69 replies to this topic

#61 TCW

TCW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2210 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Joel,

I was under the impression (based on a response from WFR) that the Boost does not have firmware that needs to be updated.  I'd asked that question of them before updating our Ranger (Home) to 6.6.3

BTW we'll be finding out today if our Ranger is recoverable or not once we investigate its current IP address.  Our last attempt to communicate with it via ethernet cable was a challenge and we didn't record that piece of data at the time.

Michelle

From what I know as a Boost owner and user, WFR did not install custom firmware or modify the firmware of the Ubiquiti Bullets or Picostations that they sold as Boosts. If the default user name and password of your Boost is "ubnt", I would think this is proof that WFR did not change the firmware. The value added for the "Mobile Boost" was in the mount, antenna, POE injector and other power options. From what I have read, Ubiquiti has offered some firmware updates and they should work with the WFR products. That said, I have been very happy with the performance of my Ubiquiti product used as a Boost and have not updated from the firmware it came with.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

#62 TreyandSusan

TreyandSusan

• Validated Members
  • 389 posts
  • SKP#:108475

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

I was under the impression (based on a response from WFR) that the Boost does not have firmware that needs to be updated.  I'd asked that question of them before updating our Ranger (Home) to 6.6.3
Michelle

From what I know as a Boost owner and user, WFR did not install custom firmware or modify the firmware of the Ubiquiti Bullets or Picostations that they sold as Boosts. If the default user name and password of your Boost is "ubnt", I would think this is proof that WFR did not change the firmware. The value added for the "Mobile Boost" was in the mount, antenna, POE injector and other power options. From what I have read, Ubiquiti has offered some firmware updates and they should work with the WFR products. That said, I have been very happy with the performance of my Ubiquiti product used as a Boost and have not updated from the firmware it came with.

Michelle, we have the same system as you. Our WFR Pro was bricked when 6.6.3 first failed to install. It did take a couple of weeks to get a RMA replacement WFR Pro, which did not meet expectations from what was stated in their initial general responses in the forum. But I also understand that there was an instant load of issues to handle with limited resources/time.
The Boost firmware can be upgraded but it's a Ubiquiti firmware. I have successfully updated it and I doubt this is supported by WFR. I understood this but was at the point I couldn't do anything else except buy a new Bullet or a whole new system. So, I jumped in knowing the potential consequences. The firmware was downloaded from the Ubiquiti Support site. You might want to be familiar with the wiki and the forums before attempting this upgrade because an unsuccessful firmware updates can render the device/bullet dead - e.g. 6.6.3 WFR Pro :).  All that said and done, the boost does work with the replaced WFR Pro with 6.6.3 but it is flaky. There is an instability in the system that randomly drops the Boost/Bullet and requires me to go through a set of hoops to get it connected back to the WFR Pro (Set up Tab|settings for boost| Select None|Save/Wait|Select Boost|Save/Wait|Sometimes reboot/wait). A key part of the process is to wait and the needed attitudes are patience and endurance. (On occasion these commodities appear to be in short supply, which is not true. Instead, this is a personal problem because I, the branch, am not staying connected to the Source, the Vine.)  I have found the WFR to Boost/Bullet reconnection process through trial and error. There is also an internal instability that causes random reboots of the WFR Pro, which is not solved with 6.6.3. While Brian at WFR is very helpful, it is somewhat disappointing with the lack of documentation that WiFiRanger provides and the process of support. It's sad but this particular system (WFR Pro and Boost) is already old and to upgrade is a pinch in the pocket book for some (us).

Edited by TreyandSusan, 18 July 2013 - 08:06 AM.

Susan & Trey Selman | HDT: 2001 770 VED12 | 5er: 2002 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | 2008 Piaggio MP3 400 | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

#63 mkc

mkc

• Validated Members
  • 65 posts
  • SKP#:82xxx

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Trey and Susan,

Thanks for posting.  What you're seeing with your replacement are the same symptoms we had with our now-failed WFR Pro after installing 6.6.3 (although we also found scan wasn't working with 6.6.3 unless we rebooted the WFR and Failover wasn't working at all).  The issues steadily got worse until we couldn't get it to connect to the Boost even after reboot and eventually it stopped broadcasting SSID. 

We'll definitely be paying close attention to what the replacement unit does.  Had our original WFR been recoverable, we were seriously considering asking for the 5.6.1 version of the firmware to be pushed to it, since that version worked flawlessly.  We really liked the setup when it was working.  I wouldn't necessarily call it "old", though.  The Pro is still sold as the Home (and the "vanilla" Bullet model used for the Boost is still a current Ubiquiti product). 

Michelle

Michelle, we have the same system as you. Our WFR Pro was bricked when 6.6.3 first failed to install.

All that said and done, the boost does work with the replaced WFR Pro with 6.6.3 but it is flaky. There is an instability in the system that randomly drops the Boost/Bullet and requires me to go through a set of hoops to get it connected back to the WFR Pro

There is also an internal instability that causes random reboots of the WFR Pro, which is not solved with 6.6.3.

2003 Foretravel U320

Co-founder/Moderator of Foretravel Owners' Forum

#64 The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

• Validated Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Michelle, we have the same system as you. Our WFR Pro was bricked when 6.6.3 first failed to install. It did take a couple of weeks to get a RMA replacement WFR Pro, which did not meet expectations from what was stated in their initial general responses in the forum. But I also understand that there was an instant load of issues to handle with limited resources/time.
The Boost firmware can be upgraded but it's a Ubiquiti firmware. I have successfully updated it and I doubt this is supported by WFR. I understood this but was at the point I couldn't do anything else except buy a new Bullet or a whole new system. So, I jumped in knowing the potential consequences. The firmware was downloaded from the Ubiquiti Support site. You might want to be familiar with the wiki and the forums before attempting this upgrade because an unsuccessful firmware updates can render the device/bullet dead - e.g. 6.6.3 WFR Pro :).  All that said and done, the boost does work with the replaced WFR Pro with 6.6.3 but it is flaky. There is an instability in the system that randomly drops the Boost/Bullet and requires me to go through a set of hoops to get it connected back to the WFR Pro (Set up Tab|settings for boost| Select None|Save/Wait|Select Boost|Save/Wait|Sometimes reboot/wait). A key part of the process is to wait and the needed attitudes are patience and endurance. (On occasion these commodities appear to be in short supply, which is not true. Instead, this is a personal problem because I, the branch, am not staying connected to the Source, the Vine.)  I have found the WFR to Boost/Bullet reconnection process through trial and error. There is also an internal instability that causes random reboots of the WFR Pro, which is not solved with 6.6.3. While Brian at WFR is very helpful, it is somewhat disappointing with the lack of documentation that WiFiRanger provides and the process of support. It's sad but this particular system (WFR Pro and Boost) is already old and to upgrade is a pinch in the pocket book for some (us).

6.6.3 will still support the boost running the UBNT firmware.  There is no plan to deprecate that feature.  However, there are some issues to be aware of.  The most important, is that the 5.5.3 version of AirOS has a problem in the bootloader of the AirOS device, causing it to "hang" when starting.  This of course causes the WFR to get erratic results from the Boost, and a domino of issues pertaining to that.  If yours is one of those, that may indicate what is going on.

Check your firmware on the Boost, (via the CP WFRBoost link) or connecting directly. Make sure you "reset to Factory defaults" on the AirOS prior to trying to configure it on the WFR tab.  Then re-configure.

Finally, we've seen with newer firmware on the Boost, that the power use has changed a bit.  (Why boggles even me) That may cause the WFRPod power supplies to be stretched when both are running high power.  Ask WFR for a AC POE device and they can get you one to replace the current one and that may clear up any power related re-boots that are happening.

2008 DynaMax Ultra Sport 45 (WFRMax)
450HP Mercedes, Allison 6 Auto, Cat GenSet
WiFiRanger GoG (775205), WFRMobile, WFRXtreme

#65 TreyandSusan

TreyandSusan

• Validated Members
  • 389 posts
  • SKP#:108475

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have the Bullet2, purchased from WFR when they were first available and to the best of my ability the highest Airfirmware version I can find for that model is 4.0.3, So, I guess the first issue is mute unless it is also occurring in the Bullet2 with 4.0.3 as well. Factory defaults were used with the exception of changing the Network  IP address settings (192.168.44.20, etc.) to avoid the IP conflicts with some park wifi and novatel mifi jetpack (also WFR purchased).

I do use the pod for power because that is what came with the unit, so, I guess that would be the next solution to try/buy. Unless the newer firmware power issue spoken of is with the 5.5.3 and not the 4.0.3, which I use.

Susan & Trey Selman | HDT: 2001 770 VED12 | 5er: 2002 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | 2008 Piaggio MP3 400 | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

#66 The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

• Validated Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have the Bullet2, purchased from WFR when they were first available and to the best of my ability the highest Airfirmware version I can find for that model is 4.0.3, So, I guess the first issue is mute unless it is also occurring in the Bullet2 with 4.0.3 as well. Factory defaults were used with the exception of changing the Network  IP address settings (192.168.44.20, etc.) to avoid the IP conflicts with some park wifi and novatel mifi jetpack (also WFR purchased).

I do use the pod for power because that is what came with the unit, so, I guess that would be the next solution to try/buy. Unless the newer firmware power issue spoken of is with the 5.5.3 and not the 4.0.3, which I use.

If you migrated to 6.6.3 on your WFR, you may set the AIrOS IP back to 192.168.1.20 by pushing the reset button on the bottom of the boost and holding it.   Then try and re-configure the WFR to support it.   The 6.6.3 firmware will solve the IP address issues now without having to change the IP address.    If you want to try an AC power adapter, email support@wifiranger.com and request one.  They will send one at no charge to WFRPod owners.

2008 DynaMax Ultra Sport 45 (WFRMax)
450HP Mercedes, Allison 6 Auto, Cat GenSet
WiFiRanger GoG (775205), WFRMobile, WFRXtreme

#67 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 781 posts
  • SKP#:109233

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

I just sent in 3 non working wfr's (one go and a couple of the originals). I have a Boost and will be back here when I get them back. Hopefully, some day I'll get a stable, working network. It's been an elusive goal of mine for a couple of years.

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#68 otterlakeram

otterlakeram

• Validated Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

DocJ, I sent you a PM, as I too am now unable to connect with my go or mobile.  When I do a wifi scan, it doesn't pick up any wifi networks?????? 

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

2014 Lifestyle LS38RS
2010 33L CC Silverback/SOLD
2 Labs,
Formerly from the Thumb of MI
NRA Life Member
IAFF/L-352 Retired

#69 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2055 posts
  • SKP#:111554

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

I got muine back a couple of weeks ago. But since I'm hooked into a hardwire for the network I haven't set it up yet.  Maybe I should.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

#70 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2833 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

DocJ, I sent you a PM, as I too am now unable to connect with my go or mobile.  When I do a wifi scan, it doesn't pick up any wifi networks?????? 

I sent you a response, but your PM didn't include anything about it not picking up wifi networks.  I don't know how you know it doesn't pick up networks if you can't connect to it.  Let me know the situation after you have followed the directions I provided in my PM.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg