No More Scalding Hot Water

ruelens

I recently made a simple and inexpensive change that I am pleased with. My hot water has always been extremely hot, approx. 145 degrees. For 28 bucks I purchased an Atwood 93105 Adjustable Thermostat from Amazon Prime. It allows for adjustable hot water temperatures approx. 110-150 F with 5 degree increments. I currently have my thermostat 1 click lower than the midpoint, and am getting approx. 122 degree water. It was a simple install from the outside door of my water heating unit.

This inexpensive device now gives me hot water at a safe temperature and should save money in electricity/propane storing hot water at a cooler temperature. Note: I called Atwood to confirm my model 10 gallon heater would be controlled both on propane and electricity with this 93105 part number.

post-26990-0-80385400-1439706701_thumb.jpg

Good find. In RVs, 120 is about the right outflow temp for both safety and longevity of components though powdered detergents usually suggest 140 degrees to fully dissolve and activate them. In the Evergreen SKP COHO, there are signs all over to not use powdered detergents. I have been suspecting it is because of this and the undissolved remnants?

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Doesn't this reduce the effective capacity of the heater? I thought they ran a higher temp, in conjunction with a mixing valve to supply water at an acceptable temperature.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Perhaps this is a subject that should be mentioned on the forums more frequently as while it isn't standard in any RV water heater that I am familiar with, both Suburban and Atwood make adjustable thermostats that can be added to a water heater. They are available from Amazon and most better RV supply parts houses either have them or can order them for you.

There is a reason that RV water heaters tend to operate at such high temperatures. The standard 6 gallon water heater is intended to supply water that is hot enough that you will use it in small amounts mixed with the larger supply of cold water. By doing this your 6 gallon water heater can supply enough to have a decent shower. It seems to me that adjustable thermostats have become more available as the larger sized water heaters have become more common and available. Atwood now makes a mixing valve that can be mounted behind the water heater to mix the hotter water from the tank with cold water from the system to supply water at a more acceptable temperature for the owner, without lowering the set point of the water heater. I'm not sure if Suburban has done this yet, but if not I'm sure that they soon will.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, the link you supplied for the Suburban is a fixed temperature. I couldn't find an adjustable thermostat for Suburban. Do you have a link for one?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Kirk, the link you supplied for the Suburban is a fixed temperature. I couldn't find an adjustable thermostat for Suburban. Do you have a link for one?

You are right! I should have read the specs more carefully. I found that in a search for one, but........... :wub: I wonder if one for an Atwood could possibly be used? I've not tried that as my water heaters of late have all been Atwood. I'll do some more digging to see what I can find and post it here if I find something.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are many tempering/mixing valves available, just about any of which can be used in an RV water system. The only advantage I can see to the Atwood valve is that it says it comes with a winterizing bypass kit. Another way to solve the problem at the sink and vanity is to install single lever faucets so that once the temperature is set, the water can be turned on and off without having to readjust the mix of hot and cold each time.

• 2 months later...

I recently made a simple and inexpensive change that I am pleased with. My hot water has always been extremely hot, approx. 145 degrees. For 28 bucks I purchased an Atwood 93105 Adjustable Thermostat from Amazon Prime. It allows for adjustable hot water temperatures approx. 110-150 F with 5 degree increments. I currently have my thermostat 1 click lower than the midpoint, and am getting approx. 122 degree water. It was a simple install from the outside door of my water heating unit.

This inexpensive device now gives me hot water at a safe temperature and should save money in electricity/propane storing hot water at a cooler temperature. Note: I called Atwood to confirm my model 10 gallon heater would be controlled both on propane and electricity with this 93105 part number.

attachicon.gifAtwood Thermostat.jpg

attachicon.gifAtwood Thermostat.jpg

Does yours work on electrics, as well as, gas? Thanks. Doesn't matter what letter u put mine on, it doesn't change the temp.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

One thing to keep in mind...

Lower Temperatures Allow Bacteria Growth

It seems as though the solution to help prevent accidental scalding would be to turn down the temperature at the water heater to say, 115 degrees, but lower temperatures actually create other problems.

At temperatures below 135 to 140, Legionellae bacteria, which is responsible for Legionnaires’ Disease, can survive and even multiply in the water heater tank. Estimates by LegionellaPrevention.org say that up to 600,000 cases of Legionnaires’ Disease are misdiagnosed as pnemonia each year, because this is something that isn’t tested for in hospitals. The diagram below shows the time it takes to kill Legionellae Bacteria at different temperatures.

The Atwood mixing valve has a poppet that allows cold water to be mixed with the hot. The poppet can get clogged up due to obstructions such as a calcium build-up. Once this happens you will get scalding hot water from the hot faucets and hot water out of the cold faucets, You will have to remove the water heater to get at the mixing valve and clean out the obstructions. After a couple of episodes of this I removed the mixing valve and added the adj thermostat. I also regularly clean out my hot water tank to avoid crud in the tank and lines. Since I put in the adj thermostat I have had no more issues.

I'll stick with the hotter water so that I can take long showers without running out. I always figured that was the reason for the higher temps. We have a single handle faucet in the kitchen and I can adjust the temp of the water with the faucet handle. I think it would be better to change the faucet to correct the problem at the kitchen sink while still having enough hot from the water heater for a good hot shower that lasts for more than a minute or two.

Pat DeJong

Archived