17 replies to this topic

#1 BooneDocks

BooneDocks

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1183 posts
  • SKP#:107550

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

I wanted a program to convert PDFs to JPGs and found a free one recommended by CNET,  But that didn't keep it from changing my broswer settings and I can't get them back.  I should have known better.

I use Chrome as my browser on an HP laptop running Windows 7.  The download basically changed all search related settings from Google to Bing.  I deleted the program.  I deleted anything I could find related to Bing.  When I open the browser, the omnibox is empty and the search shown in the window is Bing.  I can change the settings as I have so that when I open the browser it comes up with www.google.com in the omnibox which then has google in the window as the search engine, but it I open a new tab, it will have an empty omnibox and Bing as the search engine.  I have resest the Chrome browser settings to the original defaults, but that doesn't fix it.  And even when I search with Google I seem to also get this block of suggestions at the top that I think are coming from Bing.  Any thoughts on how I can get rid of this default Bing stuff and get back to all things Google?

2003 Country Coach Intrigue Towing a 2006 Ford Focus Wagon
Follow Our Full-Time Travels Through Our Blog

#2 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2532 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Downloads from Cnet can be  trying.  I had a recent download from Cnet that put something similar on my laptop.  Spybot got rid of it.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#3 TXiceman

TXiceman

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1173 posts
  • SKP#:108682

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

When downloading software, you need to CAREFULLy check to see if there are any boxes checked to add new or trial software with the download.  McAfee and Chrome are sneaky about hiding in the small print and adding one.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38 RLRSB, 2012 F350 6.7L, <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

#4 FlyLikeAnEagle

FlyLikeAnEagle

• Validated Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

&nbsp;

I wanted a program to convert PDFs to JPGs and found a free one recommended by CNET,  But that didn't keep it from changing my broswer settings and I can't get them back.  I should have known better.

I use Chrome as my browser on an HP laptop running Windows 7.  The download basically changed all search related settings from Google to Bing.  I deleted the program.  I deleted anything I could find related to Bing.  When I open the browser, the omnibox is empty and the search shown in the window is Bing.  I can change the settings as I have so that when I open the browser it comes up with www.google.com in the omnibox which then has google in the window as the search engine, but it I open a new tab, it will have an empty omnibox and Bing as the search engine.  I have resest the Chrome browser settings to the original defaults, but that doesn't fix it.  And even when I search with Google I seem to also get this block of suggestions at the top that I think are coming from Bing.  Any thoughts on how I can get rid of this default Bing stuff and get back to all things Google?

&nbsp;
It sounds to me like you need to reset your default search provider from Bing to Google. I'm not using Chrome, although I seem to get an install of it monthly even being watchful (it came by default yesterday with GoogleEarth, so bye bye once again).
Has your start home page also changed? You should be able to tell Chrome to use whichever page you want.

#5 BooneDocks

BooneDocks

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1183 posts
  • SKP#:107550

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

&nbsp; &nbsp;
It sounds to me like you need to reset your default search provider from Bing to Google. I'm not using Chrome, although I seem to get an install of it monthly even being watchful (it came by default yesterday with GoogleEarth, so bye bye once again).
Has your start home page also changed? You should be able to tell Chrome to use whichever page you want.

My start home page did change, but I specified it to google as I wanted.  but if I open a new tab it is not speced for google, has a blank address bar, and a bing search in the window

My default search engine is speced for google and if I type only in the address bar of a new tab it will be a google search, but the typing jumps from the address bar down to the bing search line in the window and I have to move the cursor back up to the address bar which is a bit of a pain.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue Towing a 2006 Ford Focus Wagon
Follow Our Full-Time Travels Through Our Blog

#6 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1184 posts
  • SKP#:78016

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

I don't use Chrome but I'd guess you could save your bookmarks/favorites and then uninstall then re install Chrome...
stay tuned
popeye

#7 TheDuke

TheDuke

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1125 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

This is getting to be very common with downloads from some of the RESPECTED sites. To make money they use these tactics. I can't remember for sure the worst one, but it has extra download buttons to click and when you click the wrong one you get installs that you don't need or want and they hose up your browser, no matter which one you use.

It is a new form of malware.

#8 GzrGldGeo

GzrGldGeo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 667 posts
  • SKP#:106686

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

I think a download from CNET did my last laptop in.  Good luck with it. 

George Roberts
1994 40' Bluebird Wanderlodge WLWB 500 HP Detroit Diesel 8v92
Towed: 2008 Jeep Sahara Limited Hardtop 4 X 4
Blog: Not a Moment Too Soon

#9 FlyLikeAnEagle

FlyLikeAnEagle

• Validated Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Reading here http://productforums...ome/6gyldsACp-M it sounds like a common enough problem, caused by one of the "extensions" that had been added in. Might try disabling all extensions to see if things are back to normal, then find the culprit.

#10 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2031 posts
  • SKP#:111554

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

One problem I've seen among the shareware is they often want to install something like a bing serarch.  When yo install estensions and add-ons make sure nothing else has been selecte3d to be installed.  The boxes are getting smaller so sometimes yo have to look for them.

As for a PDF writer I use Cute PDF as my default printer for all docs.  Never had a problem with it.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

#11 Jim&Alice

Jim&Alice

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 657 posts
  • SKP#:109969

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Try the "Decline to accept" install option... the install completes but the bill-paying addons are declined.   If wrong, at worst... ya just have to start the install over.   

Jim

2007 Dolphin
2008 Honda CR-V
Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, and Base Plate, US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog:   Click Here

#12 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1461 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

I would just do a Restore back to a point before the download and then try another program and be careful to not select one that loads all that junk on. I'm not particularly computer literate but is there a reason nobody else suggested Restore?

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#13 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Restore can be a viable option too. But if the only problem is with the browser(chrome)that's all that needs to be fixed.
stay tuned
popeye

#14 Ronbo

Ronbo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 899 posts
  • SKP#:116650

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

I always select custom install and there are ALWAYS some other items I have to decline. Some programs can be very confusing. You have to read everything. Ecen the title of the other box.
Ron C.
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3
2000 Kenworth T2000

#15 Croft

Croft

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Well, I read this thread this morning and even so, got hit this afternoon. I updated Flash Player and got a whole suite of add-ons even though I made sure I unchecked all options during the download. It didn't matter as I ended up with Conduit as my default search engine and as my home page. I also had an unwelcome "MaxiDJ" toolbar added. I have Windows 7 (64 bit) and use Chrome.

It took running Revo Uninstaller to get rid of two programs (MaxDJ Toolbar and Protect Conduit) and then tweaking settings in Chrome to reset my home page and remove Conduit as my default search engine. An hour later and I think I am back to normal, at least in Chrome.

#16 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3069 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

I haven't had a problem installing Flash updates directly from Adobe.  I normally check via the Flash Player control panel applet, which is installed under "Systems and Security" on Win7.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing 2012 AWD Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#17 rvpopeye

rvpopeye

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

This practice of bundling unwanted downloads with the wanted ones is becoming very common . I see it getting worse before and if it gets better.It's all about the Benjamins... I agree with what has been said about always choosing custom install and looking for the unwanted add ons but some of it doesn't have opt out boxes to check/uncheck.It just installs. BAD JU JU ! Even going to the host website for downloads isn't always a way to avoid this either. But it does help. Take your time when downloading and installing , take the time to read everything , look what you are clicking on and be aware of the extras. Get an extra drive , portable or w/a dock and keep a good ,updated , tested image on it , set restore points before installing something. No antivirus program will protect you if you OK an install. Stop , Think , and when in doubt , close it out!
stay tuned
popeye

#18 FlyLikeAnEagle

FlyLikeAnEagle

• Validated Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Another maddening way for this to happen are through the spoofed pop ups. I've had a few windows open saying that my Flash Player was out of date and needed updated (click here, it tempts). The screen looks very official but I know that I am up to date.  So, just "updating" something may be opening the door to the real downloads they want on your machine.