Permanent address while full time rving

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 bruce44

bruce44

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

I am on medicare with uhc as a backup. I am full time rving so I have a mailing address.

UHC says it is not in the area where I signed up so they will drop me. What can I do to

make them understand I am traveling and this is only a mailing address. I am so confused.

Thank you for any help. I would also like any advice you might give to a recent full time rv

person.

#2 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4959 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Do you use your mailing address as the address for your licenses, registrations, etc.  If it is, then that is you address for insurance purposes too.

If you have a residence address that is different , that is what the insurance company should use.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2014 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#3 jblscooper

jblscooper

• Validated Members
  • 341 posts
  • SKP#:32353

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Is this just a mailing address or your legal domicile?

#4 Ron and Elena

Ron and Elena

• Validated Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

I am full time rving so I have a mailing address.

UHC says it is not in the area where I signed up so they will drop me. 

Assuming you claim your mailing address as your domicile like most full-timers then I don't believe there is anything you can do but change ins. companies or change domiciles.  We faced the same problem when we "moved" from CA to SD.  We resolved it by selecting a domicile that had insurance coverage we could live with even though not our favored plan from CA.  There are always trade-offs to be made.

Ron Engelsman
http://www.mytripjou...com/our_odyssey
Full-Timing since mid 2007
23' Komfort TT
2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

#5 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21907 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

I am on medicare with uhc as a backup. I am full time rving so I have a mailing address. UHC says it is not in the area where I signed up so they will drop me. What can I do to make them understand I am traveling and this is only a mailing address.

As others have mentioned, there is more than one issue at stake here. Do you have a permanent address which is used on your driver's license, vehicle registration, and other insurance? All of those require a permanent address and under the law must be done at your physical home. If you moved those to the place where you receive your mail, which I am assuming is a different state than where you now get your Medicare supplemental insurance, then legally you have moved your residence.

At present, insurance companies are licensed in the state where they operate and are not allowed to sell coverages across state lines. In addition, there are differing degrees of risk from one local to another and so premiums vary by location. In the future it is said that the new health care laws will be changing that, but for now it is the law for licensing and each state controls the insurance sales inside of it's borders. In addition, the insurance companies are still allowed to make the rules about who they will write coverage for and so unless you have some permanent address to give the company, you will probably have to move your coverage. It really isn't a case of them understanding it is a case of their rules and licensing. They are probably looking for some form of proof that you really do live in their prescribed area. If by UHC you mean United Health Care, you can get it in most, if not all states but you will need to get it via the state of residence and the premium may be different.

Domicile is actually a legal term and is not defined in the law but is determined by a court if a suit involving the issue should arise. It is determine by the combination of all business and living activities that a person does. In the case of fulltimers it can be unclear, but for most people it is pretty simple because we do most everything in one location, where our stick homes are. I suggest that you might find it useful to read this article from Escapee's Magazine about domiciles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#6 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1112 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

It's best to look for a supplement to Medicare that allows you to use any doctor or medical facility throughout the country. You'll want a PPO not a HMO. We've had multiple surgeries in various states and have never paid anything. Many things may change with Obamacare.....

Full-timers for 16 Years.; Now Seasonal
2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

#7 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1467 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Even though we had a permanent address, we were also dropped because it was clear by our claims that we did not spend at least six months at that address. We found another company with higher premiums that said they didn't care where we were as long as we did have a permanent address. See Kirks discussion--you do have to have a permanent address, not just a mailing address. They can, if you set it up right, be the same.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#8 Wandering1

Wandering1

• Validated Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

Sounds like you have an advantage plan. Switch to a supplement which is good everywhere.

Wandering1

#9 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4959 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Yes, if you have an Advantage plan, it is an HMO like plan and therefore regional. 

Advantage plans are going away anyways as the 15% additional payments to the insurance companies for Advantage plans are targeted by the Affordable Care Act .  This is not a political statement but one of fact.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2014 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21907 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

. I would also like any advice you might give to a recent full time rvperson.

What sort of other advice are you looking for? You may find some of the answers just by reading these forums but if not, feel free to ask anything RV related or lifestyle related.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#11 Rick & Karen

Rick & Karen

• Validated Members
  • 422 posts
  • SKP#:98156

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

When we went on the road full time three years ago we made the decision to become Texans again and selected Livingston, and Escapees mail service as our domicile address. Before we left Missouri I made contact with Gerald Heinrich at Heinrich and Associates for help in choosing my Medicare supplement. He was terrific and am so glad that I used his company. By the way he is a commercial member of Escapees. While on the road I have had care from several doctors and one hospitalizations and between Medicare and my supplement have not had to pay a cent out of pocket. One thing I learned from this site on previous discussions is that you must select a policy that will travel with you and be good in any state!

So perhaps you need to select a different state as your domicile or simply another insurance company, but I would definitely recommend that you choose an agent who is knowledgeable about the full time RV lifestyle. Also, if you choose Texas please give Gerald a call. He is wonderful!

Safe travels,
Karen
2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver
2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods
2005 Ranger Bass Boat;
Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren