Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#81 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

Transmittion lines can be miles long or short sections. You need someone to pick you up a certain spots on the line. usally it your spouse, for which they are paid as a helper. This work out in a good way as long as you can count on them staying for the whole job. Thats one reason I don't work trans line. DW has to go home to take care of her mother.

Taxes are baased on legal home resident. MY legal resident is Livingston, Tx.

Bob

#82 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

SCC dosen't post job on then internet, job are assign as they become available. If you have an area that you would prefer to work, you need to let them know during the interview procees. I have never heard of SCC having Jobs in Ca, AZ, wa, or the New endland area. Not that this places wouldn't be there sometime in the feture.

Bob

#83 Bye

Bye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the response.

I understand that the base pay is taxable along with my annuity by the IRS.

What I am looking into is - If I work in an income tax state, Utah, Arizona, NM, etc, - Will I have to file an individual tax form for that state and pay a state income tax?

OR, if I understand what is being said, Florida as my home of record, legal residence, then no state income tax will be withheld.,,,by SC. Then there is no tax liability for any state where a temporary assignment is completed.

Let's say you work an assignment in Utah for 2 months, and make $5,000, Do you have to pay a Utah income tax on that amount? and, would part of an annuity have to be paid to that state?

Maybe I am making this more complicated than it really is. Just trying to understand what my tax liability would be if accepting an assignment in a state that taxes income.

"Mirada" if I understand what you are saying, then as far as Oasis is concerned, I'm working in Florida, if that is my state of record.

Thanks for your input.

Bob, I did send you a short PM. Thanks for all the information you have provided through this forum. It is what initially got me interested in SCC. Like you, I have 30+ years military and Federal Service Law Enforcement. After 9 years of playing around, I'm ready to go do something. I don't need any new toys right now, but maybe next year.

Thanks again for the time you have taken over that past couple years on this thread to answer questions for everyone.

#84 bigbob7777

bigbob7777

• Validated Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

I also called and faxed a resume 3 months ago. Still no reply. I figured they had all they needed. Not even a "thanks but no thanks".

bob
Seeing America our way in "Our Tym".
Retired Air Traffic Controller 9/2005
38' Montana 5th wheel
2008 Dodge Diesel Dually

#85 delsolrp13

delsolrp13

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

Bob,

We just talked to Gene and he will be sending our packets but I am not clear about perdium.
He says there is no perdium. He said there was travel expense. He said only one of the couple would be paid travel expense of 180.00 per week but i have read it was paid to both people. We really need to know the exact figures in order to be able to to accept the job. Could you please let us know?

#86 Jim/Alona

Jim/Alona

• Validated Members
  • 482 posts
  • SKP#:103929

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Jan for your input! I don't remember what the starting wage is for SC as well as where you train. Also, have they told you where you may be working during the winter? We would want to stay on the west half of the US and somewhat warm in the winter! Thanks again.
Jim & Alona traveling with River, Rocky & Indy.
Our home, a 33' 1988 Southwind which we love!

http://arjrontheroad.blogspot.com
http://gatewatchers.blogspot.com

#87 bobsea43

bobsea43

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 925 posts
  • SKP#:107288

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

mirada,
sounds like you are happy with the arrangement. I am glad to hear that. Have not really heard anything negative about this opportunity other then pre-employment contact delays. I intend to pursue it starting in mid-Jan. Will be interested in Bob A's response to you.

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.1
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited  (Oscar)
Our FT Blog is at this link

#88 Jim and Lois Nichols

Jim and Lois Nichols

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

Hey Bob and Jwalker,

Talked to Gene this morning, he is sending out packets to both of us, we are to call him when we are ready to leave SD, he said he would get us to a training spot at that time.
After talking to him though I have to admit, some of the answers were a little vague, like being able to stay south in the winter? That is real important to us, also on being able to have a choice on locations and jobs sounded like not as much flexibility as I thought any thoughts would be appreciated.
We are pretty flexible just don't want to be freezing in the winter somewhere up north!

#89 delsolrp13

delsolrp13

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

thank all of you for the information i talked to a mr sherman colton today and he gave me the information i needed We have to work both full time in order to pay our bills whos decides where you go to work home office or field super.

#90 WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ

• Validated Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

I have also been wondering if the fuel allowance has increased yet. We are thinking about trying this next year.
Dan
Dan & Teri Gregg
WD0AFQ

GMC Classic, Class A/Vibe GT
http://www.danandteri.blogspot.com

#91 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:37 AM

The job you are talking about are marking utility lines. Those can be done year around. We do every little work in that area. Surveying can be done during the winter, as long as the ground is not frozen or too wet. It can be done on snow, but our company consider this too danderous. You don't know where you are stepping and this could lead to you falling.

This company number one rule is Saftey. This is not only a company Line, but a fact. There have been employees fired for saftey reasons.

Bob

#92 Bye

Bye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:15 AM

Has anyone ever stayed at Jones RV Park, Norcross, Ga?

#93 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:20 AM

Southern Cross is in need for more Survey tech. the season is starting up and they have more jobs, than tech.

If you would like a job and are ready to go to work, Give the following a call.

Cullen Broome 770-810-3520 or

Sherman carlton 770-527-1687

I know it is a long thread, but if you start a thr beginning and ready to the end, most of your question about the job, will be found there.

I do't have email where I'm at, so I have to drive to another town to get my email. It may take time to answer your question.

Thanks

Bob

#94 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:10 AM

If you are having trouble with Southern Cross not calling you back, call my supervisor Gene Booth at 972-529-7679. If he not answering his cell, he is probly travling, just leave a message that you would like to talk to him about hiring on. He will call you back. Tell him Bob Arnold told you to call him.

Bob

#95 Bye

Bye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Bob,

the reviews on that park are not great, just wondering about personal experience.

#96 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 106 posts
  • SKP#:98704

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

Dang Bob,

You tell Paul he owes us big time. Boise was supposed to be our job. Instead somebody's arm got twisted and we are off to Birmingham till fall. Posted Image

But hey, maybe we will be fleet of feet and zip though B'ham in no time, and the heat should help us in our continued quest to lose some poundage. Posted Image

Well, probably not, but one can dream Posted Image
jwalker
Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee
Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

#97 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

Shegry

Give Gene Booth a call at 972-529-7679. He will interview you and get the process started. Just tell him, I told you to call him.

Bob

#98 Jim and Lois Nichols

Jim and Lois Nichols

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

Hey Bob,
We have been reading this thread, thanks to everyone who is posting information on this line of work.
We are going to call Gene, but I would like to know if there are any couples out there working for SCC, and how you like it, we will need to be full time year round or at least most of the year.
I guess the question is, can both of us be working year round? And what exactly would the job be as a couple.
Okay thanks in advance, Have a great Day!

#99 Fulltimer51

Fulltimer51

• Validated Members
  • 442 posts
  • SKP#:97248

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

Helps keep you in shape too.

This is my own, personal opinion and is in NOWAY meant to be an attack on anyone. 

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2013 Lifestyle 37RESL 5th Wheel

#100 JAXFL

JAXFL

• Validated Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:06 AM

Bob I might quit my full time job and work this if the numbers are correct:

Travel = 220.00 wk
Car Usage = 92.00 wk
Hrly $8x40 = 320.00 wk

Monthly = $2528 before taxes and excerise too. For a part-time job that ain't bad.