Satellite Choices and What To Do...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TJ

TJ

• Validated Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

We are in the process of buying a used coach. It came from the factory pre-wired for satellite. I am assuming the original owner used a tripod. We are planning on full-timing. I have read and re-read input from many sources. Because of the dollars involved I hope to make the right decision the first time out of the gate. I am leaning towards Direct TV and the Traverler' antenna. My biggest concern with a tripod is someone walking up and stealing it although there are some advantages to a tripod over a roof mount; we are leaning towards the roof mount for piece of mind if nothing else. I'll be picking up the coach in the Fort Myer area the end of May or first part of June. Any ideas?

2008 Dynasty All Electric

http://10wheelswitha....wordpress.com/

#2 mrfrank

mrfrank

• Validated Members
  • 241 posts
  • SKP#:97992

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Get a Weingard Traveler and be happy!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Fulltiming in a
2008 Phaeton 40 QSH pulling a
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad with
Allie - Beagle and
Rascal - Beagle

"Not all who wander are lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#3 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17949 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

You can't beat the Trav'ler for function and reliability. But bear in mind you may still need a tripod depending on where your coach is relative to trees.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2012 New Horizons 42.5' Custom 5er (SOLD); New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#4 TJ

TJ

• Validated Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Yep, kind of the conclusion I've come to too... the dealer I'm buying from with install it with a base plate for $2600. Seems a little high but guess that's the price you pay...

#5 GzrGldGeo

GzrGldGeo

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 658 posts
  • SKP#:106686

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

I wouldn't worry about anyone stealing anything.

Is it possible?  Yes

Is it likely? Not in the least

I had that concern initially.  After 2 years and well over 100 RV Parks in Canada and the USA, I would tell you not to worry about it.  Somebody may give or leave you something you don't need, but it is unlikely they will take anything.  

I use the Dish 1000.2 on a tripod (rv4tv.com) with the VIP722K receiver and have been quite happy.  They better you get at aiming it, the happier you get.   :)  

George Roberts
1994 40' Bluebird Wanderlodge WLWB 500 HP Detroit Diesel 8v92
Towed: 2008 Jeep Sahara Limited Hardtop 4 X 4
Blog: Not a Moment Too Soon

#6 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 5865 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

We have the Trav'ler on our RV, although for Dish Network.  We don't carry a portable.  We boondock a lot, so don't park under trees because they shade the solar panels; therefore, we have a clear sky for the dish to find all three satellites.  If we're in an RV park with trees, we ask for a site where we can get our satellite tuned in.  Rarely are we any place where we can't get satellite.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#7 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Would love to have the roof mounted dish but observe that the majority of those that do still carry a tripod and dish .Does not make sense to me .Been using the tripod  setup for over 10 years and have never heard of one being taken.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#8 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4570 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Would love to have the roof mounted dish but observe that the majority of those that do still carry a tripod and dish .Does not make sense to me .Been using the tripod  setup for over 10 years and have never heard of one being taken.

My observation is just the opposite.  I rarely hear of anyone with a roof mounted dish who also carries a tripod setup.  There are a few, but one of the big reasons for the roof mounted setup is to eliminate the need to store that huge, ungainly dish and the tripod, cables and stakes that go with it.  After using a tripod setup for several years I changed to the roof mounted.  I got rid of the tripod setup immediately.  Like others have said, there is practically no chance anyone will steal it.  There are many things in life to be concerned about.  This isn't one of them.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#9 Big Greg

Big Greg

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 660 posts
  • SKP#:96353

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

We decided on a rooftop Motosat dish and DirecTV.  I waited almost a year to make the decision and knew that I didn't want to store and set up a tripod and dish every time we moved and would risk a rooftop no reception due to trees.  This is our 7th year on the road (every state and part of Canada) and we are very happy with our decision.  Less that 6 times have we not had reception and the automatic rooftop is just push a button.  In that case we watch movies stored on the DVR and local channels if any.  We decided not to get HD as I just didn't want to pay more.  If we are concerned about trees we power up the dish before disconnecting so we can move forward and back some.  As stated above we ask for sites with a clear view to the south.  If I were to do it again the only change I'd make is a Traveler system.   

If you plan to be in New England or the Pacific NW most of the time trees would be a much greater concern.  If you get HD remember you will have to lock onto more satellites.  The cost was $1600 total in 2008 and installed while we were in Livingston.  Here's his link: 

http://www.sats2go.com/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

#10 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2362 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

We have a rooftop dish and in two and a half years of full-timing have rarely had a site where we were totally unable to get a signal.  If we are parked under or near trees sometimes the issue boils down to how long I'm willing to move the MH around in order to get a satellite signal.  At our present location we plan on being in one spot for 2 months so not having any TV would have been a definite downer.  So I spent more than half an hour carefully repositioning the MH until the Trav'ler could find the DTV 101 satellite which had been "hiding" behind a tree limb.  We now get 101 and 103, but we are missing most of the channels on the 99 bird, but those are all carried as SD on the 101 so we haven't lost anything other than our high definition picture.

To clarify Big Greg's post, just because you have a high definition setup in your RV doesn't mean you always have to be able to lock onto all 3 HD satellites (with DirecTV,  that is).  All the SD channels are broadcast on the 101 satellite and it is all you really have to be able to receive.  The HD signals are on the birds at 99 and 103 and, most of the time, they are close enough to the 101 that if you can get it you get them as well.  But every once in a while that isn't the case.

Edited by docj, 04 May 2013 - 09:04 AM.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#11 TJ

TJ

• Validated Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thanks all.... nice two see and surely appreciate the feedback.

#12 mrfrank

mrfrank

• Validated Members
  • 241 posts
  • SKP#:97992

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yep, kind of the conclusion I've come to too... the dealer I'm buying from with install it with a base plate for $2600. Seems a little high but guess that's the price you pay...

The dealer that installed mine installed it for about $1900, including tax. Trav'ler was $1600, install $200, Misc parts $20, Tax 8% This was in the summer of 2011.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Fulltiming in a
2008 Phaeton 40 QSH pulling a
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad with
Allie - Beagle and
Rascal - Beagle

"Not all who wander are lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#13 Epinephrine

Epinephrine

• Validated Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I just love my portable dome system. Just place it where you want and it's automatic. Have a cable and lock for those place you quite arent sure of. Portable system will save thousands too ...no installation costs. Get HD with Dish.

#14 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2362 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I just love my portable dome system. Just place it where you want and it's automatic. Have a cable and lock for those place you quite arent sure of. Portable system will save thousands too ...no installation costs. Get HD with Dish.

FWIW, the fundamental limitation of any dome system is that it can only lock onto one satellite at a time which means that a DVR would be unable to record a channel while watching another (or record two at a time) unless the two channels happen to be on the same satellite.  For us that was a non-starter.

Sandie & Joel

rv+2+signature.jpg

#15 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4532 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

We do a lot of recording and use two TVs rarely on the same satellite.  No single LNBF (dome) dish would work for us.  We used a ground tripod for almost 6 years.  Good tools made the setup easy.

When we got the Trav'ler, we continues to carry the tripod system.  With our rig, getting a site large enough is the first goal, having satellite view is secondary.  So we have the tripod for those times when the large enough site doesn't have satellite view.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#16 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4144 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Make sure the dealer installs the new SWM Trav'ler for that price, not a carry over SK-3005

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB Banks PowerPack
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
"08" LT2 HHR Toad
Posted Image

#17 TJ

TJ

• Validated Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Make sure the dealer installs the new SWM Trav'ler for that price, not a carry over SK-3005

They quoted the newest model for 2013.  It is a Travler  SXSWM3 model and the price includes the base plate, mounting bracket and wiring harness and labor and tax for $2436.94.    Seems like a fair price based on what I've heard and seen....

#18 hitchup

hitchup

• Validated Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the new Trav'ler we installed 2 years ago versus the new one. Dyer's RV Supply carries it for about the same price as what we paid from a different source.  

If you're looking for information on newest model: use model #: SK-SWM3 Trav'ler

2014 DRV
Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB .... our home
2014 Ford F450 4x4 .... his office
Fulltimers since 3/2005

#19 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2362 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

The new Trav'ler works with DirecTV's SWM (single wire multiplex) system right out of the box.  The old Trav'ler requires ~$150 in extra parts in order to be able to use SWM.  Other than that they are essentially the same.  Even if you don't currently have an "SWM only" receiver you will some day since that is the direction DirecTV is going.  Therefore, getting the newer unit is the only sensible thing to do IMHO.  The new SWM Trav'ler will work with any receiver you have in your RV (even the older ones that do not require a SWM setup.)

Sandie & Joel

rv+2+signature.jpg