Coleman Mach AC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 serge

serge

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer with Coleman Mach AC. One of the 20 amp breakers keeps tripping. Anyone have this problem before?

#2 TXiceman

TXiceman

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 669 posts
  • SKP#:108682

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

First thing to do is to check the amp draw on the circuit with an amp meter.  Also check the voltage at the unit when it is running.

Breakers will age and trip.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2012 Carriage Cameo 37RSQ, 2012 F350 6.7L, <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

#3 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 16491 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

If you have 110 or more volts with the AC running and are lazy swap out the breaker as step one, it may fix the problem with the least amount of effort.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#4 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20310 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

If you have proper voltage and it isn't the circuit breaker, has the unit been cleaned recently? Dirty coils, inside and outside can increase the load on the compressor. Low freon pressure can also do that and since the unit is 12 years old, any of these are possible. Anything which increases the load on the compressor will cause current to rise. To measure load current we really need a clamp-on amp meter which may not be available but it would be the most accurate way to check if the breaker should be opening. But if you have replaced the circuit breaker and it still happens, the probability is that it really is drawing too much current.

From the way you asked I am wondering if you don't have two air conditioners and only one is doing this? Does it trip as soon as you try to use it or does it run for a time before the circuit breaker opens? If it is immediate the problem is most likely more serious than dirty coils or low freon.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#5 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1118 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I would first look at the connection of the wire at the breaker and make sure it is tight. Feel the breaker while the A/c is running to see if it gets hot. As mentioned if you can use a clamp on amp meter to measure amp that would give you a picture of the current draw, There are 3 currents to watch for on an A/C .....1, when the unit is off..current will be 0 ,.....2, as the compressor starts there will be a momentary high current draw...this should not last longer than a second or two. And then 3, ...running current , the current draw will drop after the start windings drop out and you should see a fairly steady amp draw while the A/C is cooling. If the starting amperage remains for longer than the few seconds it takes to get the compressor to turn over you might have a weak or failed start capacitor...these can be replaced.

Low refrigerant will not generally cause high current draw unless the compressor is extremely hot and hard starting. Rather it would show up as low current draw. One thing that will cause breakers to trip is short cycling of the compressor. this means that the compressor is turning off and and then trying to restart before the refgt pressures have equalized. Pressure equalization can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes and you will see a lot of thermostats that have a restart delay built into them for this reason.

Good luck....if you need more help you can call an HVAC company and they will dispatch a tech to come to you and help out. I would not take it to an RV service place unless they have an experienced A/C tech on staff.....too many times its a kid armed with the tools but no experience or proper knowledge.
....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2008 Heartland Bighorn Fifth Wheel for the long trips. 2003 keystone sprinter for the short trips. GMC Sierra 1 ton 4x4 crewcab longbox dually with 6.6 Duramax/ Allison &. Banks speed brake. 2010 Polaris RZR on a swivel wheel trailer.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#6 serge

serge

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Thank you all for the information but seems my problem is a serious one. The Run Capacitors registers very low, not close to the reading it should be, and one Start Capacitor doesn't look good.Tried to look for parts on line and can only locate the Run Capacitors. If I can find all the capacitors I'd replace all. The model is a 6535 and was told parts are scare for this model. 

Appreciate if anyone knows where to look for parts. 

#7 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1118 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Serge...in the HVAc industry there are kits that the Refrig. Guys can buy that allow them to match just about any capacitor. Have you talked to an HVAC company? I used to carry such a kit in my service truck.
....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2008 Heartland Bighorn Fifth Wheel for the long trips. 2003 keystone sprinter for the short trips. GMC Sierra 1 ton 4x4 crewcab longbox dually with 6.6 Duramax/ Allison &. Banks speed brake. 2010 Polaris RZR on a swivel wheel trailer.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#8 pinger

pinger

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 713 posts
  • SKP#:46881

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Serge I have some  parts out of my coleman mach that I replaced. You are welcome to all or what ever you need..I"m in Oregon..

Attached Files

Edited by pinger, 02 July 2013 - 03:58 PM.

navy_12.jpg

#9 serge

serge

• Validated Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thank you all for your comments but had to break down and take it to an RV shop, Got new capacitors and found one compressor is not working so they took the unit out and now waiting for a compressor - one week they told me.

Thanks Pinger for the offer and if I was closer to Oregon I would have been over.

To add to my frustration with this unit, my engine AC is not working properly. The unit is working but it is stuck on the defrost vents, will not switch to the other vents..