Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#61 Bluebird Bob

Bluebird Bob

• Validated Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

Wife and I thought about applying to this company, but in todays's world, I can't imagine wandering into someone's yard and not get shot.

We have problems with that. Posted Image

#62 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

Currently I'm in Salt City. Give Gene a call, he can tell you who is working there and give you a contact number. Thats the best way to find where in Dallas you are going to work and those people are are usually at the best and cheapest RV park.

www.texascampgrounds.com
Bob

#63 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 113 posts
  • SKP#:98704

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

[quote]Jan
jwalker
Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee
Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

#64 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

No I don't offen travel to home on weekend. Altho right now I'm in Austin and will be going home over the July 4th holiday. When I work I live in my Motorhome and we close our place up in Mission.

The job annoucement will usely state how long the job should last, give or take two weeks. They will want you to stay until the job is completed.

If you want short jobs then tell them up front.

One thing that usely happens with new people is that they thing the job is a lot of travel. When its not they get disapointed.

Last year I started in the middle of March going to Deaton, Tx, then mineral wells, weatherford, tx and then to Albany, Al and finishing in Jackson, Ms in Late October.

This year Breckenridge and Graham, Tx, now in Austin, July back to Mineral Wells and weatherford. Then we'll see what else is open.

Would like to go east to the Carolinia's for short job. That way I can that my coach to the factory for service and visit my dads grave in SC. If no job comes open that interest me, then home until next March.

I have and will continue my needs and plans with the company, and hopefully their job match both our needs. All subject to change with alittle give an take.

Bob

#65 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:16 AM

SCC does wourk in FL. The web site job are mostly prement positions.

Bob

#66 Bye

Bye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

I have been looking at Southern Cross, reviewing their website, and reading opinions folks have about the company, etc., for over a year.

In December, I decided it would be interesting for a variety of reasons. I submitted an application of interest. I didn't hear anything, and assumed they were not interested.

However, today, I recieved a call from Mr. Cullin Broome regarding the application I sent.

After being retired for almost 9 years, I am seriously considering going to work for Southern Cross, assuming the interest is mutual. Interview, training location, assignments, etc.

The only issue I have any concern about at this stage, is state income tax issues when working in an income tax state. I receive a comfortable annuity, and concerned whether it makes sense to work in an income tax state. I am currently a Florida resident (no state income tax).

Can anyone recommend a tax preparer that can provide sound advice; And/Or, does anyone else fit into this type of situation?

#67 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 113 posts
  • SKP#:98704

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

shergry-

Bob said Paul was training with him in Salt Lake right now, so not sure about Round Rock.

B'ham is not unlike Knoxville, just a little hotter a little longer. And, as you mentioned, more tornados. (whoopee!)

Chuck's dad just passed away suddenly about a month ago. It is probably best that we weren't assigned too far from home at this time. That way, if Chuck needs to go home to help out his mom, he won't have far to go. It is also close enough for him to go home on the weekends if need be for the same reason.

Things work out for the best sometimes. While B'ham wasn't our first choice, it is probably the best choice right now. It makes Chuck feel better about leaving his mom, knowing he is only a 4 1/2 hour drive away should she need him.

happy trails
jwalker
Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee
Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

#68 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:28 PM

I don't have the insurance, since I'm retired Army. What I know of it is that you pay so much and the company payes the rest. Price is based on deductable. I ask around and post if I have any information.

Bob

#69 Bye

Bye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

DDrew,

Look forward to meeting you on 3/4.

Have a safe trip.

Bob, looks like SCC tries to be flexible. As you say the company is in business for a reason. I get the impression that they will be easy to work with, and my personal thoughts are, I take the job, I'll go where asked, if possible. Looking forward to a lot of different experiences in differing locations.

SCC seems like a company I want to work for, not have to. My impression is that it will be a rewarding and very mutually beneficial working relationship.

Good Luck on your travels.

#70 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for putting my name as a referral. I live in TX ans as the above post said, They only collect taxes for the state that is ypur home state. You will only pay taxes on your base pay, bonus,and acouple of other things that you may get or not in your pay. They do not taxs travel or milages, vehicle use pay or the weekly travel allowance. in 2007 I paid taxes on 15,520, but I drew over 32,000 in pay and allowances. This year I can only make 13500 in taxable incomem since I will draw SS this year. I'll just let the companyknow when I'm close to those number and call it a season.

I would still check with a tax company, just for your on peace of mind.

Bob

#71 bobsea43

bobsea43

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 925 posts
  • SKP#:107288

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

So how have these companies (SCC & Heath) dealt with the rapid increase in fuel prices? Have they adjusted there allowances for that?

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.1
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited  (Oscar)
Our FT Blog is at this link

#72 missionarymike

missionarymike

• Validated Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

Bob:
Thanks for the info. Couple of questions. Do you travel home on weekends, non paid I am sure if the answer is yes, if an assingment last for 3-5 months, do you have to stay on that job till finished, or can you take one closer to home?
Mike & Pat Davis, 2000 Ford F650 hauler, 2005 Cedar Creek 37FLQS, DOT# 1527978, KB8SQN & KB8SQT

#73 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

You will have to call SCC on the insurance. Being retired Army, I don't use it, but I know serveral Tech, that have it and some said that if you work 9hr days, that will pay for their plan.

Bob

#74 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

It all a matter of the area that I'm working in. Sometimes I go to the center of the map that I'm working on, then move around, til I come back to my car. I may just walk around the block. On lines that run along the hwy or road. I have the gas company take me to the end, where I park my car, then back to the start. I use my best judgement, ie weather, heat, type of lines. and lunch time. I work the maps that I have to my best advantage. yesterday I survey 17500 ft, moved car 3 times, Day before 25700 ft move car 5-8 times. on this survey I have on area that is 8 miles long. I'll have the gas company place me at start. When finished I'll go back over the area and map out the leaks, if any.

Bob

#75 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

salt lake City has been a great place to work this year (may-aug). People are great, lot of things to see, and some of the best maps I have ever worked with. This is one of the safes system that I have worked on. Every few leaks and those are fixed within 3-4 days. Unlike some that I have worked with, that have the same old leak , that is 12 yrs old. We had 6 people to start with, now are down to 5. We inspected 7 Million ft of gas lines. We survey the SLC valley from Orem to Ogdon, then west to Tooele county.

Next year the contract calls for 4 techs and will start around the last of April.

Bob

#76 mirada

mirada

• Validated Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Sideroads, yes, if your a resident of FL, then you "work" in FL, with FL tax duty, which is none. You may be walking elsewhere, but you work in FL. Good luck and have fun. I enjoyed it, and may do it again this summer.
Mark Pelow
98 Z610, D12A, super 10
08 Weekend Warrior
94 Tracker in it's belly

#77 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:04 AM

This year I'll start on 12th march in Breckenridge,Tx. This job will last about a month. I'll pick up area maps on the 12th from the Gas co. I start on one map and work until I'm finished. I usally turn my work in on Friday, usless I have a Leak thAT THE gas company needs to fix right away. I usally work 9-10 hrs aday 5 days a week. My choice (company only requires 8 hrs). Most of my day is spented walking the gaslines along the street or roads, then up to the meters. I cover 3-5 miles a day. I don't work on rainey days. If I find a leak, I grade it,draw a map of the leak and turn in into the gas co on friday. This is not hard work, but you need to be in good health. Some of or guys are in their late 70s. About an hour a day I spend on paper work to document my time and work. I send that to Southern Cross (SCC) on Friday. I get paid direct to bank each Friday.

I'll start off work in Breckenridge, Graham, Weatherford and Mineral Wells, Texas for Texas Gas. Then I'll go maybe to Denton, Tx or somewhere else. I 'll work untill the end of October.

Southern Cross is a good company to work with. Twice last ( 1 week and a month) year I had to leave a job because of family matters. No problem, told me to give them a call when I went back to job. If the job had a time requirement SCC would have sent a replacement.

When assignments come out an you don't want to work in that area, no problem they call someone else. You don't go to bottom of list. After you have worked for them a while SCC knows which areas you prefer. I usally like to work in Tx, MS, GA, and AL.

Send me a email if you want any more information, you can also go to the beginning of this thread and read thru it. It will answer most of your question.

BoB

Bob

#78 arft

arft

• Validated Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:54 AM

[quote]a
fulltimer since nov. 2004
2000 f-250 7.3 stick and 1999 32' 3 slide willderness fifth wheel
Welcome to Wally World GET UR STUFF AND GET OUT WALTER

#79 Boogity

Boogity

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • SKP#:96385

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:19 AM

Ron - have you ever tried a Segway? Those things are amazing. There were a few at the Escapades in Ohio last fall and it's unbelievable how they can go up and down bumps, curbs, and steep hills. I've never been on one but I'd like to try.

They are quite expensive and it would take a whole lot of gas line inspecting to pay for one.

#80 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

Please Give me His Name and Phone Number, I call Gene Booth to Find out why or he or you can call me at 501-960-3189. Between 8am to 8pm cst, weekend would be better for me. Just leave a message if I don't answer.

Bob
Currently Jermyn, Tx