Photo

Why workamp for $8-$10/hr when there are so many other ways to make more?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts
  • SKP#:103139

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

I watch Craigslist - "Jobs" - "Sales" -  and am always amazed at the number of ways people have found to make money.  They usually have a good idea and milk others efforts by hiring those with little initiative to do the work at little pay.

I'm not talking about answering the ad or going to work for them but asking yourself "How does the poster make HIS money?" and "Can I duplicate that?"

Anyone else harvest those opportunities?

#2 Dog Folks

Dog Folks

• Validated Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

In answer to your question and post heading. 

Many of us have already had our mooment in the sun, and spent years making maximum dollars.  Now that we are retired, the money is not as improtant as it once was. 

Pleasant work conditions, weather, and a sense of acomplishment are enough.  It is all about your stage of life.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

One "fur baby" a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

#3 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

While that may be true for some, there are too many posts from people that need additional income to stay on the road.

Trimming palm trees, mowing, fixing others screw ups, picking up other peoples trash, cleaning restrooms, etc all in 100 degree FL weather does not seem like pleasant work conditions.

If you want the comrade and ambiance of a particular park - stay there as a full paying guest and enjoy it to the fullest.  If you need additional income to pay for it - maximize your income from your time.  Why sell yourself for $8 - $10/hr when you are worth so much more? 

A good example was a guy who advertised for people to contact companies in their local area to find excess inventory.  When they came across some they notified him and he negotiated a liquidation plan.  The "local finder" was paid a finders fee and minimum wage for the follow-up effort.  The guy would then try to liquidate the materials through eBay, Craigslist, contacting companies, etc.  To ship any inventory he sold, it was the responsibility of the "local finder" to box it up and get it shipped to the buyer for which the "local finder" was paid minimum wage.  Not bad for the guy that did the hiring - all his effort was online and on the phone and he never had to take possession of the inventory but still skimmed the "big bucks".   Any RV'r could duplicate that program - even if they contacted local companies themselves in the local areas where they are and did  it all themselves.  Still make more than $8/hr.

Another one I saw was all the opportunities at telemarketing - now there is something that can be done from anywhere you have internet access. 

The sense of accomplishment comes from paying your way on an ongoing basis and enjoying where you are and what you are doing.

In answer to your question and post heading. 

Many of us have already had our mooment in the sun, and spent years making maximum dollars.  Now that we are retired, the money is not as improtant as it once was. 

Pleasant work conditions, weather, and a sense of acomplishment are enough.  It is all about your stage of life.

#4 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4647 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

There aren't as many ways to make more as there used to be.

"I knew a guy", "I heard of a guy", "I read about a guy"... yada, yada, yada.  We've all heard of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.  How many of us can go do it?  Precious few.  Doesn't mean we're all idiots.  But it's not gonna happen for most of us.

The people out there who are gonna tell you how rich and successful they are by doing "x" are plentiful.  It's not uncommon to find out, sometimes years later, that they were total frauds and completely bankrupt, sometimes with a group of people that still want to send them money to get started with their "fantastic, never heard of before or since, plan to make you rich in 13 seconds flat". 

So are you actually doing it?  Or are you just reading Craigslist ads?

#5 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm actually doing it.  I'm  a telemarketer selling vacation packages.  Been doing it for the last 10 years.  I used to sell at several of the Orlando Timeshare resorts then decided I didn't want to be tied down to any location and got into the marketing side of the business - i.e. selling "hooked" vacation packages.   Net profit is about $300.00 to $400.00 per package sold.  I only do a couple sales a week now to pay expenses and enjoy the rest of my time.

I replied to an old site  http://CaribeMarketing.com that was set up to attract phone room owners and I set up my own room of 1 - me.  They since set up another site for individuals http://LOAVP.com that pretty well explains what I am doing and how I do it. (No  they don't pay me anything - they are my fulfiller - I pay them a flat $35 to ship my packages and they handle all fulfillment after I make the sale.)

Don't get me wrong - I am NOT advising anyone to get into the telemarketing game - It is fraught with frustration and I get tired of being hung up on and called a scumbag!  But hey, $600 to $1000 / week for about 10 hours work - I can have a pretty thick skin.

What I am saying is there are many opportunities out there that can be evaluated and modified to meet your needs - it only take the initiative to search them out and decide what works for you. I did it 10 years ago and it has been a nice side income.

#6 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4390 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Maybe some of the below are looking for your $8-10 hr yobs. And would be happy to get them.

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 195,000 in June, and the
unemployment rate was unchanged at 7.6 percent, the U.S. Bureau of
Labor Statistics reported today. Employment rose in leisure and
hospitality, professional and business services, retail trade, health
care, and financial activities.

Household Survey Data

The number of unemployed persons, at 11.8 million, and the unemployment 
rate, at 7.6 percent, were unchanged in June. Both measures have shown 
little change since February. (See table A-1.)

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for adult women
(6.8 percent) edged up in June, while the rates for adult men (7.0
percent), teenagers (24.0 percent), whites (6.6 percent), blacks (13.7
percent), and Hispanics (9.1 percent) showed little or no change. The
jobless rate for Asians was 5.0 percent (not seasonally adjusted), down 
from 6.3 percent a year earlier. 

In June, the number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks 
or more) was essentially unchanged at 4.3 million. These individuals 
accounted for 36.7 percent of the unemployed. Over the past 12 months, 
the number of long-term unemployed has declined by 1.0 million. 

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB Banks PowerPack
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS EcoBoost Toad
369070033.jpg

#7 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4647 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

No disrespect intended, but there are few jobs in this life I loathe more than telemarketing.  Sorry.  I'd really and truly rather shovel cow poop than pick up a phone and cold call anyone.  Believe it or not, it's a struggle for me to pick up the phone and call anyone, even people I really like.  I HATE the telephone.  I cringe when it rings.  I often find myself having to talk myself into calling my own mom.  Did I mention I HATE the telephone? 

As far as being called by a telemarketer, I find that offensive if I have not asked for someone to call me (extremely rare).  And as much as I'm offended by it, I refuse to do that to someone else. 

#8 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I agree.  I NEVER cold call.  I buy leads from show brokers - those guys you see at various shows advertising "Register for a Florida Vacation" or some such.    I tell them how many and they send me those cards ~once a week for ~$2.50 ea.  At least the prospect has indicated a desire to vacation in Florida and asked someone to contact them by filling out the card.

I tried to generate my own leads by setting up my own booth at a show a couple years ago - worked OK but a real hassle - 8-10 hrs standing around at a booth hustling people to fill out the cards was a pain - but I generated ~1000 lead cards from a 3 day show.   If you don't mind standing around Home Shows, etc and want to attend a booth,  lets talk - I'll buy whatever you produce but the type of show is critical - (Can't be RV shows - Many resorts won't pay for families traveling in an RV!)  On the other hand, leads from those dinosaur shows were great as they were attended by families that paid ~$17 ea to get in but lately I understand they banned Travel lead generators for some reason.   If you have some ideas for other types of shows we can help each other.

#9 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 22185 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

I agree.  I NEVER cold call.  I buy leads from show brokers - those guys you see at various shows advertising "Register for a Florida Vacation" or some such.    I tell them how many and they send me those cards ~once a week for ~$2.50 ea.  At least the prospect has indicated a desire to vacation in Florida and asked someone to contact them by filling out the card.

So is this discussion one about doing telemarketing or is it about starting your own business? I visited the two links that you supplied and both lead to the same site, just different parts of it. This sounds very close to being a spam thread. What do you get from it if some of us fill out that application on your side?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#10 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Nothing - As I said those sites are how I got started and what I do.  Brian T asked what I was actually doing  and what - I answered his query.  Sorry if that made it sound like spam.  It doesn't affect me one way or another if anyone else does what I do as I buy exclusive use of leads so there is no competition.

I offered that if someone wants to start their own business by becoming a lead generator by attending shows - I will become their customer - I will purchase their generated product.  I am always looking for quality leads to purchase.  That offer is no different than a Camp Ground looking for Workampers - They will pay for their time as will I.

I only explained what I did and how I got started as an example of seeing an opportunity and modifying it to your own situation.  In my case, that Caribe Marketing site only dealt with formal telemarketing rooms.  When I asked why I couldn't do it as a one man show they said Why Not.  I had a rocky first 6 months but it smoothed out.  

The same can be said for evaluating any new idea - Look at who is setting up at the RV shows and ask - can I duplicate what they are doing and do I want to do it.  In my case it worked out well.  Business opportunities don't have to be new ideas - in fact the tried and true many times offer the best opportunities - just get in there and do it better than the competition.  

#11 tworootless

tworootless

• Validated Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

Sound like a typical "sales pitch" to me.

#12 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Nope - but there is a "buying pitch" in there as are all workamping offers.

#13 George Stoltz

George Stoltz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2837 posts
  • SKP#:99899

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

So is this discussion one about doing telemarketing or is it about starting your own business? I visited the two links that you supplied and both lead to the same site, just different parts of it. This sounds very close to being a spam thread. What do you get from it if some of us fill out that application on your side?

I Googled and used Bing to look at one of the links and found nothing.  Hmmmmm?  For sure the people selling the leads at about $2.50 a lead (you pay incoming postage) are making some serious money.  The entire approach sounds suspect to me, but then I am biased about all telemarketing schemes.  

Earlier the OP said:  "On the other hand, leads from those dinosaur shows were great as they were attended by families that paid ~$17 ea to get in but lately I understand they banned Travel lead generators for some reason."

Could the reason they banned Travel lead generators....    is that too many people complained about being contacted by telemarketers?

Edited by George Stoltz, 14 July 2013 - 06:16 PM.

George Stoltz

#14 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

That is what I  understand.  When I Google'd the Dinosaur Shows, a number of complaints were from people complaining about being beaten up by telemarketers after filling out those cards registering for a vacation.  Unfortunately the lead broker sold those leads to multiple phone rooms. (I could never afford to buy all the leads they produced at those shows ~2500 per week).   Many large phone rooms really beat up the lead.  I heard that the show promoter got fed up with the complaints and kicked the lead broker out of his shows and banned any travel lead generators from future shows.

I don't beat up the lead, I use a soft sell approach.  I probably don't  close near the % a large high pressure room does, but then I'm not into the high pressure/stress associated with their type of selling.  I'm happy to harvest the low hanging fruit. (i.e. the easy sales)

As I said, even soft selling, you have to have a thick skin in my end of the game.  On the other hand, the people gathering the cards/ attending the shows are all smiles - they don't have to try and sell anything.  The people are registering for a Florida Vacation and are all smiles.

PS: I doubt they are making a killing.  From what I have been able to find, a typical 3 day Home show, Auto Show, etc costs about $700-$1000 for a 10'X10' booth.  Typically they will get 1200 - 1500 lead cards filled out if they man the booth.  (I heard the broker at the Dinosaur Shows had to pay $5000/7day show - but then they were premium lads)  Looks like their sunk cost/ lead is about $1.50 per lead.  Still that leaves ~$1000/week for 3 days work isn't bad.

Edited by TomOneal, 14 July 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#15 Jim Hicks

Jim Hicks

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 898 posts
  • SKP#:112602

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

I taste a hint of canned meat.

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"                                                                           

#16 TomOneal

TomOneal

• Validated Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Look, no one can make a decision without the facts.  One guy asked about opening a Kettle Corn booth.  The only response he got was to go to the Kettle Corn company website.  How can he make a decision without some unbiased observations/sales figures. (Would you trust average sales figures provided by the company trying to sell you the equipment?)

What's wrong with discussing opportunities - like buying Egyptian Cotton 1600 sheets on Alibaba.com direct from China and setting up a booth at RV shows to sell them.  So discuss the gross sales/hour, the cost/markup.  The vendor now doing it sure won't tell.

Or how about TireMinder/Pressure Pro systems direct from China also from alibaba.com, over branded in your name  and selling on eBay with plenty of "Buy American" admonitions and waving American flags on your eBay page ;-) (There are several of those pages - look at their sold figures - they re doing OK)

There are many on these sites that have researched the pros and cons of various money making opportunities besides $10/hr workamping.  The existing vendors will never release the true details of their business as they certainly don't want the competition at the next show.  That's why it's up to the collective observations of the group to ferret out the truth.

There seems to be a vested interest on these sites to maintain a steady flow of cheap labor for the Camp Grounds by discouraging/stifling true discussions of other ways of making money and getting into the details.   Bring out the Spam Police!

#17 George Stoltz

George Stoltz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2837 posts
  • SKP#:99899

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

Even though I am not a fan of direct marketing or phone solicitation I have to sincerely compliment Tom Oneal because not once has he lost his temper, and he has consistently provided thoughtful replies to most of the responses.  We would all do well to follow his example.

George Stoltz

#18 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4781 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Tom,

Obviously you are an entrepreneur.  You are willing to expend effort to seek out opportunities that have the potential of significant reward.  Of course, these opportunities also carry with them a certain amount of risk and uncertainty, much of which can be mitigated by careful research and planning.   What you may fail to recognize is that not everyone falls into the entrepreneurial category or mindset like you do.  And some who may have been entrepreneurs at some point in the past, no longer need or want to do so at this point in their lives.  They are much more comfortable just selling their time to someone else.  That someone else is probably an entrepreneur.

There's nothing wrong with being an entrepreneur or a laborer.  Both callings are valid and honorable ways to earn an income.  Certainly there is often the potential for greater income to those willing to accept the risks of an entrepreneurial undertaking, but there is also a greater risk of failure, and it certainly takes a lot more thought and planning.  You describe various opportunities that offer the potential for earning some decent income, but all of those opportunities require a good deal of thought, planning, preparation, and usually some up front capital investment.  Many people don't have the desire to invest their time or money in any of those things at this point in their lives.  They are much more comfortable just selling their labor, knowing exactly what their return will be, and investing nothing but time.

We need both kinds of people for our economic system to work.  We need entrepreneurs and we need laborers.  There's nothing wrong with being either.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#19 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 19037 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

George, than you for writing what was in my mind.....

These opportunities may not be for everyone, but I do know people that are doing many of the things Tom has outlined and making a living at it.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#20 harry bellerby

harry bellerby

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 875 posts
  • SKP#:41338

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

My wife and I work camp for a couple of reasons. We like the park we are in, we set are own hours, the people we work for are great.

It gives us some extra money and very little responsibility. We have owned businesses, had high pay/high stress jobs. At 74 and 70 time for the younger folks to step up. Did I mention we like it.

c u on the road

airstream harry
2000 Land Yacht MH
2007 Saturn Ion