Tires

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JKTexas

JKTexas

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

I purchase a pristine used Cedar Creek 29 RE fifth wheel a year ago. The original owner used it for two trips and decided RV'ng wasn't for him. The tags were still on the Lazy Boy recliners.

Our first trip went well. On our second trip we had a blowout returning home. No problem...Good Sam roadside assistance fixed us up.

We were just departing on our third trip and we had another blowout 15 miles from home.This time the tire damaged the lower panel on the rig. We got fixed up and immediately went to my tire guy and said I wanted to replace all four tires with the best money could buy. We put Carlisle tires on it and have gone 10,000 + miles with no issues at all.

When the tires were being replaced I was informed that the 29 RE had Chinese tires on it.  My question is; Did the dealer switch out the OEM tires or does Cedar Creek put Chinese tires on $3,000 RV's.

Does anyone have a comment?

Thanks

#2 trailertraveler

trailertraveler

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Most 5th wheels and travel trailers come with ST tires (special trailer tires) as OEM equipment. Many brands of ST  tires, even Goodyears, are manufactured in China. Some have better reputations than others. The country of manufacture for each brand changes from time to time, but when I shopped for tires this Spring, there were only a very few brands of ST tires that were not manufactured in China. If you read the RV forums, you will see a lot of recommendations and debate about using LT (light truck tires) versus ST tires.

There are a number of reasons in addition to tire quality that result in trailer tire failure. Many RV manufacturers use OEM tires that are rated very close to the maximum weight capacity of the axles. Many RVs, especially light weight trailers and 5th wheels are overloaded by their owners, so this results in the tires being overloaded. Low tire pressure can also result in overloading and tire failure. Many trailer owners do not realize that ST tires are speed rated at 65MPH and that operation above that speed can damage the integrity of the tire. Rubbing the sidewall, jumping curbs and other road hazards can also damage tires and result in blowouts. When a trailer tire blows out, the other tires and particularly the other tire on the same side is overloaded and quickly damaged. If not replaced, this tire will fail prematurely and the other tire of the pair will be damaged and a cycle of repeating failures results and often the tire manufacturer is blamed.

On edit: Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

Edited by trailertraveler, 24 September 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#3 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21532 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

If you buy tires based upon low price they will nearly always be made "off shore."   Most manufacturers use cheap everything! :huh:

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#4 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1172 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

They need to make fivers that can use the 22.5 tires that semis use ....then they might last.

....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#5 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17903 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

That would require an extra step up into the fiver, not going to move off the dealer's lot with a drawback like that.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#6 whj

whj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 992 posts
  • SKP#:106033

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I have been told that most all TT/fivers come with China made ST tires.

#7 hydehunter1

hydehunter1

• Validated Members
  • 92 posts
  • SKP#:110745

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

do like I did and fix the problem of 16" blow apart tires. 215/75-17.5 16 ply tires this will fix your blow out problem.aq friend jsut had his 9th 16" tire blow and it did 33,000 in damage to his rig he did not listen.

#8 TXiceman

TXiceman

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1059 posts
  • SKP#:108682

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

We went to the H rated 17.5' tires and new rims on our Cameo.  The little extra is not worth the chance of trailer damage that can far exceed the cost of good tires over cheap tires.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38 RLRSB, 2012 F350 6.7L, <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

#9 SuiteSuccess

SuiteSuccess

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1533 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

JK,

A majority of mid level trailers come with poor quality tires. As above the " better" solution is going to 17.5 inch tires either Goodyear G114s or Michellins. However, on my kids Jayco we took the "Mission" tires off and put 16 inch Maxxis on. A lot of blowouts are due to under inflation for the load and heat generation. I have had Maxxis on two trailers and never had a problem, knock on wood.
2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift
Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"
2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3
2008 Ford F450 "Big Boy"
2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires