• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

We just discovered that most Tractor Supply stores have propane. The one we went to in TN had the best price in town.

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20290 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

Do they fill both bottles and motorhome tanks? I'd gather that it isn't the Blue Rhino bottle exchange?

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

Not sure about motorhomes but they did fill our trailer tank, it is not an exchange of tanks. Actually, I have never seen an exchange for trailer tanks only for barbeque tanks.

#4 whj

whj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 897 posts
  • SKP#:106033

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

The Tractor Supply in Porter, TX, HWY 59 about 30 miles NNE of Houston, sometimes sells it for $1.99 per gallon.

Other times it is $2.29 per gallon. It is one of the cheapest places that I have found. They fill the tanks not a bottle exchange

but I don't know about filling tanks on a MH.

#5 Teri_WI

Teri_WI

• Validated Members
  • 200 posts
  • SKP#:111148

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

I have gone to these places for my on board tank but because it is older and does not have the automatic shutoff at 80% (RVs are exempt from converting to this safety feature) I am having trouble finding one that will fill the tank. Twice now at two places despite telling them not to fill too full and no auto shutoff at 80% it appears the fill valve is stuck open and releases propane for an hour before it quits. So they no longer want to fill the RV onboard tanks.

Anyone else have this issue.

#6 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20290 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have gone to these places for my on board tank but because it is older and does not have the automatic shutoff at 80% (RVs are exempt from converting to this safety feature) I am having trouble finding one that will fill the tank.

I'm not sure what you mean by this???   Propane tanks in motorized vehicles have been required to have a "stop fill" vale in them since the 50's. That is the reason that they were not required to go through the upgrade a few years back when that feature became required in the portable or SAE bottles. Recertification is not required for DOT tanks as it is every 12 years for SAE.

How about a little more information on the issue that you have?

dolphins.jpg

#7 Teri_WI

Teri_WI

• Validated Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

I was told by the place I had my propane filled a couple of days ago with this issue that the older RVs do not have automatic safety stop valves and are exempt and mine appears does not.   I have had it checked out at our propane company locally a year or so ago and they said it was fine and I don't have to worry about the recertification but it sounds like I need to insist that the automatic safety stop at 80% needs to be added.  It is a tight space under the drivers step in my 96 Class B so they probably don't want to work on it.   Sorry I can't be more info.

#8 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20290 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

I have had it checked out at our propane company locally a year or so ago and they said it was fine and I don't have to worry about the recertification but it sounds like I need to insist that the automatic safety stop at 80% needs to be added.

How old is your RV? As I said, the DOT tanks which is what you have in the Roadtrek, have had a "stop fill" valve since the 50's. You do not need to have anything done to it as that valve is already in the tank. What you need to do is to believe the tech from the propane dealer's shop. I would bet you that your propane tank has that valve now and was built long after the requirement was put into effect for motor vehicle propane tanks. 

EDIT:   I just realized that perhaps you missed part of what I am saying. The 80% valve that you are mentioning is what the industry calls a "stop fill" valve. It is a mechanical valve with a float that closes and prevents more filling when the liquid level in the propane tank reaches 80%.

Edited by Kirk, 23 October 2013 - 11:09 AM.

dolphins.jpg

#9 Teri_WI

Teri_WI

• Validated Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

It is a 96. My stop fill valve if it supposed to cut off at 80% is not working unless it is supposed to vent itself for an hour after they overfill it. They seem to think it is unusual. It does not happen with every fill but I always tell them it will not stop at 80% and maybe not everyone hits that mark. Both times this occurred I had it checked at the propane company but they really did just a quick look. They won't fill me again at the farm and home center or the rv place in arizona so next time I need a fill I will go direct to the propane company.

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20290 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

If the problem is gas from the vent, then the vent must be the problem. There is a relief valve for over pressure but that isn't going to lift just because the tank is a small amount over the 80% level. The operator is not supposed to rely on the stop fill valve when he fills the tank anyway, although some of them do so. If gas comes from the vent I suspect that the vent is the problem. Take it to a qualified propane service shop and point out to them exactly where this problem vapor escape takes place. It does sound like there may be a problem with the tank, but it is not a lack of the proper valves. I would want to know what is happening and the reason why.  It may be that the vent valve needs to be replaced and a qualified shop can do that for you.

dolphins.jpg

#11 Teri_WI

Teri_WI

• Validated Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thank you
I always find your posts helpful

#12 dmcb

dmcb

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1220 posts
  • SKP#:56200

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Tractor Supply near us in Michigan and Florida have an exchange and they also fill a customers tank which is much cheaper. I have found them to be the cheapest place in town.

They do not fill motorhomes however.

If you have one of the older tanks that has the wrong valve, you can exchange them there. You pay the exchange price plus an additional $5.00. Really a sweet deal when you pick up an older tank at a yard sale for almost nothing.

I can't say they all do this but my local one does. I wouldn't have known but I was getting 3 or 4 bottles filled and got an old one by mistake.

Doug

#13 Pensauncola

Pensauncola

• Validated Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

I have bought propane at Tractor Supply, but definitely all of them do not sell propane.  Local laws may limit some of them from offering it.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift.............that's why they call it the present.

#14 jbh

jbh

• Validated Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

We went to the Commerce, Ga. Tractor Supply for a fill (motorhome); they would do it but required that all people and animals be removed from the unit. Since we hadn't brought along the crates for our three cats we went elsewhere.

We're used to having no humans in the MH while being filled but that was the first time anyone had asked about animals. I guess someone had a bad experience.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

#15 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Local TS went from filling to exchanging last year. Not sure if they would fill an RV, I have portable bottles. Last place around here that fills is a U-haul place.

Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.

#16 wingerphil

wingerphil

• Validated Members
  • 297 posts
  • SKP#:99100

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

We went to the Commerce, Ga. Tractor Supply for a fill (motorhome); they would do it but required that all people and animals be removed from the unit. Since we hadn't brought along the crates for our three cats we went elsewhere.

We're used to having no humans in the MH while being filled but that was the first time anyone had asked about animals. I guess someone had a bad experience.

When we work camped at a KOA one of our jobs was refilling LP tanks. The local LP supplier trained us and part of that training was all living things (any and all pets included) had to be out of the motorhome and all appliances off before we could hook up the hose.

Edited by wingerphil, 23 October 2013 - 10:09 PM.

http://workinrvers.blogspot.com
2002 Winnebago Journey DL
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide
2007 Dodge Dakota

#17 Les Richards

Les Richards

• Validated Members
  • 38 posts
  • SKP#:105230

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Filled our class A at tractor supply in Redmond Oregon for 1.80$ a gallon Two weeks ago.  Cheapest we had seen.

2000 Dutch Star Gasser

07 Saturn Ion

#18 Michael Sroufe

Michael Sroufe

• Validated Members
  • 167 posts
  • SKP#:70814

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

Having people out the the rig and all appliance pilots off is the law as far as my propane training went. It's safety issue and a good one at that. Just like turning off the propane at the tank when fueling your rig to avoid a possible fire and or explosion. These are rare, but it is good to always err on the side of safety. 

Have fun on the road ~
Michael and Terry

#19 Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

This has been on the news for a couple of days - first as a possible bomb -

then the real story came out.................'bomb' - well, yeah.........

http://www.latimes.c...ollywood-truck-

blast-police-say

http://www.nbclosang...228754351.html#

http://www.dailynews...huffing-propane

1.  Incredibly stupid doper!  - (an obvious oxymoron - errr - *propane* moron, LOL!)

2.  Awesome destruction of the pickup! - (see the photo gallery in the 2nd link)

3,  Source of ignition was spark when he plugged his cell phone into cigarette lighter.socket......

And...........the guy walked away, refused medical care!!.. :wacko:

Edited by Leadfoot, 24 October 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#20 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Give that man a Darwin Award honorary mention.

Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.