Photo

Over-Night in Flying-J or Other Truck Stops...

Flying-J TSA Loves truck stops

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#21 Eric and Susan

Eric and Susan

• Validated Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Found this webiste that has Walmart and Sams that allow overnight parking: http://travelinwithu...ht-parking.html

We just drove from WV to CO on I 70 and spent 2 nights at 2 different Walmarts on the way. We have tried truck stops before, but found trucks come and go all night making it very noisy. Most truck stops also tend to be more crowded at night than Walmarts.

#22 TJ

TJ

• Validated Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

Found this webiste that has Walmart and Sams that allow overnight parking: http://travelinwithu...ht-parking.html

We just drove from WV to CO on I 70 and spent 2 nights at 2 different Walmarts on the way. We have tried truck stops before, but found trucks come and go all night making it very noisy. Most truck stops also tend to be more crowded at night than Walmarts.

Eric and Susan... Thanks! This is one of the best web sites I hae seen. I will surely pass it along and share with others.

2008 Dynasty All Electric

http://10wheelswitha....wordpress.com/

#23 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6217 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

I also find truck stops much too noisy and I'm not fond of rest areas either although I do stop at them for short naps. My RV is short so I really like Cracker Barrel with WalMart as second choice although I will take Cabelas without any hesitation if one happens to be in the right place at the right time. I did, however, stop at one that had a designated truck/RV parking lot that was as bad as a truck stop.

Linda Sand

2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#24 roadhousecharley

roadhousecharley

• Validated Members
  • 336 posts
  • SKP#:115320

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

We are "some" timers until the end of June and in blast from place to place mode. We look for Walmarts and have never had a problem but I wouldn't call it quiet. Would stay at a Flying J but the RV spaces are usually taken by the time we stop. Anyplace can be noisy but truck stops always seem to be.

Starting in July we'll be "alotta" timers. Pace will slow down and hopefully get to the 2,2,2 plan I got from Soos. No more than 2 hundred miles, off the road by 2 PM, and stay at least 2 days. That'll probably put us mostly in campgrounds.

Safe travels,
roadhousecharley
Class of 13
SKP#115320
'92 Monaco Crown Royal Signature
'02 Jeep Wrangler
'03 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
24' Leonard Enclosed V-nose, Dual Ramp trailer

15433597052_970b68fe6d.jpg

#25 beyerjf

beyerjf

• Validated Members
  • 211 posts
  • SKP#:113873

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I am an owner-operator who is on the road about 250 nites a year and I avoid truckstops. Have to use them of course, but when a truckstop is full by 7 PM and you are in an RV in the truck parking area, some truckers are going to mutter under their breath about it but thats all. In 35 years and 4 million miles I have hundreds of alternatives my GPS, but most would not work for RV'ers
Example, I will park on the street in an industrial park, quiet but isolated not near any creature comforts.

Jeff Beyer

Active trucker for Trailer Transit

2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover

2008 Work and Play 34FK

#26 NadaThing

NadaThing

• Validated Members
  • 221 posts
  • SKP#:116603

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Flying J in Kingman, AZ. It was the first night in our new to us MH. Intended to go to an RV spot but was too late so did the parking lot.  Some noise, but nothing really annoying. The 2 readily apparent advantages were the convenient (and clean!) showers and the Dennys that was a very short walk away.

Super Walmart in Twin Falls, ID - bleh.  Half the doors were locked/blocked so it was a good hike just to get in. Cars in and out with the booming bass, kids on skateboards at 2am.  The only good thing about this store was I finally found the location where all those "interesting" photos at Walmart come from.

Its not the Destination nor the Journey.
Its the Excursion - 2014 Fleetwood Excursion 33d
Coast Guard 76-96, 911 centers since.

#27 RickW

RickW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

While I use Flying J/Piliot frequently for fuel, I have never spent the night in a truck stop.  A rest stop/area can be noisy unless they have a seperate area for RVs or picnic area that is away the main parking area.

We do frequently use Wal-Marts for an overnight when between 2 points.  Noise levels very but all in all they are quiet enough for a good nights sleep.  This past trip we did notice that more and more trucks are spending the night at Wal-Marts now.  We pulled in to the Wal-Mart in Childress, TX just after midnight and only 1 RV was in the lot before us but there must have been 3 dozen trucks.  Looked more like a truck stop.  Stopped at 2 other Wal-Marts for a overnight before the trip was over.  In each case more trucks than RVs but at the last WalMart the trucks were only there for a few hours at a time before moving on.

I know truck stops get crowded and they have to stop when they run out of hours but hopfully they will not ruin it for RVs at WalMarts and other RV friendly places.  My neighbor drives for WalMart and has said some stores are now refusing overnight stays due to the trucks.

2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift
2009 Montana 3400RL

#28 SIBERNUT

SIBERNUT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2896 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I feel comfortable in truck stops. Try to back up to a curb when I can with the RV, makes you look like a regular truck. But remember, "The world is a man's bathroom".

Caveat Empty-er

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobuc.../?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Nooka & CH. Sedona
dolphins.jpg

#29 Jim&Alice

Jim&Alice

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 657 posts
  • SKP#:109969

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

We have had good experience in utilizing the Flying J/Pilot lots... Lots can be noisy, but we keep a stock of soft ear plugs... that works fine!   Best experience has been at those that have RV designated parking spots.   Having said that, we have used Walmart lots far more often simply due to the fact more lots are available.   We find them to be more quiet.   In all cases, we observe recommended courtesy.

Jim

2007 Dolphin
2008 Honda CR-V
Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, and Base Plate, US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog:   Click Here

#30 Butch "Toolhead"

Butch "Toolhead"

• Validated Members
  • 188 posts
  • SKP#:110382

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

We are "some" timers until the end of June and in blast from place to place mode. We look for Walmarts and have never had a problem but I wouldn't call it quiet. Would stay at a Flying J but the RV spaces are usually taken by the time we stop. Anyplace can be noisy but truck stops always seem to be.

Starting in July we'll be "alotta" timers. Pace will slow down and hopefully get to the 2,2,2 plan I got from Soos. No more than 2 hundred miles, off the road by 2 PM, and stay at least 2 days. That'll probably put us mostly in campgrounds.

I like that anolagy 2 2 2 I will try that when we become a lotta timers.

2013 Phaeton 40'
2012 Jeep Wrangler
Married 44 Years
3 Grandchildren
NRA Member and Active Shooter/Reloader
Hunting, Fishing, Golf
Veteran US Army
Owned and Operated a Cutting Tool Mfg Factory
Now Retired
Very active seller on eBay for 11 Years

#31 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6217 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Our daughter was here over Memorial Day weekend. She drives truck for a living. The local truck stop was totally full that weekend with drivers who couldn't get loads out because businesses were shut down for the holiday. Knowing that now I would be more reluctant to stop at a truck stop on a holiday weekend since these people don't have the ability to just go somewhere else. Her company tells her what roads to take where and she is not allowed to deviate from that plan with their permission. Fortunately, she was able to drop her trailer in a secure lot and come park at our apartment complex for the weekend but not all drivers had that option.

Linda Sand

#32 oRV

oRV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 753 posts
  • SKP#:75065

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Didn't know Cabela's or Cracker Barrell allowed overnight parking (if) available... The GPS and Wally World sounds like the answer if in a hurry and need to travel ASAP. Thanks for the input...

Although we often frequent Wal-Mart for a good night's sleep, we are currently at the Cabelas here in Olympia, WA.  They not only encourage RIvers with long marked spaces, but also have a free dump station.  As always,oRV

oRV
75065 Lifetime Member
2010 Phaeton 40 QTH
2011 Honda CR-V Toad

#33 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3069 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Glad to hear you can now overnight at the Lacey (Olympia) Cabela's.  Lacey police had not been letting them allow it, even though the Wal-Mart across I-5 has had overnighters for years and years.  

"Beau Legs Fish and Chips" at 8765 Talon LN E, 98516, is not far away and a great place for fish n chips, gumbo, shrimp po-boys, etc. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing 2012 AWD Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#34 Invizatu

Invizatu

• Validated Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

We were coming home from a Heartland rally in Indiana this past week and although we stayed most nights at US Army Corp Of Engineer campgrounds along the way, we did a couple of nights at Wal-Marts and they were great. We did hit a hitch as we were taking a back road through Arkansas and had planned on staying at the Wal-Mart in Arkadephia (Arkansas) right on I-30 West and got there just about dusk when we discovered that they and many other businesses had posted signs saying no 18 wheelers and had goal post at all the entries into their lots with a height restriction of 12'6".  We are 12'10", so it was back on the road again until found one in Texarkana for the night. We also stayed at a Wal-Mart in Terre Haute, Indiana that had no 18 wheelers (overnite) signs posted. I guess it is becoming a problem for them.

Bret - Sandie & Sara...(our RV Terrier) :rolleyes:

2012 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 Dually CC  LB

2014 Heartland Bighorn 3570RS 5th wheel

#35 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6217 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

We did hit a hitch as we were taking a back road through Arkansas and had planned on staying at the Wal-Mart in Arkadephia (Arkansas) right on I-30 West and got there just about dusk when we discovered that they and many other businesses had posted signs saying no 18 wheelers and had goal post at all the entries into their lots with a height restriction of 12'6".  We are 12'10", so it was back on the road again until found one in Texarkana for the night. We also stayed at a Wal-Mart in Terre Haute, Indiana that had no 18 wheelers (overnite) signs posted. I guess it is becoming a problem for them.

The problem is often weight--they didn't build those parking lots for semi-trucks. If you have a tall but not heavy rig you can sometimes go through their truck loading area in a lot but if you are heavy you might sink into the asphalt which would not be fun.

Linda Sand

#36 Eric and Susan

Eric and Susan

• Validated Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

More often than not if I a Walmart does not allow overnight parking for RVers its because of a local ordinance. I can think of a few off hand...Cheyenne, WY and Indianapolis. Both are due to local city laws. We spent the night at the Walmart in Terre Haute, IN 2 months ago and there were signs everywhere saying no 18 wheelers. We asked the customer service desk about parking our RV in the corner of the lot for the night and they said it would be fine.

#37 skpjose

skpjose

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts
  • SKP#:46346

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

We've been RVing since 1996.  Flying J has been a first choice when traveling from point A to Point B.  Never had a problem, truckers seem to envy us and some plan on doing what we're doing "someday".  We park as far back as we can, need a pull through since we're towing a car.  Truck stops are "dirtier" than WalMarts, just gotta watch where you step and make sure your pooch doesn't eat some of the stuff that's on the ground.  We use Passport America if we want to stay in an area for a couple of days.  Try to keep the day under 300 miles.

#38 RVTEN

RVTEN

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 918 posts
  • SKP#:37713

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

We prefer FJ for overnight. Stay in the RV section or way out in a parking lot if the have one.

DW does not feel safe in a WM. CB found them hard to find a parking space during business hours.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
2008 Winnebago Aspect 29H
(No SUch Thing as a B+)
Toad Ford Flex 2010

#39 exploringusa48

exploringusa48

• Validated Members
  • 32 posts
  • SKP#:111544

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Kirk, how do you find the city parks that let RVer's stay the night? Is there a book or website?

Kevin & Janet Shaw 

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 31SA & 2014 Jeep Wrangler

RV Blog: http://seizethedayrvadventure.com/

Thousand Trails, Passport America, FMCA, Escapees, Good Sam 

#40 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6217 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Kirk, how do you find the city parks that let RVer's stay the night? Is there a book or website?

I'm not Kirk but if you join the Escapee's Day's End group you will gets lists of places to overnight that includes many city parks.

Linda Sand