Satellite Dish Question - Is Satellite Dish Selection a Science or a Migrane?

This may be a tad long but it may be educational for some newbies on buying a satellite dish. Believe me I’m still very much a newbie.

What I was trying to accomplish when I bought, yes it is already bought and in use, my Pathway X2, was to watch two different channels on two TV’s.

Did a lot of searching on this website, other RV forums, DISH Network website, and Winegard website. Finally ready, I called DISH. When I mentioned RV, was transferred to the RV section. I told the representative exactly what I wanted to do. She stated I would need two Wallys and a Pathfinder X2 to watch two channels on a portable satellite. She also added the programs on each TV would have to come from the same satellite. No problem.

Made my purchase on Amazon – Pathway X2, two Wallys, and tripod stand.

Installed and threw all boxes in the RV parks dumpster. Yes, they were emptied the next day.

Spent two days on the phone with Winegard and DISH to determine why I could not consistently receive two separate channels on two TVs. I would the main TV on one channel and the bedroom TV on the same channel and nothing. After hours of total exasperation, was transferred to DISH’s advance support. In three hours problem was solved. The two TV mode for different channels only works on one satellite in the Eastern Arc. Nice.

I reread the Winegard and DISH website information concerning the Pathway X2 many times. They did say both TV’s had to be watching programs on the same satellite. I did not pickup on the one satellite was in the Eastern arch and the only channels were SD and not HD. (This was in direct contrast to the information I received from the DiSH advance support group. They were sure it was HD.)

AND, DISH’s advanced support said I needed a Tailgater 2 to watch two different channels on two TVs since this function would not be limited to one satellite. The secondary TV could watch any program on the satellite the Main TV was using.

I am back to square one! I would like to have a portable satellite dish that would allow me to watch a football game on the main TV and let DW watch programs on the bedroom TV.

Does anyone have the straight skinny on what I should purchase?

Last but not least. I have a four day old Pathway X2 for sale.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

First, a 30 day trial is offered by dish, if that is where you got your equipment from. THey should take it back and do refunds.

Second, I did like you and did my research and it did not come up as obvious that there were some parenthetical limitations to the Set out dish's so I decided to go old school.

I picked up a tripod, a Dish 1000.4 (much better for an RV than a 1000.2) and a solo node which can pick from 3 or 4 satellites at the same time.

I got a Hopper 2 and a Joey to satisfy the multiple tv desire and though all of this was either scavenged from Cable companies, local dish dealers as we travelled and ebay, it has all been the exact solution I wanted.

To do anything differently,

1. Better tripod and mount, prefereably a surveyors type with adjustable legs.

2. Much better signal meter that would drive the LNBFs by itself during setup and show me exactly what satellite I am getting during setup. I still have just the $14 peaking meter and often just using it involved a lot of running in / out of the RV to get the thing on the right satellite and setup properly as we change locations.

Have my own set of coax compression connectors and tool because all of the handling makes good cables bad in timel;\\\

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Budd is correct. Any dome system is easier to setup but is serious lacking when two viewers are in the RV.

Either the DPP 1000.4 or the DPP 1000.4 dish with work as either gets all the satellites in the Eastern Arc or the Western arc depending on the LNBF head installed. The DPP 1000.4 has a built-in elevation adjustment but TV4RV.com has a kit to add screw elevation to the DPP 1000.2. The DPP 1000.2 is a bit smaller to carry.

There are three satellites in the WA and two in the EA. Four satellites is another game with International programming.

Definitely get a TV4RV.com HD tripod which is based on a surveyor tripod which enables a vertical mast on uneven ground.

A good meter makes it more feasible to setup the tripod farther away from the RV. It is hard to watch the meter display on the receiver when the dish is 200' from the RV.

You have a choice of recrivers to accomplish separate viewing. Two VIP211s or two Wallys single receivers will work. The older VIP622 and VIP722 DVRs provide for two TVs but the second is limited to SD viewing. A Hopper is a more elegant solution with up to four TVs viewing separate programming,

A Solo is only needed with the Hopper.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Budd is correct. Any dome system is easier to setup but is serious lacking when two viewers are in the RV.

Either the DPP 1000.4 or the DPP 1000.4 dish with work as either gets all the satellites in the Eastern Arc or the Western arc depending on the LNBF head installed. The DPP 1000.4 has a built-in elevation adjustment but TV4RV.com has a kit to add screw elevation to the DPP 1000.2. The DPP 1000.2 is a bit smaller to carry.

There are three satellites in the WA and two in the EA. Four satellites is another game with International programming.

Definitely get a TV4RV.com HD tripod which is based on a surveyor tripod which enables a vertical mast on uneven ground.

A good meter makes it more feasible to setup the tripod farther away from the RV. It is hard to watch the meter display on the receiver when the dish is 200' from the RV.

You have a choice of recrivers to accomplish separate viewing. Two VIP211s or two Wallys single receivers will work. The older VIP622 and VIP722 DVRs provide for two TVs but the second is limited to SD viewing. A Hopper is a more elegant solution with up to four TVs viewing separate programming,

A Solo is only needed with the Hopper.

Good info, but there are actually three satellites in the eastern arc located at 61.5, 72.7, and 77 degrees. The first two are all that's usually needed, but I have been on heavily treed sites a few times where I could only hit the closer 72.7 and 77 through a small gap, not the wider spaced 61.5. The 77 sat carries a lot of the same channels that 61.5 carries, plus it also carries the locals in 13 markets on CONUS beams instead of the smaller spot beams that carry most locals. That means you could set your service address to one of those areas and get the major networks anywhere in the country, kind of like the old "Distant Network Service" days. For instance, during the recent east coast "weather events", I switched our locals to the CONUS Jacksonville, FL market on 77 for awhile, to get the local stations TV coverage there while we were physically in Vermont.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Good info. I have been looking at doing this and had no idea what I needed. One question.

How do you decide Western Arch vs Eastern arch antennas?

With a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish, it's good to have both eastern and western arc LNB's on hand to maximize your aiming opportunities. Also, there are some local channels that are only carried on one arc or the other, although most are still on both. It only takes two screws and a few minutes to swap LNB's.

Dutch

Yes there are three satellites but the DPP 1000.2 EA LNBF head only has two LNBFs for 61.5 and 72.7. Satellite 77 is a parking area for SD channels. Just because there are CONUS transponders on a satellite doesn't mean they are available to you.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Yes there are three satellites but the DPP 1000.2 EA LNBF head only has two LNBFs for 61.5 and 72.7. Satellite 77 is a parking area for SD channels. Just because there are CONUS transponders on a satellite doesn't mean they are available to you.

Yes, the triple EA LNB only fits the 1000.4, but the 77 CONUS locals are available to anyone with a service address in that market.

Dutch

My head hurts now. Glad I went with direct tv.

You wouldn't be so glad if you were where I am right now. The Dish western arc and Direct sats are completely hidden by trees, but there's a clear line of sight to the three Dish eastern arc sats.

Dutch

We spent a month at PA Dutch Country thousand trails. No tv, no satalite, no cell phone. We loved it. Our favorite park. Just spent time together.

I guess your wife isn't the avid NHL hockey fan that my wife is. And has a favorite "can't miss an episode" soap opera too... :D

Dutch

• 4 weeks later...

So let's see if I have this correct.

I want the hopper 3 with dvr and a joey in the bedroom.

I will need a 1000.2 for the eastern arc and a 1000.4 for the western. We are going to be full timing and want satellite everywhere we go. When we travel to the east or west I just need to change the head correct? Anyone know why dish network says the pathway 2 will accomplish this but some of the stuff I have read says it won't?

We will have it on the the tripod that was suggested, but do any of you have a suggestion for the satellite finder?

Also next week I will be rewiring the motor home for this set up. It is my understanding that i will run the 2 cables from the dish to a solo node. Then 1 cable to the hopper and one to the Joey?

edit. Just saw an illustration and it looks like I need a tap also.

Also in the illustration it looks like if I use rg6 then I will only need on cable from the dish. correct?

2017 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL " Bob's Cabin / Carolyn's Beach House"
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
9 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

You need a DPP 1000.2 with an EA and a WA head. The same reflector and arm works for both arcs. You can do the same with a DPP 1000.4, a bigger reflector and screw elevations which can be added to the DPP 1000.2 also.

The only reason for a DPP 1000.4 is the EA for satellite 77 which is just a parking spot for spare channels.

If you want a Hopper 3 there is no dome in your future. You would never pass the Switch Check.

HD Tripod from TV4RV.com.

The tap is for an unusual wiring scheme, pre-Hopper 3.

Just one cable from the Hybrid LNBF head for the Hopper 3. You don't use a SOLO with the Hopper 3, you use a Hybrid Solo Hub.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

The only tripod mounted dish you can use with the Hopper 3 is the 1000.2. The 1000.4 is not compatible with the Dish Pro Hybrid (DPH) EA and WA LNB's you'll need. There is a mod that will fit the Hybrid DPH LNB's to the 1000.4 dish, but I don't think you want to get that technical at this point.

The Pathway 2 is capable of working with both arcs, but it only works with the VIP/Wally series of receivers, not the multi-tuner Hoppers.

Dutch

We will have it on the the tripod that was suggested, but do any of you have a suggestion for the satellite finder?

I suggest buying a used Sat Buddy meter like this one on eBay as new ones are rather pricey.

Just saw an illustration and it looks like I need a tap also.

Also in the illustration it looks like if I use rg6 then I will only need on cable from the dish. correct?

You're probably looking at a Hopper w/Sling wiring example. Here are some common Hopper 3 wiring examples:

hopper-3-rv-wiring-examples-72dpi.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thanks for the help. I will be order stuff today or tomorrow. Has anyone used a wireless joey for the bedroom? Would save me from having to run another cable.

2017 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL " Bob's Cabin / Carolyn's Beach House"
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
9 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

NO problem with the Winegard G2 Plus with direct Tv however no HD.Understood the issues with the Dish system.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Went to our local dish guy ( family relative) and asked ?'s. This is what he said: upgrade home setup to have 2 tvs get hd, ask for 2 walls then purchase a dish tailgater or winegard unit and then bring wallys in camper when traveling. Didn't ask him about watching different satellites, just different programs. Hmmm?.

Didn't ask him about watching different satellites, just different programs. Hmmm?.

With the Tailgater, or any dome, you will not be able to watch two different programs on two different TVs unless both of those programs are on the same satellite. If you're a Dish customer and want to do this, forget about domes and get an open-faced, multiple-LNB dish such as the Winegard Trav'ler or equivalent on a tripod.

If you do decide on a dome, before purchase find out whether or not it will work with two receivers. Not all of them will.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived