Drivers License & Vehicle Regis. in Separate States

SKP62107

Our vehicles are registered in SD. It's time to renew our driver's licenses. However, we are in TX and don't plan to return to SD any time soon. We lease an RV lot in TX and don't plan to travel much any more, if any. Can we still maintain vehicle registration in SD but get our driver's licenses changed over to TX using the address of our TX leased lot? If so, is it legal?

Thanks.

You may want to contact SD vehicle office.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Our vehicles are registered in SD. It's time to renew our driver's licenses. However, we are in TX and don't plan to return to SD any time soon. We lease an RV lot in TX and don't plan to travel much any more, if any. Can we still maintain vehicle registration in SD but get our driver's licenses changed over to TX using the address of our TX leased lot? If so, is it legal?

Since you say that you don't plan to travel much any more...presumably, you'll be staying in Texas most of the time on your leased lot...why not just change your domicile over to Texas?

If I'm not mistaken, you must register your vehicles first before obtaining a Texas driver's license, so what you want to do probably isn't possible, anyway, even if it was a good idea, which it isn't. It's been a few years since we were domiciled in Texas, so someone who is currently domiciled in Texas can confirm or deny that vehicles must be registered before getting a driver's license.

You might be interested in reading this:

http://www.escapees.com/mailservice/Docs/texan.pdf

Even if you don't use the Escapees Mail Service, the steps would be the same regardless of where in Texas you live.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I don't know the Texas rules but many states require you to move drivers and vehicle licences if you are in the state for more than a some number of months per year.

In your situation I'd just move to Texas and be done with it, either your home address or using Escapees.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks.

If you plan to keep those vehicles in TX most of the year, parking them on that leased lot, you will need to move the registration and your driver's licenses to TX as well. It doesn't matter as long as you are traveling but once you stop for longer than 6 months you will be required to move the registration & licenses. Not every place does much to enforce the laws on the issue, but it could happen. Does your leased lot have an address? If so, then I would look at moving everything there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I believe TX requires vehicle registration in TX prior to taking the license test. I suppose you could register one and leave the remainder in SD, but if you are effectively living in TX, why would you want to do that? Vehicle Regis in TX is not a big deal.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

It sounds like moving everything to TX would be most logical in your situation. But just so all your options are on the table, if you call the SD DL Dept and request an extension, they will give you up to 6 months past your DL expiration date. It takes filling out a form giving your reason for an extension (via email), and they will mail you a formal letter to carry with your DL showing the approved extension date. They've done this for many fulltimers who are south and don't want to return to SD during winter months.

Jim

I thought you could renew a SD driver license online. If you are in a SnowBird/Winter Texan area, you'll probably be OK.

It is true that South Dakota has initiated an online driver's license renewal program. However, the requirements to do so make it almost impossible for fulltimers to meet; therefore, they're going to have to go back to the state, anyway, to get their licenses renewed.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

After paying $7k + to register the MH in Texas, having to mess with getting a class B license, the vehicle inspection hassle, I'd drive to SD from Bangladesh, before I'd settle on Texas as my domicile ! JMOO from a 3rd generation Texan.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

After paying $7k + to register the MH in Texas, having to mess with getting a class B license, the vehicle inspection hassle, I'd drive to SD from Bangladesh, before I'd settle on Texas as my domicile ! JMOO from a 3rd generation Texan.

Sales tax is required even in SD - less, but still something you would have to pay. Just the amount differs.

What mess with getting a Class B license? It is straight forward, you go take the written test, if you pass make an appointment for the driving test, which is no big deal if you can handle your rig. Hassle for vehicle inspection? What hassle? Takes ~20 minutes IF you are in the state - if not, you don't do it.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I thought you could renew a SD driver license online. If you are in a SnowBird/Winter Texan area, you'll probably be OK.

Newt

SD licenses can be renewed online IF yours is a "federally compliant" one (which is indicated by the presence of a yellow star in the upper right corner).

The only issue I noticed was that the SD motor vehicle website says that if you are a person who uses a PMB as an address then you must submit a campground receipt (just as you did when you first got your license) and that the receipt must be dated within the past year. If this is being enforced it effectively negates most of the online renewal benefit. I don't have to face this issue until 2016, but I'll need to understand it better then for sure.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

"After paying $7k + to register the MH in Texas"

I assume this is mainly sales tax on purchase. If you are moving it and yourself from another state you shouldn't have to pay sales tax again. Vehicle sales tax in TX is 6.25% which is higher than many.

"After paying $7k + to register the MH in Texas"

I assume this is mainly sales tax on purchase. If you are moving it and yourself from another state you shouldn't have to pay sales tax again. Vehicle sales tax in TX is 6.25% which is higher than many.

Actually, many states can (and do) charge "use" tax on a vehicle bought in another state even if some sales tax was paid on that sale. It depends upon the state and the circumstances of the sale. Here is an interesting conversation on the topic:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington/1627229-sales-tax-car-purchased-another-state.html

And here is a link to the way the law works in WA:

http://dor.wa.gov/Content/GetAFormOrPublication/PublicationBySubject/TaxTopics/OutOfStateVehicles.aspx

It may be different in TX; but probably not. :P

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

It's been fairly common in sales tax states for buyers and sellers to prepare a "Bill of Sale" for a used vehicle that bears no resemblance to the actual amount paid for the car. The buyer then presents the Bill of Sale to the licensing department and pays tax based on that document.

This, at least in Washington, may be a thing of the past. I bought my 1999 Jeep Wrangler for $4,000 cash a couple years ago. It was a great price even though the Jeep was a little beat up (a "plus" in my mind for a Jeep... "pre-scratched"). The previous owner was starting a welding business and had fabricated his own set of rock sliders, front bumper and a new roll cage and had lifted it 4". But the local licensing agent told me I had to pay "use" tax on $7,500 for that 1999 4-cylinder 2-door soft-top Jeep Wrangler JK because that was what they claimed it was worth.

The Bill of Sale, which was actually accurate (for a change) was useless. They've become cynical abut those, I guess.

In order NOT to pay sales tax on almost double what I actually paid for the car I had to come up with a believable value closer to the mark. Fortunately, the tax agent pointed me to another price guide that listed my TJ at $4,500. Still more than I actually paid but a lot less than the $7,500.

So I ponied up the money and walked out with my registration.

The workings of the tax collection agencies are wondrous to behold....

WDR

Ham Radio

If a vehicle has been registered in another state, then for Texas all you pay is a $90 new resident fee plus the registration for the current year.

Barb

Note section F of this site: http://www.bellcountytx.com/county_government/tax_assessor-collector/out_of_state.php

WDR

Ham Radio

You need to look at the instructions for the form:

New Texas residents are subject to a $90 use tax on a vehicle brought into this state that was previously registered to the new resident in another state or foreign country. This is in lieu of the 6.25 percent use tax imposed on a Texas resident.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

You need to look at the instructions for the form:

I can see how bigjim might miss that. The main page makes no distinction between "new" TX residents and current TX residents. To get to that you have to look up the tax form itself. And the link is broken...

WDR

Ham Radio

Barb,I live here, and KNOW what a hassle it is to run around to the 3 places in Livingston to get an inspection and find ALL of the places out of stickers...3 times last year. I went to the DL place in Livingston to ask a question as to WHEN I could do the on CDL class B, there is NO literature out front for this weirdo license.....enter your cell number at the electronic kiosk and we'll txt you when we have time to talk (what if you have no cell phone), I do that, enter my number and get an immediate txt....waiting time will be approximately 238 minutes ! I figure they can stick their license where the sun will not reach it....for 238 minutes.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

There is nothing to say you have to take your DL license tests in Livingston. In fact we chose to do ours in Tyler because they have the computers for the written test (once you have 14 correct the test stops - just skip the question if you aren't sure and go on to the next question. And they scheduled the driving test (ours was the next day) after you have finished the written one. A simple phone call will determine whether or not someone is available to do the inspection - never had a problem in any town in Texas, but then I always called (or a couple of times stopped by and asked if they could do it the next day) because I didn't want to unhook if there would be a delay.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived