Dish question

tinstartrvlr

Greetings all,

I have searched high and low for an answer to this question, including Dish tech support, with no firm answer.

I would like to be able to watch satellite tv in the bedroom but only have the one receiver (211z) in the living room. I considered a hopper and joey, but the cabling issue is a pain (especially the quality of the already installed cabling, and routing new cable), and I am not sure how well the wireless joey works. Also, price for all the equipment is an issue.

So I thought, why not just get a second 211z for the bedroom and be good to go. Not going to be watching both tv's at the same time.

I figured the easiest way to hook it up is to *somehow* have two connections from the dish to each receiver. A direct line to the living room, and a direct line to the bedroom.

Problem is, I can't find the answer about how to connect it all. I thought I could just split the signal coming off the dish to each receiver, but everything I have found tell me splitters are a no go.

I can't even find an explanation for all the outputs on the dish; an online video mentions using the main connection for one receiver and just connect the second receiver to any of the other outputs. Looking at the picture of the dish, those connections are labeled for individual satellites (110, 119, 129) so that doesn't seem right.

Those of you with two (or more) room setups, how did you do it?

Need suggestions...

Again, trying not to use the already installed cabling.

Thanks.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

What dish are you using? It sounds like you have a 1000.2 or 4, in which case any of the first three ports can be used to feed up to three 211's. The fourth port is an input, not an output. The receiver will select the correct satellite for the channel you choose. You could also just mirror your existing 211z to the bedroom TV using one of the low cost component to RV modulators connected to the existing bedroom coax. Walmart stores often have them in the TV accessories section.

On edit: I meant to add that the Joeys only work with the Hopper series receivers.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Hi Dutch,

Yes, I was referring to the 1000.2/4 antenna. I was looking at instructions online, and guess I didn't understand that I could use any of the 3 connections on the antenna to feed up to 3 receivers. There was so much mention of multiple connections and nodes and such that it didn't seem that simple. Maybe that was just for the hopper setup...

The modulator you mention sounds good, but my experience so far with the onboard coax has not been good - poor cable, loose connections in places I can't easily reach, etc. I have a direct line from my Tailgater to the receiver now - I gave up trying to get a signal cleanly through the onboard cable.

I realize the Hopper and Joey only work with each other so I wasn't too interested in making a pricey new equipment investment, and then to have a 211 collecting dust.

Based on what you are saying, it sounds like my original thought will work - just get another 211 (very inexpensive compared to hopper/joey setup) for the bedroom and give each one a dedicated hookup to the antenna. Hopefully Dish won't have a problem with it every time I update my locals-now they will have to update two receivers? Maybe a call to them first is a good idea.

Grateful for your input.

Dish just changes the service address for the account, not for each receiver, so multiple receivers are not a problem when they're in the same location. If one receiver is left home though, and one taken in the RV, then the locals will change for both receivers, even though the one at home may not be able to receive them because it's outside of the current spot beam. I don't know if your Tailgater will support two receivers though. I know the earlier ones didn't, but I don't know about the current model.

I've had pretty good luck with the onboard coax cabling in several RV's, although I usually cut the ends off and install new compression fittings on them. I did install a new RG6 run for connecting our portable 1000.4 dish though, mainly because I wanted to keep the existing park cable connection in place.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I would like to be able to watch satellite tv in the bedroom but only have the one receiver (211z) in the living room. I considered a hopper and joey, but the cabling issue is a pain (especially the quality of the already installed cabling, and routing new cable), and I am not sure how well the wireless joey works. Also, price for all the equipment is an issue.

So I thought, why not just get a second 211z for the bedroom and be good to go.

Wiring for a Hopper and one Joey in an RV is simpler than wiring for two 211 receivers (see below). With a Hopper 3 (shown way below), the wiring is even simpler. It's much much easier to run a single coax to a dish instead of two, especially on long runs.

Also, unless you're buying DISH receivers, the cost difference between a Hopper/Joey vs two 211 receivers is not that much.

two_rvtvs_hopperjoey_150dpi.jpg

hopper-3-rv-wiring-examples-72dpi.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Zulu, thank you for the diagram. That confirms that what I planned to do can be done. I just didn't realize the extra connections on the antenna could be used for that purpose.

I contemplated the hopper/joey but since I already have a 211, it didn't make sense to me to mothball it and buy new, different equipment.

With two 211's I can run separate dedicated lines to each from the antenna and avoid using the crappy onboard cabling.

Plus, I avoid too many different connections in the run. Currently I run the antenna directly to receiver, instead of (1) the antenna connection, (2) the outside wall connection, (3) the wall plate inside, and (4) the connection at the receiver.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived