Which 5'er has the best roof ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 fyrfytr

fyrfytr

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

I know carriage 5th wheels have had a considerable " WRINKLE" problem. They also have had screws sheared off at the end caps (not all, but some models).

Please forward your advise / opinion as to which 5'er has the BEST roof.

#2 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 6107 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

All else being equal, I like one-piece aluminum roofs.  However, I wouldn't (and we didn't) let the fact that an RV had a different kind of roof stop me from buying it.  Our Classic Excel has a rubber roof (the Limited has a one-piece aluminum roof, but when we bought our rig back in 2007, the exact same floorplan with the same options was over $10,000 more than the Classic...too much to make the aluminum roof worth the extra price *for us*).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#3 fyrfytr

fyrfytr

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Your point is well taken....

There is a certain price point that makes some solutions not worth it, but......

I actually did hold back on the purchase of a carriage because of the wrinkle problem.  You remember the old adage "where there's smoke, there's fire"....today wrinkles (more like buckles) ,tomorrow roof separation, headaches, grief and $$$$ ???

#4 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4667 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Define "BEST".  Are you concerned about material, longevity, ease of installation, ease of maintenance, resistance to tears/punctures, resistance to UV, or what?  IMO how a roof is installed and what lies under it is as important as the material itself.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#5 CookieMon

CookieMon

• Validated Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

All else being equal, I like one-piece aluminum roofs.  However, I wouldn't (and we didn't) let the fact that an RV had a different kind of roof stop me from buying it.  Our Classic Excel has a rubber roof (the Limited has a one-piece aluminum roof, but when we bought our rig back in 2007, the exact same floorplan with the same options was over $10,000 more than the Classic...too much to make the aluminum roof worth the extra price *for us*).

I thought the Limited had a fiberglas roof.

#6 fyrfytr

fyrfytr

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Define "BEST".  Are you concerned about material, longevity, ease of installation, ease of maintenance, resistance to tears/punctures, resistance to UV, or what?  IMO how a roof is installed and what lies under it is as important as the material itself.

OKAY,

I guess that all these factors are not only relevant, but necessary to define "the best"......given this as a criteria to define best....

Does the aluminum, or the one piece fiberglass fit the bill ??? or other ??

#7 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2518 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

As probably in excess of 90% of all 5th wheels have a "rubber" roof, your choice of anything else is extremely limited.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#8 fyrfytr

fyrfytr

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

As probably in excess of 90% of all 5th wheels have a "rubber" roof, your choice of anything else is extremely limited.

Newt

Rubber....Would vinyl be included in that 90 % ? 

...I am quite sure that the carriage have a vinyl roof.  I know that once upon a time we had a 34 ft. Avion 5'er and it had a rubber roof. We did not have a lick of grief with that one. I believe that New Horizons have a one piece fiberglass roof. I have wondered how the fiberglass and the aluminum roofs would weather a nasty hail storm ??

#9 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4806 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

We have a fiberglass, just like the Excel Limiteds. Very few 5th-wheel manufacturers have/had fiberglass roofs.  We would be had put not to have a fiberglass roof.  We worry about branches and the solar panels but not scratching the roof.

When we first shopping, we heard comments about noisy roofs in rain.  Well we can attest that our Travel Supreme is quieter than the Pace Arrow with a rubber roof.  Sound is more an issue of the ceiling insulation.

I had one manufacturer that only offered rubber roofs try to convince me that fiberglass roofs are prone to leakage.  We replied that would be a significant thing to all the fiberglass boats out there.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#10 Don & Brooksy

Don & Brooksy

• Validated Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I'm pretty sure Linda H meant fiberglass roof. The Excel Corp now offers a Rhino coating sprayed on their roofs to add longer life to the roof.

#11 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18724 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

New Horizons has a one piece pebbled fiberglass roof. No seams at all. It is a laminated structure. 4" of blue Dow Corning high density foam, with the AC ducts cut into the bottom 2". Thus the ducts have 2" of rigid foam over them and do not take on heat like most manufacturers roofs.  Because it is a lamintaed structure the roof is solid.....no flex at all.

Is it the best roof? I don't know. But I do know it is very good.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#12 AlCherry

AlCherry

• Validated Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

I think that no matter what roof you have, proper care and a cover are key to it lasting. I learned another hard lesson from my last RV by not protecting it while it was parked. This one has it's own garage, and I wash and inspect the roof every six months.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson TriGlide
4 cam Pro Mod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army

#13 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2518 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Rubber....Would vinyl be included in that 90 % ? 

...I am quite sure that the carriage have a vinyl roof.  I know that once upon a time we had a 34 ft. Avion 5'er and it had a rubber roof. We did not have a lick of grief with that one. I believe that New Horizons have a one piece fiberglass roof. I have wondered how the fiberglass and the aluminum roofs would weather a nasty hail storm ??

I use "rubber" generically for all of the membrane type roofs.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#14 Ronbo

Ronbo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 871 posts
  • SKP#:116650

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Dynamax has fiberglass roof
Ron C.
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3
2000 Kenworth T2000

#15 fyrfytr

fyrfytr

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

New Horizons has a one piece pebbled fiberglass roof. No seams at all. It is a laminated structure. 4" of blue Dow Corning high density foam, with the AC ducts cut into the bottom 2". Thus the ducts have 2" of rigid foam over them and do not take on heat like most manufacturers roofs.  Because it is a lamintaed structure the roof is solid.....no flex at all.

That is pretty impressive !!! 

Jack, have they always manufactured roofs like that or is that just the new ones ????

#16 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18724 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

That is pretty impressive !!! 

Jack, have they always manufactured roofs like that or is that just the new ones ????

The new ones have the 4" of blue styrofoam...but they have always been a laminated structure with styrofoam....I believe at one time on the older units the fiberglass was 2-piece. But all the later ones are one piece.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#17 Ellenkb

Ellenkb

• Validated Members
  • 81 posts
  • SKP#:113735

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

We specifically chose our Work N Play 5th wheel, because we were sick of rubber roofs! Now have one piece metal and love the piece of mind...just need to caulk yearly around the AC vents, etc. Also chose it because we were sick of slide out leaks, malfunctions...had four other rigs and slideout issues abounded!

#18 jblscooper

jblscooper

• Validated Members
  • 338 posts
  • SKP#:32353

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

We specifically chose our Work N Play 5th wheel, because we were sick of rubber roofs! Now have one piece metal and love the piece of mind...just need to caulk yearly around the AC vents, etc. Also chose it because we were sick of slide out leaks, malfunctions...had four other rigs and slideout issues abounded!

I'm curious how roof material would effect slideout operation?

Jim