Photo

Chromecast - Anyone use one on 3G - Thoughts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts
  • SKP#:103139

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

I just got a Google Chromecast dongle at Best Buy for $35.00 and it works great with my Milenicon MiFi (4G - 20GB plan)

Problem is it works to well and I may get a nastygram from Milenicom over usage if I keep watching all those NetFlix, YouTube programs, CNN, etc.

What if I switch my MiFi to that Sprint 3G Unlimited Plan so I don't have to worry about usage.  Anyone use one of these Chromecast dongles on a 3G system.  Do they work as well (i.e. no buffering!)

#2 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 5050 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Sprint may be "unlimited" but if you read the contact, you can use too much bandwidth and be throttled down.  But with Sprint you have less territorial coverage and because they allow "unlimited" use, their towers are often overloaded so overuse of nandwidth may not be a problem.

The way to get video for an RVer is via satellite or OTA.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2014 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 965 posts
  • SKP#:116650

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

If you have the 20gb plan I believe you are using verizon. Did they require you to purchase your original device from them?. Is so definitely verizon. Probably not compatible with sprint
Ron C.
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3
2000 Kenworth T2000

#4 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 19170 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

I have a Chromecast and use it occasionally with my Verizon data plan. I don't have Millenicom at the moment. But it can use LOTS of data. LOTS.....depending on what you do. So I do not use mine on a metered connection. Which makes it less useful, for sure.  I do like it for YouTube, though, and that does not use an excessive amount. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#5 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Decided to use my grandfathered Verizon 3G unlimited account to test the Chromecast.  Ran into a small hick-up trying to set it up - (I use an old Verizon(Pantech) UM-175VW USB modem plugged into a Cradelpoint MBR-1000 router.)

Using the Cradelpoint MBR1000 wireless router (And I suspect the 350) - When connecting a Google Chromecast to the router, it connects fine but shows on the TV an error that it is connected to the router but cannot access the internet.   This is because the MBR-1000, by default, requires confirmation of Internet Access Authorization by entering the ADMIN password the first time a connected device attempts to access the internet. 

However, since Chromecast is just a HDMI dongle there is no way to enter a password through chromecast (Nor even see the P/W entry screen normally sent by the MBR-1000.)

This "required authentication" feature of the MBR-1000 is a toggle and can be turned off without making the router an open network.   Log into the MBR-1000 as administrator,  Under Basic select Setup Wizzard, on tyhe second screen - un-check the box where it says require authentication for internet access.  Finish the Wizard and allow the router to reboot.  Chromecast will suddenly access the Internet and give you "Ready to Cast"

As to it's use under 3G - Seems to work fine.  Only a couple short buffering occurrences in 1/2 Hr viewing when watching a HD 1020P Netflix movie and I am accessing the internet in parallel on the laptop.

So far - So good!   Since Vzn meters my usage even under the unlimited I'll be able to see how much bandwith I actually consume with this thing. 

#6 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2885 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

When we stream Netflix on a 3G connection I usually set the data rate in the Netflix Account Settings to the lowest of the three choices. The picture is still watchable and it seems to override some of Netflix's automatic data rate adjustment. For the kind of shows we like to watch (mostly foreign TV mystery series) the picture quality is fine. Even doing this, it takes a connection of ~1 Mbps or more in order to keep the number of "buffering" delays to a reasonable number.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#7 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

I got an email from millenicom yesterday regarding a question I asked them . I wanted to know if I could get their unlimited sprint plan and some how connect their USB device into a wireless router. Their answer was to purchase a Sprint hotspot such as a Sierra Tri-Fi and sign up for a BYOD unlimited plan...then he added that that has a 50 gig soft cap. 50 gigs is quite a bit...I figured approx 100 hrs plus using my IPad for streaming. I can also transfer from IPad to TV using Apple TV device.

....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#8 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1354 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

The only problem is sprint's coverage sucks in the west.

....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#9 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have  the 20GB 4G Millenicom MiFi account.  Just checked my Milenicom MiFi 4G usage for Sept - 27.5GB (And no nastygram from Milenicom)

Question: If I throttle my MiFi back to 3G during streaming does the data streamed at 3G count toward my monthly 20GB cap?

I suspect data is data but I was hoping 3G data didn't count. ;-)  Anyone tried that tactic?

#10 Joe

Joe

• Validated Members
  • 173 posts
  • SKP#:74321`

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just put one in the Roadtrek, it does not like my Droid Bionic as a Remote and is flaky for the Vizio tab using Netflix. You can cut the gigs used in Netflix to 1/3 to 1/2 a gig per hour by loging in to your Netflix account and changing the video quality settings. Prior to this I just used the HDMI output on the Bionic and may go back to that, in the DesertFox I use a Roku box, but its tvs require an inverter and I was looking for a 12volt solution for the Trek.
1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel
2005 DesertFox 28KS
The toy is the wife's sewing machines
1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile
"...traveled the same road as many..."