Linux, Windows and Mapping

Not to get into a Ubuntu (Linux) vs Windows debate.

I'm looking for a Linux friendly mapping software similar to Delorme Street Atlas.

Thanks in advance.

Al

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

Al,

I believe that many of us are looking for the same thing. The upswing in the popularity of smart phone mapping software has had a corresponding drop in the use of desktop software. My favorite, Streets and Trips, was discontinued after 2013. The lack of a good Linux based mapping program is one of the biggest reasons I am still dual booting Linux with Windows 7.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Thanks Roger.

I got hooked on Ubuntu a few years back. I run a System76 Lemur. On this machine for W7 or W8, I'd had to use a VM. Just have to find one that's decent. I found that VirtualBox was so-so.

I like SA rather than ST. I liked the ability to specify either miles per day or hours per day. On average, I figure 40mph.

Using google maps, even GS trip planner there is no ability to do that.

I find, however, that GS is better for routing as it takes RV's into account - height, restrictions, etc.

CoPilot Runs a close 2nd.

Al

Skp #98641
My Email

Mapping software has always been a weakness with Linux. So much for Linux can do anything windows can.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I use the Android version of Linux for my mapping, might look for an Android emulator for your laptop.

I did find some that might run directly on your laptop:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20110522052357647/GPSTools.html

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Howdy,

Running directly on my computers, I've been using Linux exclusively for the last 12 years or so.

A few recommendations:

1) use VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation to keep a Windows7 VM (or many) to run software not still available for Linux. Here I have 5 or 6 of them, one for each finality (scanning plus OCR, photo editing, taxes, GPS/mapping, etc). Once you install a "base VM", you can use the Clone functionality of your VM environment to duplicate it as a starting point for installing the others. I've used both MS Streets andb Trips and Delorme Street Atlas running is VMs to great effect.

2) Use the shared folders facility of your VM environment to save/share your work files from inside the VM to/from your Linux computer. This enables you to use VM snapshots to keep your VMs always at a "ready to use" point, where Windows is already booted, the application software is already loaded, etc. And when you're done, close the VM with the "restore snapshot" option selected so the VM returns to exactly the same state and is ready to use again when you need it: so no "software rot" (no more periodical Windows reinstallation), and virus/malware is mitigated (but practice safe computing anyway). This makes Windows inside a VM *way* better than using it directly on a computer.

3) use WINE (or its PlayOnLinux frontend) to run Windows software that needs high performance Direct3D access (like games). Many Windows games run very well on Linux with WINE.

Using VirtualBox and WINE enables me to keep from rebooting my machine into its Windows partition for months on end.

4) Choose your Linux distribution with care. I've used Ubuntu until 2014, but since the Unity debacle (Ubuntu 14) I've switched to Mint MATE and never looked back. The version I'm currently running now is 17.3.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

+1 for Vall. Running Windows as a virtual machine on Linux using VMWare is simple and effective. You don't even have to run it full screen. You can run the entire Windows OS within a window on Linux. If set up properly performance is a non issue.

Howdy,

Running directly on my computers, I've been using Linux exclusively for the last 12 years or so.

A few recommendations:

1) use VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation to keep a Windows7 VM (or many) to run software not still available for Linux. Here I have 5 or 6 of them, one for each finality (scanning plus OCR, photo editing, taxes, GPS/mapping, etc). Once you install a "base VM", you can use the Clone functionality of your VM environment to duplicate it as a starting point for installing the others. I've used both MS Streets andb Trips and Delorme Street Atlas running is VMs to great effect.

2) Use the shared folders facility of your VM environment to save/share your work files from inside the VM to/from your Linux computer. This enables you to use VM snapshots to keep your VMs always at a "ready to use" point, where Windows is already booted, the application software is already loaded, etc. And when you're done, close the VM with the "restore snapshot" option selected so the VM returns to exactly the same state and is ready to use again when you need it: so no "software rot" (no more periodical Windows reinstallation), and virus/malware is mitigated (but practice safe computing anyway). This makes Windows inside a VM *way* better than using it directly on a computer.

3) use WINE (or its PlayOnLinux frontend) to run Windows software that needs high performance Direct3D access (like games). Many Windows games run very well on Linux with WINE.

Using VirtualBox and WINE enables me to keep from rebooting my machine into its Windows partition for months on end.

4) Choose your Linux distribution with care. I've used Ubuntu until 2014, but since the Unity debacle (Ubuntu 14) I've switched to Mint MATE and never looked back. The version I'm currently running now is 17.3.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

As one who has been "toying" with Linux for a while, but not yet taken the jump, this post was most helpful.

Thank you avail.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I've got Virtual Box running, and I'm satisfied with it. I think one of my problems before was not installing Guest Additions.

A question Vall. For having different "folders" for your assorted apps - did you clone the OS you were running in the VM, or did you run all your apps from the one VM?

Skp #98641
My Email

Howdy Al,

I've got Virtual Box running, and I'm satisfied with it. I think one of my problems before was not installing Guest Additions.

Yep, guest additions really helps with performance, tyme sync and related matters, and is essential for others (like copy/paste between the VM and the host, etc).

Also, don't forget to add the Extensions too (these are added to the host, not the VM).

A question Vall. For having different "folders" for your assorted apps - did you clone the OS you were running in the VM, or did you run all your apps from the one VM?

What I do is to create a "base VM" (say, Windows7 with all the basics like printer driver and Guest Additions and etc), and then I clone this VM into other VMs where I install the apps I use for each "finality"; for example, looking at my VM "roster" right now, I have a "Base" Win7 VM (which I don't use but for cloning to others), a "scanning plus photo editing" VM where I installed the scanner and DSLR drivers and manufacturer utilities, plus OCR and photo editing apps, a "Taxes" VM where I install my tax related apps, another called "Software Development" with compilers and APIs and IDEs installed, and so on. This is all done with the "Machine > Clone" operation available from the VirtualBox main screen.

I also create directories in my linux host, and then share those directories with the VMs via the VirtualBox shared folder functionality: one folder has all my professional stuff, one for my personal stuff, a "temporary" folder which just maps to /tmp on the Linux host and is used to exchange "throw-away" files between the various VMs and/or the host, etc. Shared folders are really important with snapshots because you should never save your work to a VM drive, as it will be wiped out when you restore the snapshot (which is needed in the long run to keep Windows working with having to reinstall).

Using clones and shared folders as above, plus snapshots (to preserve the state of each VM at a "known good" point) works wonders for me.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Archived