Title license interstate intrastate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glcochran

Glcochran

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm looking for guidance in title/registration and driver license requirements for HDT RV toters in Michigan. As I have searched on the Internet and in this forum I can not find definitive guidance. So I went the the Secretary of State and I got blank stares, shrugged shoulders, and no guidance.

I am currently looking at graduating from a YukonXL2500 w/Quadrasteer and a 30' citation travel trailer w/Hensley hitch to A Volvo 610 toter w/40' 5vr. The toter is currently registered as a MH in Indiana, when it gets registered in Michigan how will it be titled? AND what license will I be required to have? AND what ever the requirements will be in Michigan, will the be legal when you drive through other states?

I'm really looking forward to the move to a HDT and large 5vr, but am apprehensive due to the ambiguity that I am finding regarding the registration and licensing of a Class 8 conversion and weight limits, and driver license definitions.

Help!

#2 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 5005 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Well a start would be the HHRV Resource Guide on Registrations by state.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2014 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#3 Brad Dadles

Brad Dadles

• Validated Members
  • 312 posts
  • SKP#:102405

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Good Morning Glcochran,

I can try to help with this and maybe Bill Burton or Greg Kamradt will chime in since they did it after I did. It has been awhile since I did it in Mi. and now I'm a Texas resident. You should have an easier time since it is already titled as a MH in IND. I brought mine in from Canada and at that time Michigan used the Federal Motorhome standards to define a MH (I assume that they still do). Which meant that there was a list of things that were needed and you had to have a certain number of these things to qualify. It may be easier to tell you what I did.

1) I wrote a declaration of what I had and what I had removed or added to the truck (removed commercial hitch, capped air lines, etc).

2) I had all the receipts for everything I had added.

3) I had the import papers from Canada (this was extra that you won't have).   

4) I had a copy of the federal Motorhome standards (Printed proper section from Internet). Mine has a bed, Shore power, refer, microwave for cooking and a porta potty under the bed (still unopened in the box).

When I went to Secretary of state office in Benton Harbor and told them what I wanted and gave them the entire hand full of papers the lady took them in to a supervisor and they looked up some things and made copies of everything I had. 30 minutes and $1400 later (import fees and taxes) I was done and the Volvo was titled as a motorhome.

I also drove Volvo with my regular drivers license. That may have been wrong but I was getting ready to move to TX so I just did it.

Now with all that said I would probably get all the things I listed above but when I went to the Secretary of state office I would just tell them that you have a motorhome registered in IND. and tell them you want to register it in MI. and present them with the title and see what they say. Since it is already titled as a MH I would not even mention that it is a converted Semi tractor and confuse the issue.

Good Luck.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn

Ian the Wonder Dog and Charmer the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.58 ratio
SKP# 102405
Fulltiming and loving it.

#4 Dale G

Dale G

• Validated Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm the new kid on the block here and I just went thru this process in May. I went thru the Secretary of States office in Romeo and they had done this in the past and were some what familar with what was being done. If the truck is titled as a motorhome currently it will be no problem as they will accept it's current classification. The hard part was establishing the value of the motorhome because the registration is based on the the original value. When they run the VIN it will come up with the original value of the truck and you do not want to pay for the plates based on this. After a phone call to the States office in Lansing they agreed that the truck had been re-purposed from it's original intent to it's current classification and they accepted the purchase price as the new value. It took a couple of calls but I had looked into all of this before the purchase and this was what was told to me in advance of my purchase. There is no special drivers licence for a motorhome in Michigan unless you are double towing and then you would have to get what they call a recreational doudle licence. Good luck

1998 VOLVO VNL610
2008 JAYCO DESIGNER
2006 GL1800 GOLDWING

#5 Brad Dadles

Brad Dadles

• Validated Members
  • 312 posts
  • SKP#:102405

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Where are you located Glcochran?

Brad and Jacolyn

Ian the Wonder Dog and Charmer the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.58 ratio
SKP# 102405
Fulltiming and loving it.

#6 Glcochran

Glcochran

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Bedford Township! Just over the boarder from Toledo, Ohio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Title, license, interstate, intrastate