Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#21 AZDream

AZDream

• Validated Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

I have not seen a post on this site since Seeptember. Is SCC not hiring and having gas leak detectors travel the country? Can anybody answer this? I went to the website, which has changed a lot and I see advertisements for gas leak detectors in individual cities? Just wondering if they did away with the travel part of it?

Deb

#22 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

About working for SCC during the winter. Most of those jobs are held for the crews that work during then spring and summer. You just let SCC know that you would like to work during the winter. 75% of the workers take a break for the winter. i work one winter in nashville, but had to wait a few weeks, before I went there.

Things are always changing in SCC, I was going to work in Texas this summer,but will work from may until the last of september in salt lake city. SCC needs 6 people this year, unlike last year they only need 2. Made a deal so that I get the West texas gas job again this OCt-Nov, Then finished for the season.

Bob

#23 mirada

mirada

• Validated Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

Not a problem. You look sorta professional, with a safety vest, badge, and a strange looking instrument. Some come out to question you, but just explaining that you are doing a SAFETY inspection, It calms most people. Then some interesting conversions start. I've meet some really cool folks. For yards with fences or dogs, you make the decision if you go in or not. Most times I will knock on the door and explain, or make noise to judge the dogs reaction, and maybe just walk on by, and make a note for the gas company to follow up.
Give it a try, you might like it. If not, you just quit. No obligations.
Mark
Mark Pelow
98 Z610, D12A, super 10
08 Weekend Warrior
94 Tracker in it's belly

#24 sir vayor

sir vayor

• Validated Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

I will jump in with a note...I used to work for Heath. I think the state income tax issue is more a factor of the company's procedures. When I started out with Heath, there was no state tax withheld, even when working in states with an income tax. Then, later, they started taking out state taxes while working in states with a tax. One year I had to file in 4 different states. It was a real pain and, in one case, they continued taking out Colorado taxes when I was working in New Mexico! And, they wouldn't change it or acknowledge any error on their part. 'They' being Heath.

Hopefully, this is not an issue with SCC. Hey good luck to all of you looking into this. I enjoyed this work, for the most part.

I do know that SCC is more flexible in terms of working part-time, unless something has drastically changed in the last couple of years.
2000 New Horizons 5th wheel
Western Wilderness Truck Camper
My Blog

#25 5Wood

5Wood

• Validated Members
  • 218 posts
  • SKP#:99693

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:50 AM

Bob
You said you get 220 per week for travel allowance. Is that paid for the entire length of the assignment or simply to get to your new assignment. Also what mileage rate do they pay for use of your auto.

Thanks Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

#26 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 113 posts
  • SKP#:98704

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Bob,

Chuck did the survey in Brownsville last year. It was set for 25 working days then too but ended up being almost 3 months, with some propane added onto the end. Just FYI.

I have an RV park in the Brownsville area I can recommend for you if you haven't already found one you like. It's Joy-O. Very nice people and the price was reasonable.

Regards,
jwalker
Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee
Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

#27 sir vayor

sir vayor

• Validated Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:45 PM

Believe it or not, we had, possibly, a majority of smokers in the crews I worked with. One guy even walked the lines with one hanging out of his mouth, all the time. Posted Image It IS difficult to carry the flame pack and your oxygen tank, too, however. Posted Image

Any takers, yet, Bob? Your name is familiar to me...did you ever work for Heath? I have to tell you that I do, sometimes, miss the work.
2000 New Horizons 5th wheel
Western Wilderness Truck Camper
My Blog

#28 shergry

shergry

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts
  • SKP#:#55719

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

A transmission line is a high pressure line that feeds from the storage facility to the lower pressure lines that are for the different distribution lines. They range as little as a mile to 45+ miles. These lines are every where. From my understanding SCC is no longer using new employees for (team) transmission work. They say they are full. This is where the wife or significant other would help. They are still looking for distribution line surveyors though.
If you would like to know about other companies that also do this kind of work and possibly better benefits pm me and I will try to help.
Gary and Sheryl Briggs
3 Cairn Terriers
2007 Mobile Suite SB3
F450 Lariat Turbo Diesel 4X4

#29 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

Remember you start a different basic pay I think 7.40 an hrs, and travel is 200 a week.
car is the same for everyone. a few get more, but that is very few. While in training with someone you be in his/hers car so no car pay.

The partime pay is why I work for themand I responsible for only my work. Don't want to be in charge of anyone and the company knows. So If i'm on an assignment with others, someone else is the lead Tech. Which really means they get stuck with the final report and no extra pay. I set how much I want to make this year. so I want to add to my place in Texas, so I'm working 45-48 hrs per week, as long as the local company has a crew on duty.

Bob

#30 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:32 AM

I would not worry about working this winter. Gene can't tell you about jobs that may or may not exist. There are always jobs available during the winter. They won't be in Key West, thats for sure. That beings said. There are year round jobs in Houston, Birmingham, nashvile, mobile, Alanta, dallas and small jobs that come open. Usually those of us that want t work during the winter have no problems.

Remember If they offer you a job, someplace you don't want to be, just tell them NO. You don't go to some kind of black list or the bottum of a list. They just go to someone else. Then when something else opens up they call you.

BOB

#31 Jim/Alona

Jim/Alona

• Validated Members
  • 482 posts
  • SKP#:103929

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

Bob, we would like to try this company for at least the coming winter and see how we all fit together. What should we do first? We will be done here in Utah in October, would there be training/work for us then do you think? I read in one of your earlier posts that they were short handed one winter, is that usual? if so, we might like to work for them in the winters and do other things in the summer or might wind up working for them all year. We are in our early 50's so walking is good for us!
Jim & Alona traveling with River, Rocky & Indy.
Our home, a 33' 1988 Southwind which we love!

http://arjrontheroad.blogspot.com
http://gatewatchers.blogspot.com

#32 LITTLE TOOT 2

LITTLE TOOT 2

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

Bob

I also work for SCC currently in AR. Do you know James Gilbert, works in TX for Gene too. Hope to work with you someday.

#33 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

Jim

The 220 is paid per week on each assignment. Travel to first assignment is 64 cents per mile. Once on location, no mileage but 2.30 and hr for use of vehicle. The only time the don't pay is when I go home at the end of by season. They also pay any tolls you come across.

I usally leave one assignment on on a Friday and Start on a Monday.

The 220 is really 44 dollars a day, Mon-Fri. Aslong as I put in 2 hrs I get the 44, but If I say in bed, I don'T(sick). But if I have Leave I can use it in Loue. I usaally Have a week or eight adays leave at the end of season. I turn in They pay 40 or 48 hrs each day, plus 44 each day.

Also they have 7 Holidays they pay for.

Bob

#34 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

Bob,

Where are you working right now?

We need info on where to stay in DFW area (cheap)

:-)
jwalker

#35 bogie7129

bogie7129

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

Hi, Bob,

This is a very interesting topic for me because, although I would like to be a f/t rv'er, I still need income in order to do it. I have not yet figured out how to make my first million, unfortunately.

Someone earlier asked a question about husband/wife teams. I never did see an answer to it so I'm wondering if one can hire on as the tech and the other as the assistant. If so, I am assuming both will receive an hourly wage but only one vehicle allowance.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Bob
USN (Ret)

#36 Bye

Bye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

A day after the meeting of the minds, and accepting the position, I received information by Fedex that answered all my questions, including RV parks, about making a long term committment to the park, as training assignments can be anywhere in Atlanta area. Training manuals, expectations, processing documents, personnel information, etc.

SCC seems to be on top of what they do in terms of personnel processing and customer service.

Spent a total of 2+ hours over 2 days, on the phone with Cullen Broome.

He is quite a gentleman, seems to really enjoy what he is doing, and it shows. He did not hesitate in answering questions, providing valuable information, etc. I think he is one of those folks you meet, that is never a stranger.

Getting a job was not all that important to me, but getting a job that I wanted to do and would enjoy doing was more important. Getting the right company with the right people to work with was even more important. After nine years of not looking, we are kind of excited about taking a new branch in the road.

Everything I have read, SCC apppears to be exactly the right match at the right time.

I am optimistic for a mutually beneficial relationship that works for both of us.

My sons were extremely surprised that I would ever consider going back to work. My DW is still in shock and I may have to take her in for therapy (I see her with a constant smile, not quite sure what to make of it!).

Finally, simply, Thank You to everyone on this forum that provided information about SCC, asked questions about SCC, and responded to questions about SCC. All of which peaked my interest in SCC quite awhile back. I just followed the thread postings and got hooked! I would not have known anything about SCC, were it not for this forum!

In my humble view, this forum is exceptional in providing invaluable information to others. There may not always be an agreement between the meeting of the minds; but there is always a meeting of the minds.

GodSpeed, and safe travels to All!

Just Simply, Thank You!

#37 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

On my way to Salt Lake City, the company asked me to do a small job in Johnson City, Ks. Thought this would be a simple job, wrong, Job simple, weather sucks. Friday we had 12 inches of snow, Temps have sung from 65-23, winds upto 54 miles per hour. Not much work in those conditions. I took a picture to remain me the next time they ask about Ks, tell them NO. DW not to happy about it. She do not into cold weather. can't work Monday and maybe tuesday because the ground will be to wet. But that how in goes. last season march- October, only one day I could not work.

When you have weeks like this they pay you 24 hrs as a minumin, plus travel allowance.

Bob

#38 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

• Validated Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

They do hire teams. One type is both are Surveyer and travle in the same car and survey the same area.The other is transmition line one survey the other is a helper. The helper pay is added to yours.

Bob

#39 AZDream

AZDream

• Validated Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the information Jan and Bob I will look for it. Like I said the information on this post is so very very helpful and when we get ready to do this. I will be contacting SCC for working purposes. Hubby and I are getting ready to travel to Canada for about 3 weeks and looking forward to it.

#40 jwalker

jwalker

• Validated Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

delsolrp..

I hope I am understanding your question (if you are asking a question that is)

I think the decision where and when you go is made collectivley between home office and Field Supervisor, based on where and when you are needed.

They will hire both of you if you both want to work. Just make sure to clearly communicate that wherever they send you, you both need to work.

They will do their best to accommodate you.
jwalker