• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 elainelw

elainelw

• All Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hi, 

Most definitions of RVs say they aren't intended for permanent residency. Even Wikipedia says "RVs are not designed to standards which permit safe full-time living. Many states Department of Insurance do not recommend or authorize the use of RV's/Motorhomes as permanent dwellings."  

My understanding is that there is a limit to the length a person can stay in any one RV park, at least in some states. My experience was with California, where the limit was six months, at least in the parks I contacted.

I see some parks linked to this site offer leases and annual maintenance fees. So it is possible to stay all year round, in one park, on the same lot?

Thanks for your help!

Elaine

#2 MidMi

MidMi

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 569 posts
  • SKP#:107324

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Yes. Most RV parks that I've been to have a few permanent residences. You can often get a discount for long term stays of 6 months or longer. I'm not familiar with CA laws.

Edited by MidMi, 15 September 2013 - 04:36 PM.

Arizona for a spell.

1995 HR Endeavor LE, 36' 460 Ford with Banks Systems
2005 PT Cruiser, 5-speed, ragtop

#3 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6217 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Most parts of this country have good weather for about six months of the year so that's how long most RVers want to stay. Here in Minnesota most parks turn the water off just before the first hard freeze and don't turn it back on until after the last forecast hard freeze. Thus, our parks are typically open April 15th to October 15th. In the far south most people think it gets too hot in the summer to stay there so those parks are typically open for the six months of winter. That's why there are so many snowbirds and sunbirds. Yes, there are people who manage to stay all year in one place but it generally takes extra effort to be able to do so.

Linda Sand

2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#4 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1250 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

We have stayed in quite a few Rv parks in AZ, Nev., NM, where there are people who are permanent residents...been there for years.

....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#5 Big Greg

Big Greg

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 772 posts
  • SKP#:96353

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

If I were going to live full time in an RV park and do not yet have an RV I would get a "park model" with a residential fridge, toilet, all on one floor, and low/easier entry from outside.  Many RV parks/campgrounds have permanent residents, Escapee parks too.    Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

#6 elainelw

elainelw

• All Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have heard of people living full time in park models, but not RVs. Many of my friends want to find a place to live in a tiny house like this: http://www.fourlightshouses.com/

but tiny houses are heavier and more expensive to move than a regular RV, so once in an RV park, they'd like to be able to stay, not move every few months. Tiny houses have more insulation, too, and can be comfortable even in very cold or hot weather.

It sounds like AZ, NV and NM might be the best states to explore.

#7 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2538 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

There is no universal answer for length of stay in RV parks all over the USA.  State and local laws vary widely.  Parks in a touristy area may not have monthly or longer rates.  They prefer the daily/weekly rates to presumably make more money.  As mentioned above, parks in cold areas routinely open April 15 and close October 15.  Most National Parks in cold areas do the same. Some areas have laws about how many/% permanent guests a RV park can have before being reclassified as a Mobile Home park, with different  regulations.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#8 Dutch & Di

Dutch & Di

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1251 posts
  • SKP#:48048

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

Sorry--duplicate post.  Hugs, Di

Edited by Dutch & Di, 17 September 2013 - 08:35 PM.

SKP #48048
2014 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever & DeBoe Slide Step Dealers
http://www.plugitrig...hwheelREDO.html      e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

#9 Dutch & Di

Dutch & Di

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1251 posts
  • SKP#:48048

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

We've lived in our 38'triple slide Carriage for 17 years fulltime, no other dwellings.  We are quite comfortable in it.  While we are not ready to "sit" in one spot long term, but if the time came, we would probably rent or buy a lot either off by itself on in a park that offered "permanent" sites and be quite comfortable as we have plenty of room and all of the amenities already.  Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2014 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever & DeBoe Slide Step Dealers
http://www.plugitrig...hwheelREDO.html      e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

#10 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1461 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

You may also be confusing state residency laws with park rules. Many states do have laws that say if you live there over six months you must become a resident of that state and start paying income taxes, registering RV's, driver's licenses, etc. Some RV parks do have such rules because they don't want a lot of permanent residents and want to keep their parks open for sunbirds, snowbirds, etc.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#11 AC7880

AC7880

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1464 posts
  • SKP#:101097

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

SKP co-ops often have RVs that stay more than 12 months.

Dan - SKP club member

1994 Bluebird BMC 37'
http://2toomanycats.blogspot.com/

#12 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6217 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

It's my understanding that the four lights houses do not have storage tanks so cannot be parked in most RV parks. They require residential plumbing just like park models do. Which is fine if you are heading to a park set up for that.

Linda Sand

2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#13 moonlightrunner

moonlightrunner

• Validated Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I've got friends who full timed in a manufactured RV thru winters in the mountains of TN & NC and currently fulltime in a self converted bus they call a Residential Vehicle. They say the difference is the bus was designed to live in fulltime in cold winters and hot summers based on the places they have lived. I can't wait until they can help me convert a bus of my own into a Residential Vehicle. No more crappy Recreational Vehicle ranges for me! I can have a full size 30" lp gas range that cooks decently! That will be so cool. The longer I live fulltime in a manufactured RV, the more I realize the limitations inherent in it and the longer my spec list for a conversion gets.

#14 moonlightrunner

moonlightrunner

• Validated Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

I've got friends who full timed in a manufactured RV thru winters in the mountains of TN & NC and currently fulltime in a self converted bus they call a Residential Vehicle. They say the difference is the bus was designed to live in fulltime in cold winters and hot summers based on the places they have lived. I can't wait until they can help me convert a bus of my own into a Residential Vehicle. No more crappy Recreational Vehicle ranges for me! I can have a full size 30" lp gas range that cooks decently! That will be so cool. The longer I live fulltime in a manufactured RV, the more I realize the limitations inherent in it and the longer my spec list for a conversion gets.

#15 Dave W

Dave W

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1010 posts
  • SKP#:56442

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

My problem with permanent residence RV's is that they become....well permanent. With all of the "stuff" that you usually want, or need, to live in one place piled outside. If I owned an "RV" park stays would be limited to 3 months, or I would have a "long term" section with storage buildings provided.
Dave W. KE5GOH
Stuck in the 70's ---
In E. Texas

#16 Lou Schneider

Lou Schneider

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1069 posts
  • SKP#:31721

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

The reason California RV parks limit stays to 6 months is the state's tenants rights laws.  Renting a space in an RV park is no different than renting an apartment under state law.  The longer a person stays, the longer and harder it is for a park to evict them. After 9 months continuous occupancy it requires a full legal eviction that can take several months to get someone out of a park.  Motel 6 has lobby notices limiting stays to 28 days for the same reason.

I've lived in 4 different longterm RV parks in California.  All of these parks rent primarily by the month, and in each the work-around used by the park management was to have me vacate the park for either 24 or 48 hours, then re-enter under a new lease to reset the clock.  The park I'm in now says just pull out, drive around the block and come back in.

And the reason many parks say 6 months instead of 9 months is so a bad actor can't refuse to leave and then use delaying tactics to extend his stay long enough to fall into the protected class.

Lou Schneider

#17 elainelw

elainelw

• All Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thanks Lou, that's very helpful to know!

#18 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1250 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

If you go to RV Park Reviews on your computer and look in the Phoenix , Casa Grande, and Tucson areas you will see on the web sites of some of the RV parks that they have yearly rates.

....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#19 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4364 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

There are many Florida campgrounds you can stay year a round.

12 months monthly average is cheaper then 6 months.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB Banks PowerPack
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS EcoBoost Toad
369070033.jpg

#20 bjcarpetguy

bjcarpetguy

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

In Cali we stayed at one park for an entire year.  Granted we were workcamping but there were several full size mobiles as well as a couple 5'rs that had

been there for years.  Our neighbor had lived there for over 30years. 

My Dad and mom lived in one in Tx for a couple Years before she passed away.  That was back in the  '80's

Hear in  Olympia Wa we have at least Three parks that offer yearly rates. 

Just really depends on the Park. 

Oh I forgot to mention DW and I have lived non stop in our 1987 MH since April of 2009.

Edited by bjcarpetguy, 17 September 2013 - 06:28 PM.