MaximumSignal Update?

MNRon

Yep, that's a good real world report, Gord. I think for most of us, the most important part is this:

"Well two things I need to add. Most importantly, I was able to get into a dead zone on Att. The Weboost got me a signal, but not LTE. The Max amp got me LTE. And 3 bars of it. Now I hate to reference bars, but there's no way to know the exact gain since you can't go less than "no signal" db."

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Gord (Now, it's the 25th!!!! So sure hope I don't see a response until the 26th or even 27th to this question:)!)

A cut and paste from a comment you made on the Storm Tracker link:

"The new antenna is not for sale yet . It is a prototype . We have been developing this antenna for almost 3 years . it is going to be called the Supermaxx . It will come in a clamp mount or a Mag mount . The ground plane is built in, so performance of the mag mount will not depend on a ground plane. When available it will be $69.95 ."

How long will the cord be on the Supermaxx? And, is this a viable upgrade from the, as you so often put it 'over achieving' 13" Mag Antenna?

(I asked about the cord length, because I'm thinking of setting up an A/B set up. Keep the 13" Mag unit on my roof top ground plane. But then also have the Supermaxx available and ready to raise on a pole mount off of the later. I'd think that 25' would do this well for my specific set up, without having to add the DB stepping down adapters and extension wire cord. (I'd have the cable run, and the antenna stored inside of a ladder mounted schedule 40 4" pipe. Then attach to a telescoping pole mounted to at the other side of the ladder, and raise it for times that enhanced signal gain is needed. Swap out the connectors to the Amp at those times. but pretty easy when the cables are already run and ready to A/B as needs dictate.)

TIA, and as always, best to all at Max Signal,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Hey Gord (Now, it's the 25th!!!! So sure hope I don't see a response until the 26th or even 27th to this question:)!)

A cut and paste from a comment you made on the Storm Tracker link:

"The new antenna is not for sale yet . It is a prototype . We have been developing this antenna for almost 3 years . it is going to be called the Supermaxx . It will come in a clamp mount or a Mag mount . The ground plane is built in, so performance of the mag mount will not depend on a ground plane. When available it will be $69.95 ."

How long will the cord be on the Supermaxx? And, is this a viable upgrade from the, as you so often put it 'over achieving' 13" Mag Antenna?

(I asked about the cord length, because I'm thinking of setting up an A/B set up. Keep the 13" Mag unit on my roof top ground plane. But then also have the Supermaxx available and ready to raise on a pole mount off of the later. I'd think that 25' would do this well for my specific set up, without having to add the DB stepping down adapters and extension wire cord. (I'd have the cable run, and the antenna stored inside of a ladder mounted schedule 40 4" pipe. Then attach to a telescoping pole mounted to at the other side of the ladder, and raise it for times that enhanced signal gain is needed. Swap out the connectors to the Amp at those times. but pretty easy when the cables are already run and ready to A/B as needs dictate.)

TIA, and as always, best to all at Max Signal,

Smitty

They will have 15 feet of Cable. The Supermaxx has been developed with the new frequencies in mind It has about 2DB more gain on 700, 1700 and 2100 MHZ. They will not be available till I can afford a full production run of 2000 units otherwise the cost of goods will not be where I can sell them at a reasonable price. So there is no timeframe right now.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

The Supermaxx outperforms the 13" mag mount. Handily.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That's good to see, Jack! Hopefully, Gord's Max Amp sales will be enough to get the Supermaxx into production soon. I wonder how well having one topside and one inside would work out? It might need more separation, but it should be a pretty potent combination!

Dutch

Got the sales sheet done for our new Truck and Trailer Package . For those with Trailers or 5th wheels. It will make it easy to move the amplifier from your tow vehicle to your RV.As it includes 2 sets of Antennas . Also finally got my power sources I have been waiting 3 years for that are 12 volt and 110 in the same power source. If any of my current customers want one . Just email me where to ship it too and I will get one out to you..New sheet for this package should be posted by my webmaster in the next few days.. Hope everyone had a great and safe holiday.

Keeping You Connected

As I've previously posted in this thread, my "home site" happens to be in an area with exceptionally good Verizon coverage so it's been difficult for me to test the effects of the MaxSignal amplifier. The unamplified signal is so strong that it has been hard to see the difference with the amp on or off.

Well, that's been the case, but it isn't any longer, now that Gord has furnished me with one of the new mag mount Super Max indoor antennas. The system is now a beast!

According to the app Signal Check Pro my signal is typically in the -104-109dBm range and my download speeds vary from ~10 - >50Mbps. With the new antenna at distances of ~10' from it I'm seeing RSRP strength of ~-100-104dBm which may not sound like much of an improvement but at these signal strengths not much amplification is needed. My SNR (signal to noise) is running 15-19dB.

What's really wild is when I walk the phone over to the immediate vicinity of the antenna (<2'). At that range you can see an enormous spike of 25-30dBm in signal strength with numbers in the -70dBm range. However, as it is supposed to, if you keep the phone at this close range you can see the system "hunting" and it will eventually restore it to the same -100-105dBm. As Gord has noted numerous times, the system is designed to use only that degree of amplification necessary for maintaining an excellent connection. There's no need for the phone to see a -70dBm signal in order for it to perform effectively.

As for measuring download speed, this morning my connection is having an "off day" and I'm seeing speeds of 12-14Mbps using Speedtest.net (through my WiFiRanger GoAC). With the amp running I think I'm seeing a small but statistically significant speed improvement on the order of 10%. It's the sort of small variation that is difficult to measure given the normal variability of the cellular system from moment to moment. Anyway, even as an off day it's well above what's needed to stream HD video!

I hope this helps others who are considering purchase of a Maximum Signal amp--amplification of 25-30dBm is pretty impressive IMHO. It's my understanding that the Super Max is about to enter production and should be available in time for next camping season.

BTW, the new antenna is rather heavy and I would be reluctant to mount it with Velcro if the coach were moving. At present it is stuck magnetically to my refrigerator door and what I plan to do is attach a small piece of ferrous metal to a spot on the ceiling where it will be permanently mounted. I happen to have several decorative wooden strips on the ceiling and it will be easy to put the metal plate on one of them. It has a very powerful magnet and I'm sure it will be quite secure with it as its attachment mechanism.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Hows does it compare to the Boatant Jack?

Hard to say, since I have not tested them against each other. But using them in the same area with the same devices I'd say the Boatant is better. It is pretty hard to beat that antenna.....it performs to specs, which are very good. But look at the price difference. The Boatant is not cheap.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Hard to say, since I have not tested them against each other. But using them in the same area with the same devices I'd say the Boatant is better. It is pretty hard to beat that antenna.....it performs to specs, which are very good. But look at the price difference. The Boatant is not cheap.

Could never use Boat Antenna Indoors. These are low profile and can be used indoors or outdoors, with multiple different mounting options . Now to get enough money to do a production run!

Keeping You Connected

Could never use Boat Antenna Indoors. These are low profile and can be used indoors or outdoors, with multiple different mounting options . Now to get enough money to do a production run!

Just to clarify here Gord, are we talking about an antenna to use from the amp to the tower, or from the amp to your phone?

Jack, I hear you about the cost, but if it bears our that the boatant is substantially greater performance I will spring the cost for it.

Just to clarify here Gord, are we talking about an antenna to use from the amp to the tower, or from the amp to your phone?

Jack, I hear you about the cost, but if it bears our that the boatant is substantially greater performance I will spring the cost for it.

The SuperMaxx works equally well on either side of the amplifier. I'm thinking of trying a SuperMaxx on both sides when more are available.

Dutch

The SuperMaxx works equally well on either side of the amplifier. I'm thinking of trying a SuperMaxx on both sides when more are available.

If that's true then its powerful magnet and low height would make it a lot more stable on the roof than the present outdoor antenna.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Because it is low profile it will be able to be used on either side. I am trying to figure out what upgrade fee will be . Probably 20 to 25 dollars per antenna. Like I said will come in at least 3 mounting options , Mag mount , Clamp mount or interior mount we are working on will be plastic base you can attach with screws or Velcro . It all costs money to produce.

Keeping You Connected

As the others said, the Supermax can be used on either side of the amp. You just have to make sure you maintain the proper distances or you will go into oscillation. And Gord is correct, you would not use a Boatant inside. It is pretty big. His antenna is perfect for inside, and really nice outside as well, since it is small and won't get knocked about as much.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Exactly, Jack! My 13" mag mount has gotten knocked over several times by low branches. I'm really looking forward to parking the lower profile, stronger magnet Supermaxx up there instead.

Dutch

Exactly, Jack! My 13" mag mount has gotten knocked over several times by low branches. I'm really looking forward to parking the lower profile, stronger magnet Supermaxx up there instead.

Right; my mag mount antenna gets knocked over at least once per season

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

User Experience. Consider this somewhat anecdotal.

I'm currently in SE KS out in the "hinterlands". Without assistance there is only 3G data here, and the phone barely works. That is a good phone (Note 5). Lesser phones do not work at all.

I set up the Mobile amp as a "house" amp (I'm staying in a house). The 13" mag mount antenna in a window on the "tower side" (on a pizza plate). The Super maxx is on top of the kitchen refrigerator at the front edge. That gives me an average of 18 dbi of gain. It takes data speeds from 2 kbps (note the K) on 3G to an average of 3.8 MBPS. That is not screaming, but the tower is deficient to start with, since speeds near it are only around 5-6 MBPS.

Why do I only see so little gain? The way these amps work, after hundreds of tests, is that the gain bounces. It will crank the gain up, and then adjust it down until the connection is solid. Or at least that seems to be the way it works, empirically. The weBoost -M with its provided antennas averages speeds of 1.85 MBPS. So I'd say the the Maxamp handily outperforms the weBoost in THIS set of circumstances, which I would call "challenging". To be fair, I have seen the weBoost outperform the Max in other circumstances. Mostly when it is closer to the towers. Id say the Max performs best when really challenged.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The way these amps work, after hundreds of tests, is that the gain bounces. It will crank the gain up, and then adjust it down until the connection is solid. Or at least that seems to be the way it works, empirically.

Thanks for validating the behavior that I have been seeing for months. I can instantaneously force the amp to deliver >20dB gain by moving the phone close to it, but, in a matter of seconds, it reduces the gain to what is adequate for keeping a good connection. Makes it really difficult to isolate what the amp is capable of unless you're in a situation like where you are where there is practically no signal to start with.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

User Experience. Consider this somewhat anecdotal.

I'm currently in SE KS out in the "hinterlands". Without assistance there is only 3G data here, and the phone barely works. That is a good phone (Note 5). Lesser phones do not work at all.

I set up the Mobile amp as a "house" amp (I'm staying in a house). The 13" mag mount antenna in a window on the "tower side" (on a pizza plate). The Super maxx is on top of the kitchen refrigerator at the front edge. That gives me an average of 18 dbi of gain. It takes data speeds from 2 kbps (note the K) on 3G to an average of 3.8 MBPS. That is not screaming, but the tower is deficient to start with, since speeds near it are only around 5-6 MBPS.

Why do I only see so little gain? The way these amps work, after hundreds of tests, is that the gain bounces. It will crank the gain up, and then adjust it down until the connection is solid. Or at least that seems to be the way it works, empirically. The weBoost -M with its provided antennas averages speeds of 1.85 MBPS. So I'd say the the Maxamp handily outperforms the weBoost in THIS set of circumstances, which I would call "challenging". To be fair, I have seen the weBoost outperform the Max in other circumstances. Mostly when it is closer to the towers. Id say the Max performs best when really challenged.

Performing how it is supposed to . This is what the carriers and The FCC want an amplifier to do . If you are close to the tower and signal is adequate they want your amplifier to turn itself down so as to not overpower the tower and adversely effect other users. I really appreciate your post on this Jack . It is really hard to explain to non technical folks . When challenged our amplifier really shows its stuff .

Keeping You Connected

So I'd say the the Maxamp handily outperforms the weBoost in THIS set of circumstances, which I would call "challenging". To be fair, I have seen the weBoost outperform the Max in other circumstances. Mostly when it is closer to the towers. Id say the Max performs best when really challenged.

Thanks for the update Jack. How far from the tower are you, and can we assume it's VZW?

Also, are you finding the outperformance better on voice calls too under those circumstances?

I'm over 10 miles from the tower in some challenging terrain. The voice performance on the amp is also much better. No breakups whatsoever on the amp. Off the amp you can get drops and breakups. The distance I can get from the inside unit and maintain good quality is farther on voice. On data you will see a performance drop if you push the distance too much. But on voice it seems less sensitive to distance, which does make sense.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack - Be interesting to see how the SuperMax does on receiving side, vs the 13" mag, with the first internal antenna doing inside duty.

Or do you have enough experience after working with these different combo's to not see a benefit in this?

TIA,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Jack - Be interesting to see how the SuperMax does on receiving side, vs the 13" mag, with the first internal antenna doing inside duty.

Or do you have enough experience after working with these different combo's to not see a benefit in this?

TIA,

Smitty

I was trying to maximize interior coverage since I have more than one person using this setup. I'll try the other iterations sometime, but frankly I have little available time at the moment. I'd like to get the exterior antenna "exterior" and high, as well. This combination can go into oscillation sometimes, even at the distance between the two. So I'm on the edge, so to speak.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived