• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 suzwoodard

suzwoodard

• All Members
  • 2 posts
  • SKP#:110772

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

I saw an article outlining an app specifcally for big rig travel - like truckers use.  I cannot find it now and want it.  Specifically designed routes to avoid problems big rigs and truckers have navigating thru detours, city street with low hanging branches, bridges, etc.  Does anyone have this?  I'e searched ut have not found.

#2 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4935 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

ALK CoPilot Live 9 Truck

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2014 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#3 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4048 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

If it routes trucks correctly it will do a terrible job or routine RV's.  There are too many routes where trucks are not allowed but are the appropriate route for an RV to make a truckers GPS a useful tool for RVers.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#4 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18815 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

It may not be useful for SOME Rvers Bill, but the trucker GPS apps are useful to those of us that DO drive large trucks with large trailers.  I almost always follow truck routes in towns (I don't do cities much). It is far safer for me - I am 13' 3" tall and either 84' long or 68' long.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#5 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4935 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ditto Jack.  Even through we could push not following truck routes, it makes a lot of sense for a rig our size to skip the center of towns.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#6 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18229 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'm a fan of truck routes too when I'm just passing through, if I have some time in the area I'll look at alternate routes. Even so not all truck routes are appropriate for RVs since we are a lot more susceptible to tree damage and truck routes ignore them completely which can lead to our tender RVs getting nasty scratches and dings.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#7 Medico

Medico

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1138 posts
  • SKP#:112655

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

WOW!, This is one expensive piece of S/W! I suppose for those driving a lot it could be cost effective, but for those of us just moving 3 or 4 times a year, seems to be hard to justify, at least for me!

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

CountryCoachMagna1med_zps83669550.jpg   

#8 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4935 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

How much do your roof air conditioners cost?

For me it is that plus the solar equipment on the roof. Plus the roof of my truck.

So if you can rely on preplanning your moves and never worrying about a change in route, you don't need it.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#9 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2753 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

I assume everyone is aware that Garmin's new RV760LMT is an RV GPS that understands that RV's are not subject to truck restrictions but still have height and weight concerns.  We've been using a Garmin 465T for over 2 years and have been satisfied except for the couple of times it tried to take us through fields when our CG turned out to be located on a truck-restricted road.  When I have a spare couple of hundred $$ I'll consider buying one of the new ones.

Edited by docj, 15 July 2013 - 08:08 AM.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#10 suzwoodard

suzwoodard

• All Members
  • 2 posts
  • SKP#:110772

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for all of your information.  My husband reminded me that the app was outlined in a Good Sam internet article.   I fully agree with avoiding cities when you can - easier to avoid a problem than repair one.

#11 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4048 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

It may not be useful for SOME Rvers Bill, but the trucker GPS apps are useful to those of us that DO drive large trucks with large trailers.  I almost always follow truck routes in towns (I don't do cities much). It is far safer for me - I am 13' 3" tall and either 84' long or 68' long.

I guess if I was 84 feet long I would not want anything with the word recreactional in it either. Yikes!

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#12 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18815 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Bill, there is a reason why we 1) pull with semi-trucks and 2)have created our own "big rig" campground guide.  Most of the "big rig" sites are not really big rig sites... :)  And even after carefully explaining our size to campground staff, we still continually get the "bug eyed" look when we pull in. :)

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#13 Dennis M

Dennis M

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2581 posts
  • SKP#:107142

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

The driving directions on the website for Winter Island Park in Salem, MA take you down a street with a 6k weight limit  :blink: - uh, we weigh 37k! If you follow the truck route it is a bit longer but takes you to the same place.

We usually will follow the truck route when going through towns along state highways.

Yeah, you get used to that "bug-eyed" look!

Edited by Dennis M, 15 July 2013 - 12:38 PM.

Dennis & Nancy
Geneva, IL & Tucson, AZ

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2011 smart fortwo coupe riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06)
Our Travel Blog

#14 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18815 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

uh, we weigh 37k! 

Yeah, you get used to that "bug-eyed" look!

Geeze, Dennis, have you been on a diet?  We are pushing over 50K.....  I need to unload some stuff.  :(

www.jackdanmayer.com

#15 KodiakJack

KodiakJack

• Validated Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

We have logged in a bit over 10K miles using our Garmin Dezl 760LMT GPS. The unit is designed with both truckers and RV'ers in mind. Guided us safely in our 41-foot fifth wheel (65' overall) to our daughter's on Long Island, NY (once was enough) and back out again. We also use the All Stays app but find the 'low hanging branch' information difficult to use, so I keep a link handy to this site on the topic to double check our routes. http://www.aitaonlin...Clearances.html
Later,
J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

#16 Raquel

Raquel

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1239 posts
  • SKP#:106877

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Bill, there is a reason why we 1) pull with semi-trucks and 2)have created our own "big rig" campground guide.  Most of the "big rig" sites are not really big rig sites... :)  And even after carefully explaining our size to campground staff, we still continually get the "bug eyed" look when we pull in. :)

This is what I find really amazing.  On the phone we describe EXACTLY what we have, total length, length of the pieces (truck and trailer) and the height, and we still get that "bug-eyed" look and the scrambling to find us a bigger spot.  Where we were this past weekend was one where the woman said, "Oh we get big rigs all the time.  We've seen them all."  Then she doesn't know where to put us when I'm not sure I want to back 200 feet between 4 trees that are all off-set and then a dog-leg into the spot ... at dark. 

Trish & Raquel
--------
2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4
"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb
"Wile E." -- 2013 Landmark San Antonio
Photos

#17 Raquel

Raquel

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1239 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

I assume everyone is aware that Garmin's new RV760LMT is an RV GPS that understands that RV's are not subject to truck restrictions but still have height and weight concerns.  We've been using a Garmin 465T for over 2 years and have been satisfied except for the couple of times it tried to take us through fields when our CG turned out to be located on a truck-restricted road.  When I have a spare couple of hundred $$ I'll consider buying one of the new ones.

We are very seriously looking at that GPS, the RV760LMT.  I keep reading the same release information by Garmin, from many different sources, hoping to find something new.  Everything I read keeps saying that it'll be released this summer.  I'd like to have it before a month from now.  :mellow:

Our Garmin 465 came with a truck attached.  :)  We bought the updates (to the Garmin, not the truck) and it does fairly well but, I get tired of telling it that I don't really care that trucks are not allowed on a road we're on.  This happened yesterday while in heavy Sunday traffic when trying to get to a Costco we saw from the freeway.  While at a light I told it that we wanted to go to Costco, got down the road and the silly thing went crazy (the Garmin, not the truck) and I had to clear 3 screens to get back to navigation, while making tight turns and watching out for bicycles, in stop and go traffic with a 67 foot rig.

Anyway, we're lusting after the RV760LMT.

Edited by Raquel, 15 July 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Trish & Raquel
--------
2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4
"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb
Photos

#18 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18815 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Then she doesn't know where to put us when I'm not sure I want to back 200 feet between 4 trees that are all off-set and then a dog-leg into the spot ... at dark. 

Come on Raquel, I thought you were up for a challenge :)

On the device, look at running Co-pilot on an Android tablet. The $4.99 version does not give you height info, but the trucker version does. You can try out the interface on the cheaper version. It does not require a connection to navigate...all maps are downloaded.

www.jackdanmayer.com

#19 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4935 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

This is what I find really amazing.  On the phone we describe EXACTLY what we have, total length, length of the pieces (truck and trailer) and the height, and we still get that "bug-eyed" look and the scrambling to find us a bigger spot.

Dale does all the reservations and had gotten pretty good at sensing whether the campground person is understanding what we are describing.  Often, Dale emails a photo of the rig, the old picture is worth a thousand words.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#20 Raquel

Raquel

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1239 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Come on Raquel, I thought you were up for a challenge :)

On the device, look at running Co-pilot on an Android tablet. The $4.99 version does not give you height info, but the trucker version does. You can try out the interface on the cheaper version. It does not require a connection to navigate...all maps are downloaded.

The interesting thing was that the spot she was wanting to put us in was actually a "tent space". 

I've looked at the description for Co-pilot.  I'm unsure of another trucker GPS app. 

Trish & Raquel
--------
2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4
Photos