11 replies to this topic

#1 BooneDocks

BooneDocks

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1187 posts
  • SKP#:107550

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

When I launched Foxfi today, I saw some sort of notice that it wouldn't work with Android version 4.4 (KitKat) and that if Foxfi is important to me I may not want to accept the Android update.  A bit of research says that they haven't yet figured out how to make Foxfi work with 4.4.  Here is a link to the compatibility list of Foxfi showing the devices that will not work with Foxfi/Android 4.4.  If you want your Foxfi, be careful not yet launching this Android update. 

Yep, George, forgot the link:   http://pdanet.co/help/devices.php

Edited by BooneDocks, 09 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue Towing a 2006 Ford Focus Wagon
Follow Our Full-Time Travels Through Our Blog

#2 GzrGldGeo

GzrGldGeo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 667 posts
  • SKP#:106686

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I just upgraded to 4.1.2-5.  I am surprised another update is that quickly on the horizon. 

Thanks for the heads up.  FoxFi will figure it out, they always do. 

BTW, I don't see your link. 

George Roberts
1994 40' Bluebird Wanderlodge WLWB 500 HP Detroit Diesel 8v92
Towed: 2008 Jeep Sahara Limited Hardtop 4 X 4
Blog: Not a Moment Too Soon

#3 GzrGldGeo

GzrGldGeo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

I found the link.

http://foxfi.com/help/devices.php

I like the disclaimer.
"The list below may not be complete or accurate."

George Roberts

#4 wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat

• Validated Members
  • 465 posts
  • SKP#:114262

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'm not certain that the list in the link is all that accurate. I have a Droid Bionic running 4.1.2 and it runs FoxFi just fine.

Craig

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

#5 GzrGldGeo

GzrGldGeo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

FoxFi is working fine on my Droid Rzr at 4.1.2-5. even though it says unsupported.
George Roberts

#6 AprilWhine

AprilWhine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 505 posts
  • SKP#:106402

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

That's an old list ;)

I have read on the Android forums that PDAnet does not work in Wifi mode on Kitkat, but will still work tethered or through bluetooth. My Samsung GS3 is still on Jellybean but I will update to Kitkat when it's pushed. As a work around until PDAnet is updated, I will connect to my computer through a USB tether then use Connectify to set up a Wifi network for our tablets. 

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV

OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman

The choices available to you at 65 are a result of choices you made at 25

#7 bigmike

bigmike

• Validated Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

That's an old list ;)

I have read on the Android forums that PDAnet does not work in Wifi mode on Kitkat, but will still work tethered or through bluetooth. My Samsung GS3 is still on Jellybean but I will update to Kitkat when it's pushed. As a work around until PDAnet is updated, I will connect to my computer through a USB tether then use Connectify to set up a Wifi network for our tablets.

I have another issue. Running android 4.2 on a phone we just picked up, Galaxy Nexus. Foxfi supposed to be supported according to their list. Running same 4.2 droid build on my Motorolla Razr and Foxfi works fine. Now the puzzle. On the Samsung-the Foxfi is "seen" by the computer. But when you go to connect, it simply will not connect to the internet. But at the same time, this same phone and foxfi will connect with no problem to the tablet. And tether will work fine. And the PC recognizes the same foxfi Wi-Fi from my Razr.

So, because it works on the tablet but not the PC, I'm thinking it must be a PC issue and not the phone? But on the other hand, the PC Wi-Fi is working fine from the other phone, and any other Wi-Fi from the parks etc. No response from PDA. Don't know what to think.

What is connectify?

2014 F350 Dually Lariat 4x4
2013 Excel LTD 36RKM
Sir Reginald the cat who lets Big Mike and Jean travel with him

#8 AprilWhine

AprilWhine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

I have another issue. Running android 4.2 on a phone we just picked up, Galaxy Nexus. Foxfi supposed to be supported according to their list. Running same 4.2 droid build on my Motorolla Razr and Foxfi works fine. Now the puzzle. On the Samsung-the Foxfi is "seen" by the computer. But when you go to connect, it simply will not connect to the internet. But at the same time, this same phone and foxfi will connect with no problem to the tablet. And tether will work fine. And the PC recognizes the same foxfi Wi-Fi from my Razr.

So, because it works on the tablet but not the PC, I'm thinking it must be a PC issue and not the phone? But on the other hand, the PC Wi-Fi is working fine from the other phone, and any other Wi-Fi from the parks etc. No response from PDA. Don't know what to think.

What is connectify?

Here's a link to Connectify, it's not cheap: Connectify

Silly question, but you have tried rebooting the phone? I had that problem regularly with my Razr Maxx and a reboot fixed it every time. If you have rebooted it, next step would be to reinstall PDAnet to the phone. At the same time, go ahead and reset the network adapter on the pc, do that from the connection troubleshooting wizard. 

I searched the Droid forums to see if this was a specific problem, but didn't get any hits.

OR

#9 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 9046 posts
  • SKP#:50964

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

April,

Thanks for the link. It had a lifetime license code when I went there making a lifetime license $33.00. That was for hotspot pro and dispatch pro. I don't do cell dependent connectivity but checked it as a tool for the future. Here is the page which I think will show the same price I saw.:

http://www.connectif...upon=WINTER2014

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

#10 AprilWhine

AprilWhine

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

April,

Thanks for the link. It had a lifetime license code when I went there making a lifetime license $33.00. That was for hotspot pro and dispatch pro. I don't do cell dependent connectivity but checked it as a tool for the future. Here is the page which I think will show the same price I saw.:

http://www.connectif...upon=WINTER2014

Thanks RV. I had previously purchased a lifetime license, I think it was $30 at the time. What I meant by "not cheap" is that it is considerably more than PDAnet/Foxfi. :) 

OR

#11 RV

RV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 9046 posts
  • SKP#:50964

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

YW

No prob April!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

#12 Budd

Budd

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3131 posts
  • SKP#:88936

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Theynow are experimenting with Switchboard. This offering setsup high speed servers in various places that have very high bandwidth connections to the Internet. On your computer end, you run the Switchboard app. This aggregates all your internet traffic into indiidual packets which it then sends to / from the server you pick. From then on, all the traffic at the PC end is spread across all the connectivity your system sees from it's end. Unlike dedicated ports which are allocated by application, Switchboard spreads all communications across all paths dynamically. This gives the effect of load balancing all traffic by packet rather than by application so if a particular use is, say, media or Skype, then it spreads all packets across the total available bandwidth. The server on the other end does all the multiplexing and parsing to give you the greatest possible throughput.

It is still kinda rough as they tweak it but now is the time to get into the cheaper pricing for the future... like they did with Connectify and Dispatch.

For the most part, I have successfully worked video hangouts through Switchboard when my Campground feed was less than 100kbps... at best.  I used 4 wifi adapters on the PC and Switchboard connected them all to their Switchboard server in Dallas. My effective through put gradually improved to a pretty solid 1.5mbps and the hangouts were quite smooth.  

Their Dispatch pro aggregates all of your connectivity into a combined bandwidth, too, but it does it by thread not by packet and though it does try to do load balancing it is not nearly so effective in the typical campground wifi systems we have been working through as we travel.   

I am not saying that this is something everyone should have but I have found when I was out of options for connectivity, I was almost always able to work out something that got me what I needed by using a combination of connectify, dispatch and/or Switchboard.

Interesting software tools for connectivty but they are neither intuitive nor completely automatic. The user must have some sense of what is really wanted to apply them successfully and productively.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise