Moab UT. Plan on doing some Jeepin for a few days then head east and north or north and east haven't made up my mind yet. Have to be back in MN 4/25

Edited by Bob Speckman

Bob

Country Coach Intrigue Motorhome
Harley Heritage Softail
Jeep TJ
Travel Supreme 34FKTSO 5th Wheel

Sitting in Moab UT. Plan on doing some Jeepin for a few days then head east and north or north and east haven't made up my mind yet. Have to be back in MN 4/25

also sitting in moab, about 10 miles south of town just east of 191 on blm ground,

moving up to arch view rv park north of town tomorrow to meet friends from montana that are bring our wheelers down.

don

Don and Diane

2008 Haulmark 3303TS
2014 JKUR X

Still in Texas right now. Wayland is finishing up a few things on the truck, and the "house" (as we call it) is over in Granbury (about an hour away) while we finish our visits with friends here. Next will be northern Alabama for some R&R time in the boat fishing, before heading over to the rally in TN. Hope everyone is enjoying themselves wherever they are - after all, if we don't like where we are, moving is not rocket science!

I tell people that this is the PERFECT lifestyle for a control freak - if you don't like the weather - move, if you don't like your neighbors - move, if someone you want to visit with is in somewhere else and you want to see them - move! Perfect lifestyle if you're not "married to" a bunch of stuff you have to keep. That does seem to be the sticking point for many doesn't it? Travel safe everyone and happy trails!

Richard & Sharon

For Sale - 2005 Freightliner Century RV Hauler

Truck-for-sale-smaller.jpg

We are still in Junction City, KS at New Horizons. The 2012 is moved outside and will go through final systems test tomorrow. Everything is looking very good. Our genset gets moved over, and by Tuesday or latest Wednesday we should be "moving in". Should be in by the weekend. We will be here through most of the month. I still have to wire it for video, double towing, airlines for the Jeep, WiFIRanger, et. al. Plus I have business with New Horizons. So if you are running I-70 we accept visitors. (Except if you come while we are moving stuff I'm putting you to work :))

www.jackdanmayer.com

Pulled into Rapid City KOA Friday about noon. Made it from Parker to here on $500.00 for diesel. I had set aside $700 for the trip so I'm halfway happy about that. No weather to speak of. Had the flex pipe between the exhaust maniford and the exhaust pipe/muffler separate coming into Caspar, Wyoming and it got really noisy real quick, especially when the jske brake came on. Real tight place to get into for repair so I'll let Black Hills truck/trailer take care of the repair.

On I-15 getting into Beaver, Utah, I had a little mishap with the dump valves on the trailer. Seems as I was in a hurry to get loaded and after fighting the power cord and water hose which are difficult to store when cold, I forgot to close the valves. Well, the outside cover vibrated loose. Valerie seen the bits and pieces of the cap after the trailer tires ran over it just before the windshield of the car became extremely blurry due to the unknown substances which engulfed the front of the Isuzu. Couldn't get within rifle shot of the front of the car till I hit it with a garden hose in Rock Springs, WY.

Other then that, we are entrenched in Rapid City until October when we will head south and west.

Hey Jim, shit happens !! LOL ! Have a great summer !

David

Looking at new opportunities !

2008 Ultra Classic

http://community.web.../user/toterman2

Guess now that I'm officially a member of the "dark side" I can post here too. B) I'm in Pickens SC and heading ???? on Sat or Sun.

Brian
USAF Ret

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Vets with PTSD and Other VA Issues

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
~ Thomas Jefferson..